MX Linux hit #7

Mauser

MX Linux hit #7

#1 Post by Mauser »

Congratulations to the MX Linux team as MX Linux has reached the #7 spot on Distrowatch. :clap: https://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=26
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

azrielle

Re: MX Linux hit #7

#2 Post by azrielle »

Yup, it just skated by Fedora!
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

azrielle wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:47 pm Yup, it just skated by Fedora!
And Antergos. The hosts on Linux shows at jupiterbroadcasting.com go on and on about those two distros for show after show, and I don't think MX has received one single mention over the years..

Old Giza

#4 Post by Old Giza »

This is great, and the team deserves a whole lot of congratulations. I never expected this, and it's secondary to having a distro that we all find really useful.

And just to keep it in perspective ...

mepis.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

clicktician

#5 Post by clicktician »

I think I'm the only MX user and forum member who thinks this is just awful. Every tick up that chart means the forum gets more and more posts like:

1) I just installed MX, and here's my opinion of your miserable attempt.
2) The window frames are not to my liking, so "it's crap."
3) Ubuntu doesn't do it this way, so you're doing it wrong.
4) I have 10 years of experience with Linux, and my 1952 printer doesn't work like it does with Mint.
5) My Linux boxes are 20 years old and have never been rebooted. You are lucky I am here. But MX isn't usable because it needs more than 64Kb of ram.
... and my personal fave...
5) If you can't solve MY problem, I'm just going back to Windows.

How long do you think developers and support peeps are going to listen to that relentless stuff without becoming discouraged and unresponsive?
Popularity is great for some things, and it's the death of others.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

Adrian
Developer

#6 Post by Adrian »

clicktician wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:10 pm I think I'm the only MX user and forum member who thinks this is just awful. Every tick up that chart means the forum gets more and more posts like:

1) I just installed MX, and here's my opinion of your miserable attempt.
2) The window frames are not to my liking, so "it's crap."
3) Ubuntu doesn't do it this way, so you're doing it wrong.
4) I have 10 years of experience with Linux, and my 1952 printer doesn't work like it does with Mint.
5) My Linux boxes are 20 years old and have never been rebooted. You are lucky I am here. But MX isn't usable because it needs more than 64Kb of ram.
... and my personal fave...
5) If you can't solve MY problem, I'm just going back to Windows.

How long do you think developers and support peeps are going to listen to that relentless stuff without becoming discouraged and unresponsive?
Popularity is great for some things, and it's the death of others.
That's expected, it comes with "fame". There are a bunch of insecure people who feel threatened if their favorite distro drops down in ranking and feel the need to attack other distros. As somebody who contributes code to the project I respond only to what I can fix and to people who ask for help and provide info (steps to replicate and logs) and don't demand stuff. There's no surer way to be ignored than to demand stuff from people who donate their time and effort (either in the form of code or help on forum). Also, there's a simple answer to many of those points: "use whatever works better for you".

duane

#7 Post by duane »

I hear you clicktician.
However I think each of us has a choice to be positive or negative in how we approach the forum posts.
Lets try to keep it positive.
This has been one of the best forums ever.
I am optimistic that it will stay that way, even though it may test our resolve.

Looking at it another way, we were all beginning Linux users once.

I really appreciate our forum moderators. They show a lot of restraint at times don't they?
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Jerry3904
Administrator

#8 Post by Jerry3904 »

Still, it tries my patience. Like the person who complained on DW that MX wouldn't let him out the panel at the bottom (sob)
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Redacted

#9 Post by Redacted »

duane wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:17 pm Lets try to keep it positive.
This is one of the hardest things for me when people start complaining (not asking) about this, that and everything.
I know I'm a relative noob to MX, but not to Linux. It's all I've been using for at least 12 or 13 years.
I have never seen a forum or distribution where the devs and admin are more responsive to users.
I've never had a distro that ran so hassle free and was so easy to tweak.
So again, why can't people post their problems in a civil and appreciative way?

stsoh

#10 Post by stsoh »

don't feed troll. :lipsrsealed:
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

Return to “General”