with MX, I never go distro hopping

Mauser

Re: with MX, I never go distro hopping

#11 Post by Mauser »

When I switched from using Windows to Linux back in September 2015 I started with openSUSE which was nice but then went looking to see if there was a distro I liked better which resulted into trying a distro that I can't say which one without violating the forum rules. I then looked for another distro and came across a video on YouTube of MX Linux which looked promising. I gave MX Linux a try and everything worked on the first boot up. :happy: I have been on MX Linux ever since. No more looking for something better because there aren't any better than MX Linux. :number1:
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

lonesomepoint

MEPIS

#12 Post by lonesomepoint »

Leo wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 9:58 am I went "distro-hopping" when I was trying to get away from Windows. Came across SimplyMEPIS and it worked. Little niggles along the way, but it's been over 10 years now, and I'm still here. Tried this and that over the years, but Mepis/MX has been my only OS. Kind of a tribute to how stable and satisfying it is. 'Course, the community might play a "small" part in it...

:number1:
Yes, and MEPIS was the first distro where I quit Windows and used Linux exclusively. Sometime between 2006 and 2008.

It must have been Distrowatch where I first learned of MEPIS; I don't know what else it would have been.

A huge stumbling block during my dual-boot transition period was that I had a lot of trouble connecting to my network and using the internet; and you understand how in the Internet age, that would be a deal-breaker for using Linux. I kept fooling around with the network settings trying to connect; and, regrettably, out of frustration I mistakenly blamed MEPIS when it was probably my fault. (I even posted obnoxious rants to that effect, to what is now my great embarrassment.) There must have been something I just wasn't getting, some setting that may have been obvious. I'm pretty sure the network settings manager in MEPIS was no more difficult than any other distro; but...before MEPIS, I did have a brief period of using a now-long-defunct distro named Xandros, and I obviously figured out there how to connect, because I remember using the online Xandros help forum. I have no idea why I could figure out my network connection in Xandros but not in MEPIS.

Richard

#13 Post by Richard »

What rule are you referring to here?
...trying a distro that I can't say which one without violating the forum rules
. I didn't know naming another distro was forbidden?
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb »

Richard wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:24 pm What rule are you referring to here?
It absolutely is not forbidden.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Mauser

#15 Post by Mauser »

The rule that says no distro bashing. Since I have nothing good to say about I would get a strike against me like I did the last time I posted it.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

richb
Administrator

#16 Post by richb »

Mauser wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 pm
The rule that says no distro bashing. Since I have nothing good to say about I would get a strike against me like I did the last time I posted it.
To be clear mentioning a distro is not the same as bashing. To quote the sentence in the Forum Rules:
You can talk about other distros here (talk or discuss, not bash for any reason), but no MEPIS or MX bashing.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Richard

#17 Post by Richard »

Ah, well.
I suppose it depends on what you say about it.

Usually enough just to name it and say it didn't suit your taste for such and such.
Many have been there.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Mauser

#18 Post by Mauser »

richb wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:48 pm
Mauser wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Richard wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:24 pm What rule are you referring to here? . I didn't know naming another distro was forbidden?
To be clear mentioning a distro is not the same as bashing. To quote the sentence in the Forum Rules:
You can talk about other distros here (talk or discuss, not bash for any reason), but no MEPIS or MX bashing.
Well then why did I get flagged by you moderators that it was distro bashing the last time I posted that distro?

richb
Administrator

#19 Post by richb »

@Mauser

I suggest you PM me with the particulars as I do not recall the post. Further discussion of this in this thread is off topic. There are no warning flags that are in our database for that post so I do not have a way to refer to it.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

handy

#20 Post by handy »

After >10 years of Arch & then Arch based distros, I'll never say never again... ;)

(I do miss pacman though...)
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Return to “General”