Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Kernel updates

Message
Author
User avatar
asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 3257
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:37 am

Re: Kernel updates

#21 Post by asqwerth » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:06 am

MX17 originally came with 4.13 to increase hardware compatibility with newer hardware. Not sure if at that time the 4.14 was in backports yet.

Then Spectre/Meltdown happened, and IIRC, Debian wasn't patching their 4.9 kernels quickly enough at first. WIth people with newer hardware already using 4.13, I can see why MX Devs went ahead with patches to a newer kernel, 4.15, for their own repos and for MX17.1, rather than go back to 4.9 as the main default.

Now though, with the security issues a little more stabilised, I agree that perhaps it's time to revisit which kernels should be updated/maintained, and which should be removed from the repos. However I think there will be some users who are happy with X series kernel and will say - even if X series no longer receives updates - that they don't want to move to a higher or lower series because something just doesn't work right on their machine with those other kernels.

As for liquorix kernels, I don't class them in the same category. People who actively install these would usually be more aware of the liquorix updates in MX Test Repo rather than just what's in the main repo.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

zorzi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Re: Kernel updates

#22 Post by zorzi » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:30 am

Ok. Thanks for answering and clarifying the situation.

User avatar
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 16175
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Kernel updates

#23 Post by Stevo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:21 pm

I'm also maintaining the latest kernel backports from upstream Debian in the test repo...currently 4.17.8, so that's another way to make sure you have the latest security fixes if your hardware works better/needs a newer kernel than 4.9.

Maybe the Package Installer could add those as an option, as long as I'm able to backport the upstream sources.

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9303
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Kernel updates

#24 Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Stevo wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:21 pm
I'm also maintaining the latest kernel backports from upstream Debian in the test repo...currently 4.17.8, so that's another way to make sure you have the latest security fixes if your hardware works better/needs a newer kernel than 4.9.

Maybe the Package Installer could add those as an option, as long as I'm able to backport the upstream sources.
mx-pi already has the backports kernel, from the backports repo.

https://github.com/MX-Linux/mx-packagei ... orts_64.pm
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 16175
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Kernel updates

#25 Post by Stevo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:55 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:53 pm
Stevo wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:21 pm
I'm also maintaining the latest kernel backports from upstream Debian in the test repo...currently 4.17.8, so that's another way to make sure you have the latest security fixes if your hardware works better/needs a newer kernel than 4.9.

Maybe the Package Installer could add those as an option, as long as I'm able to backport the upstream sources.
mx-pi already has the backports kernel, from the backports repo.

https://github.com/MX-Linux/mx-packagei ... orts_64.pm
I'm ahead of stretch-backports now when it comes to the latest release, but I suppose they are a close second...

bigbenaugust
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Kernel updates

#26 Post by bigbenaugust » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:40 pm

I just booted my MX machine at home with the 4.17.4 antiX kernel.

Code: Select all

baugust@epaphroditus:~
$ uname -a 
Linux epaphroditus 4.17.4-antix.1-amd64-smp #2 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 4 17:16:12 EEST 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux
--Ben

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9303
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Kernel updates

#27 Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:44 am

Stevo wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:55 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:53 pm
Stevo wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:21 pm
I'm also maintaining the latest kernel backports from upstream Debian in the test repo...currently 4.17.8, so that's another way to make sure you have the latest security fixes if your hardware works better/needs a newer kernel than 4.9.

Maybe the Package Installer could add those as an option, as long as I'm able to backport the upstream sources.
mx-pi already has the backports kernel, from the backports repo.

https://github.com/MX-Linux/mx-packagei ... orts_64.pm
I'm ahead of stretch-backports now when it comes to the latest release, but I suppose they are a close second...
If you've got a metapackage for the kernel it would make life a little easier. that's what the debian-backports and liquorix installers have. then the metapackage is removed, so that whenever someone installs it, it always pulls the latest kernel.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 16175
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Kernel updates

#28 Post by Stevo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:12 pm

Liquorix builds the metapackage as part of the main build, but debian has it as a separate "linux-latest" source native package. I'll take a look at porting it over.

Stretch-backports doesn't have any 4.17 kernel yet, so they are definitely behind ATM.

User avatar
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 16175
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Kernel updates

#29 Post by Stevo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm sending the metapackages to the test repo...I just realized that if someone already has the metapackage for the stock kernel, adding the test repo make the new one be seen as an upgrade and thus pull in the 4.17.8 kernel. It won't be any problem if the user sticks to the package installer process like we now advise, though.

Post Reply

Return to “General”