Cautionary tale: Snapshot Functionality

TauTsar

Cautionary tale: Snapshot Functionality

#1 Post by TauTsar »

I had unknowingly broken Snapshots ability to make a functional copy. By finding my last functioning backup I discovered that attempting to compile the Top-menu-panel-plugin was what broke Snapshot. Lesson; check Snapshot's viability after creation, I use Virtual Box.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stevo
Developer

Re: Cautionary tale: Snapshot Functionality

#2 Post by Stevo »

Was it broken because you added an incompatible outside repository?

timkb4cq
Developer

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

More likely building & installing from source.
I suspect you will find those EXPORT lines in your ~/.bashrc and you can edit them out.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

TauTsar

#4 Post by TauTsar »

Stevo, I installed Easystroke from mx-testing repository but Snapshots still worked afterwards.

Timkb4cq, I tried compiling top-menu from source and also edited a couple of config files according to my bash history. I looked in .bashrc but don't know what to look for or how to begin repairing the damage. Besides after snapshot was broken I decided to update all my packages using the testing repository. Actually Chromium is functioning poorly now by using around 25% of the cpu, so much so that it's slow and unusable.

At some point soon I'll just reinstall. Lesson learned.

Thanks.

timkb4cq
Developer

#5 Post by timkb4cq »

I realize most people will not learn debian packaging, but if you must compile from source, use checkinstall instead of make install.
It will put the results in a bare-bones debian package that you can install - and more importantly remove if necessary. I used it extensively when I started compiling programs I couldn't find packages for back in the Mepis 3.4-3 days.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Return to “General”