belingo

Driver=free/nonfree

#1 Post by belingo »

Hello.
I test a manjaro-xfce-17.1.10
In installation you may change driver=free or nonfree
It's very useful.
Maybe add to installer in mx?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Driver=free/nonfree

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

what driver does it change?

the only non-free driver mx ships with is broadcom-sta (the "wl" driver). We use an auto-detect script to pick the broadcom driver to use. So parts that can use wl will use that, and parts that can't will fall back to the open source drivers if possible.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

belingo

#3 Post by belingo »

no information about changes if on these setting (nonfree).
I think, they named these setting (driver=free or nonfree) - if you on in sources.list add nonfree
and you culd n't manual edit a sources.list non-free

Mauser

#4 Post by Mauser »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 8:01 am what driver does it change?

the only non-free driver mx ships with is broadcom-sta (the "wl" driver). We use an auto-detect script to pick the broadcom driver to use. So parts that can use wl will use that, and parts that can't will fall back to the open source drivers if possible.
I know what the user is talking about. They have the ability to change any driver for all hardware using the G.U.I. They also have choices, free and non free drives. This would be a great addition for the next version of MX.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

fehlix
Developer

#5 Post by fehlix »

Well, Manjaro allows within GRUB2-menu of the live ISO to choose between two boot options.
In summary the nonfree boot-option is to allow during live to have proprietary video driver like the nvidea-driver enabled! The non-free bootoption will trigger after booting from the live media
to run their hardware detection tool to identify and use during the live session
proprietary video driver. So it takes actually a bit longer compared to other distros, as most distro do not have provided such options at live-boot of the installation ISO.
That exercise is one of the extreme clever ones of those nice guys from Bavaria, Austria and Switzerland! :needcoffee: :alien:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “General”