Kernel updates

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Kernel updates

#21 Post by asqwerth »

MX17 originally came with 4.13 to increase hardware compatibility with newer hardware. Not sure if at that time the 4.14 was in backports yet.

Then Spectre/Meltdown happened, and IIRC, Debian wasn't patching their 4.9 kernels quickly enough at first. WIth people with newer hardware already using 4.13, I can see why MX Devs went ahead with patches to a newer kernel, 4.15, for their own repos and for MX17.1, rather than go back to 4.9 as the main default.

Now though, with the security issues a little more stabilised, I agree that perhaps it's time to revisit which kernels should be updated/maintained, and which should be removed from the repos. However I think there will be some users who are happy with X series kernel and will say - even if X series no longer receives updates - that they don't want to move to a higher or lower series because something just doesn't work right on their machine with those other kernels.

As for liquorix kernels, I don't class them in the same category. People who actively install these would usually be more aware of the liquorix updates in MX Test Repo rather than just what's in the main repo.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

zorzi

#22 Post by zorzi »

Ok. Thanks for answering and clarifying the situation.

Stevo
Developer

#23 Post by Stevo »

I'm also maintaining the latest kernel backports from upstream Debian in the test repo...currently 4.17.8, so that's another way to make sure you have the latest security fixes if your hardware works better/needs a newer kernel than 4.9.

Maybe the Package Installer could add those as an option, as long as I'm able to backport the upstream sources.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#24 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Stevo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:21 pm I'm also maintaining the latest kernel backports from upstream Debian in the test repo...currently 4.17.8, so that's another way to make sure you have the latest security fixes if your hardware works better/needs a newer kernel than 4.9.

Maybe the Package Installer could add those as an option, as long as I'm able to backport the upstream sources.
mx-pi already has the backports kernel, from the backports repo.

https://github.com/MX-Linux/mx-packagei ... orts_64.pm
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#25 Post by Stevo »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:53 pm
Stevo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:21 pm I'm also maintaining the latest kernel backports from upstream Debian in the test repo...currently 4.17.8, so that's another way to make sure you have the latest security fixes if your hardware works better/needs a newer kernel than 4.9.

I'm ahead of stretch-backports now when it comes to the latest release, but I suppose they are a close second...

bigbenaugust

#26 Post by bigbenaugust »

I just booted my MX machine at home with the 4.17.4 antiX kernel.

Code: Select all

baugust@epaphroditus:~
$ uname -a 
Linux epaphroditus 4.17.4-antix.1-amd64-smp #2 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 4 17:16:12 EEST 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux
--Ben

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#27 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Stevo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:55 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm ahead of stretch-backports now when it comes to the latest release, but I suppose they are a close second...
If you've got a metapackage for the kernel it would make life a little easier. that's what the debian-backports and liquorix installers have. then the metapackage is removed, so that whenever someone installs it, it always pulls the latest kernel.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Stevo
Developer

#28 Post by Stevo »

Liquorix builds the metapackage as part of the main build, but debian has it as a separate "linux-latest" source native package. I'll take a look at porting it over.

Stretch-backports doesn't have any 4.17 kernel yet, so they are definitely behind ATM.

Stevo
Developer

#29 Post by Stevo »

I'm sending the metapackages to the test repo...I just realized that if someone already has the metapackage for the stock kernel, adding the test repo make the new one be seen as an upgrade and thus pull in the 4.17.8 kernel. It won't be any problem if the user sticks to the package installer process like we now advise, though.

Return to “General”