MX Linux with XanMod LTS Kernel

rdsu

MX Linux with XanMod LTS Kernel

#1 Post by rdsu »

Hi,

It's possible to use linux-xanmod-lts kernel on boot, by default, after every package upgrade?

Thanks for your support!

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX Linux with XanMod LTS Kernel

#2 Post by Stevo »

I don't remember any reports one way or another, but it should work fine if it's compatible with Debian Stretch. Kernels usually don't get removed or upgraded in place unless the packager makes sure that happens, such as for the stable Stretch Debian 4.9 kernel, so if you install the xanmod kernel and use GRUB Customizer to set GRUB to boot from the last booted kernel, you'll keep booting from it. The default is to boot from the last installed kernel.

Alt

#3 Post by Alt »

Also it's safe to use if you don't need DKMS drivers (NVidia, Broadcom, VirtualBox). Otherwise they may fail to compile as Xan uses latest GCC (for better performance).

rdsu

#4 Post by rdsu »

Sorry, but I'm not a Linux expert... :(

To use the XanMod LTS as default kernel, I had to change, in Grub Customizer, the first entry "MX 17 Horizon":

And when a new release is available, it's added to "Advanced Options...":

So, every new version, I have to change the default, and delete the olders...

[Edit: images fixed...]
Last edited by rdsu on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alt

#5 Post by Alt »

Images are broken.
I'm afraid that Xan's 4.9 series is abandoned but if you're ok with 4.9.90-xanmod88, you can safely remove current MX default kernel.
Launch Synaptic and remove "linux-image-4.15.0-1-amd64", close Synaptic. Then install "Debian 64 Bit" using MX Package Installer (as backup solution). Debian's internal numeration is like 4.9.0.6, Xan is "4.9.90-xanmod88" so Xan's build will always be in front of Debian's.

Return to “General”