-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Ideas for a "Quick Start" document

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Ideas for a "Quick Start" document

#71 Post by fehlix » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:01 am

oops wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:03 am
I like this idea too, but with synapse, I just tape "mx" keys and I have " mx-welcome" first (mx-accueil in french): , and all others mx-references, mx-manual , etc...

Code: Select all

mx-boot-options       mx-findshares         mx-packageinstaller   mx-snapshot           mx-tweak
mx-bootrepair         mx-live-usb-maker     mx-paste              mx-switchuser         mx-usb-unmounter
Note sure, wheher this is a good way of starting applications. I would rather recommend to stick with the provided starter available through the menu. E.g., just type "mx" within the whiskyer menu, and all "mx" applications starter are shown.
Reason: some applictions needs to be started as intended and provided within the menu-desktop-starter, e.g. some need special start-commands to get proper environment and privileges.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

oops
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#72 Post by oops » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:21 pm

fehlix wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:01 am
1-) Note sure, wheher this is a good way of starting applications. I would rather recommend to stick with the provided starter available through the menu. E.g.,

2-) just type "mx" within the whiskyer menu, and all "mx" applications starter are shown.
Reason: some applictions needs to be started as intended and provided within the menu-desktop-starter, e.g. some need special start-commands to get proper environment and privileges.
For 1-) The result is graphic (see picture) and you can use the mouse scroll, etc
For 2-) I did not know until now ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
$ inxi -S : System: Host:XEON Kernel: 4.16.0-xeon-01.efi x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 - Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon

PPC
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#73 Post by PPC » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:57 am

Hi again,
I don't know if this is the correct thread to say this, but I recently did try (and managed) to add Google Drive as a mountable drive to my file explorer. I've always used the web interface, but this was a very good small "trick" to speed up the process of backing up some stuff to the web. It's not a "linux Google drive client"- for me it's better than that, because I don't want to have a copy of a local folder on google's servers, always synching up. I just wanted it to be like a backup thumb drive that I plug in and copy files to when I want. and that's what I got installing and using "gnome-control-center" (and some dependencies and so on...). I haven't tested it but it seems to work with microsoft web storage and a few more...

My point: Does a entry like "Can I use Google Drive on MX-Linux?" seem to be important enough to be in a "quick start" document? Or it would be better to just mention that and refer to a (I belive not yet existent) MX Manual entry...
If there's too much information on the quick start guide, with won't be "quick" to read :frown: , but a MX manual entry is always helpfull.
The only "con" is when using a shared computer, everyone else will have access to your Gdrive without having to enter a password...

EDIT- and I just now found out about odrive (a google drive client with a appimage version. How did this escape me googling about a google drive linux client for so long? Anyway, I already got my GDrive available...

P.

KernSpy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#74 Post by KernSpy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:29 pm

Some kind of cheat-chart / graphic guide with cool tips & tricks, quick reference, pointers and good practices. The most important stuff from the FAQs, tips & tricks, wiki and manual. Could be made into a wallpaper / background. Just a thought ...
MX-17.1_x64 | System76 Galago UltraPro / Clevo W740SU | Intel Core i7-4770HQ | Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 | 16 GB DDR3 | Intel 530 series mSATA SSD - 240-GB | WD7500BPKX - 750-GB | Intel HD Audio. Note: [System76] and the Galago's neutered UEFI

Return to “General”