Ideas for a "Quick Start" document

HessenZone

Re: Ideas for a "Quick Start" document

#11 Post by HessenZone »

My wife and my brother's whole adult family (at least 5 who switched from Windows to Linux, all of whom have very limited computer knowledge with no interest to spend time learning more unknown stuff) all switched from Windows to Linux. None of them liked what needed to be learned in Windows over the years, in order to confront problems, take care of disk maintenance, get used to drive ID descriptions, and so on. All of them, like just about everyone else whom I deal with, were interested in using their apps of interest and nothing else. It's those types (most) of people in particular who actually feel that "they've learned a lot / enough already" about computers, that they're just not receptive to having to learn more. It's just human nature, after having already dealt with Windows for 10 or more years. So I don't fault them for that. BUT ...

... that's also why I feel the need to be compassionate to those who are making the Linux switch, by providing something far more basic and tolerable to deal with, when first powering on and logging into their Linux. The user manual is too much for newcomers or strictly Windows users. The startup/welcome screen is the perfect place to get people interested in more useful & linux specific information, which I would create with a triple whammy of sorts. Ever see the movie Starship Troopers - Want to find out more? (grin)
Anyway, the following idea is from that movie.

1. Login screen appears, user logs in.
2. After logging in, welcome Window appears by default on the screen.
3. HUMOROUS BUTTON - Linux quick 'n' dirty for us lazy folks! (I'm serious, adress everyone fun & jovially. Humor creates interest)
4. Clicking on Linux quick 'n' dirty them provides another menu while the first one goes away (like in Mx Tools/Tweak)

Sub-Menu Appears on the screen (it's at that point the only thing on the screen) ...

1. Using the control panel, find out more ...
2. Easy & Fun terminal use, find out more ...
3. Everything your panel can do, find out more ...
4. Windows Explorer = Thunar File Manager, find out more ...

I'm talking about nothing but very basic & general textual help after someone clicks on find out more (or whatever would appear there). Every Linux machine that I install for a new user has 16 single page (not in single-space either) PDF files. Since I teach everyone to treat their file manager as the most important tool of all, there's also a folder entitled 00 HELP in the documents folder. That folder contains those 16 files and when they log into Linux, the file manager with that particular folder already open, appears automatically. It's a much more subtle approach to helping someone because they're not being stabbed in the eye with a manual ... OMG it's a friggen book ... that contains a glossary with dozens of scary pages. It allows users to better pick & choose on the quick, followed by receiving a single page that can be read easily, with minimal time required.

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

anticapitalista
Developer

#12 Post by anticapitalista »

Personally speaking, I think attempts to show that linux = windows eg your
point 4. Windows Explorer = Thunar File Manager, find out more ...
is doomed to failure since Windows Explorer is not like Thunar File Manager and pretending that it is will serve to confuse rather than educate, however well intentioned.

Window users coming to linux need to know that linux is NOT windows. There are some similarities, that's all. That doesn't mean linux is difficult, just different and users should EXPECT it to be different. Those users that 'get this' will stay with linux, those that don't will give up.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

asqwerth
Developer

#13 Post by asqwerth »

How to install/remove programs: MXPI; mention the Popular Apps tab for a curated list of useful applications; [maybe a brief mention of Synaptic?]

Updating the system: MX updater, where the notification icon can be found, what to do when updates are indicated, right-clicking to get the settings window.

Plus: maybe touch on the MX-Updater entry in whisker menu, to re-enable MX-Updater should it not appear on the panel notification area
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

HessenZone

#14 Post by HessenZone »

This is by no means something that I would suggest using as it serves strictly to show another method of how a welcome window can look. Today everyone is into pretty pictures, symbols, etc., regardless if people are using Linux, Windows, Mac, or Android. Graphics pull people in, it's as simple as that and I'm sure that just about everyone in the Ad industry will agree with that. If Graphics work, don't be afraid to use them. I don't mind greyscale, but does it have to be so square without any fun in it?

Speaking strictly from a user point of view like my wife and my brother, both of whom will *NEVER* use a terminal, for people like that you have to have something that makes them feel at ease about a replacement for Windows Explorer which they may have been using for many years on their Windows machines. Like it or not, in MX Linux Thunar happens to be that replacement. Windows Explorer is the default user file manager for Windows XP, 2000, NT, Vista, Windows7, and that's exactly how I make use of Thunar each and every day on my desktop. Granted, Thunar is so much more and it can do so much more, but for those people who are used to Windows Explorer and strictly point 'n' click performance, Thunar will never be anything more than a file manager, until those people accept that it's okay to broaden their horizons ... on their own.
MX Willkommen_Start.jpg
Again, that image is nothing more than a rudimentary idea which could be expanded upon, fleshed out with more detail, or be ignored altogether.

EDIT: This here is a perfect example of today's "professional" computer user, who would have been much better off with some "windows understandable" advice, or better yet, a laptop with MX or Mint that was installed for this guy by someone with a tiny bit more computer knowledge. I deal with these types every week ...
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/switc ... 37406.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HessenZone on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

xali

#15 Post by xali »

i was trying bunsenlabs yesterday and they have a conky which is one of the first things you see when you try the live usb and this conky has some information to it. for example, super key + T = open terminal, things like that. i found that very interesting and very good idea.
here is a screenshot they have

TauTsar

#16 Post by TauTsar »

Grampa used to say, "If all else fails read the directions." So you KNOW I didn't read the manual. These days if there's a problem it's, "Google it." MX just needs it's own AI bot to serve up the answer.

A problem I just solved in MX was, How do I restore the backup of my panel configuration. The following steps were involved:
1 Key word search "panel" in the manual. Fail
2 MX forum search. Fail
3 Internet search. Fail
4 Help button on MX Tweak. Win!

Pierre

#17 Post by Pierre »

a Quick Start from where?

- getting MX and installing it ?.
- customizing an already installed MX ?

that's really Two Documents . . . and some N00Bs would probably need Both.
:)

starting with the increased difficulty in Dual_Boot with the latest version of the Windows System:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 2&t=163126
maybe a shorter version of that ?.

then another Quick Start on How to Use the MX system. .. . using the Basic Use - section of the MX Users Manual.
- which most probably what was originally being suggested .
:eek:

Jerry3904
Administrator

#18 Post by Jerry3904 »

As stated in OP, it's to be an item on the Welcome screen.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

HessenZone

#19 Post by HessenZone »

A quick start from the welcome window once MX has been installed. Look at the image above. Something right at the very top of the welcome window, which can be clicked on by people who don't like to read, for some very brief yet useful information. A window similar to the welcome window, with 8 - 10 quick links in text only form. Using your start button, Obtaining more favorites with right click, How to customize your side/bottom panel, Helpful tips for using Thunar, Return to welcome screen, etc. etc.

It truly amazes me how little technically inclined people on forums such as this, understand about people who just want to point and click, period, with as little as possible reading required. I deal with these people each and every week, month after month, year after year. Today, most regular users who are not technically inclined simply want either pretty pictures or for things to work with point 'n' click only. The ones that you can get to read, most of them are "over-burdened" when the amount of text passes the 1 page mark. They're still all (presumably) good people who can do great work with computers, but it takes a little effort to push them in the right direction, to be receptive to actually learning a little bit more.

So give them the welcome window, then a top choice there for quick n dirty lazy folks info., while keeping the wiki and handbook available at the same time. That way, with a little luck, if the user is satisified with the quick info., then perhaps later they'll be more receptive to reading information from the manual and the wiki as well.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#20 Post by Jerry3904 »

...once MX has been installed
Or running Live.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “General”