My idea- for the MX Suggestion box, optimize option installer

roadapathy

My idea- for the MX Suggestion box, optimize option installer

#1 Post by roadapathy »

Ok, this is my big idea for MX Linux. If I were a dev, I would work on this myself. *sigh* I'm handing it off in hopes that it could inspire somebody- but maybe it's a silly idea.

I created this using GIMP to further illustrate the idea. Without the self-punishment of installing something link Gentoo, there could be another option- although more limited. It would be far, far easier for devs, maintainers, and users. The idea is simple: A small GUI tab with the MX installer, maybe under "advanced," where the user has a listen of files that he or she can decide to have compiled first before installing. It can also create just the DEB files to be used later. For maintainers, no problem, the file list is limited so having to update the compiling versions and options would be more simple. Things won't "break" as easily when the list is very limited. Maintainers can choose files they want to support and which could have an impact on the system speed.

My inspiration came from compiling SDL2 to speed up some games. I have even taken these system files and overwrote files inside game directories on Steam. I told Feral Entertainment, the company that ports a lot of the Windows games to Linux, that I did this with Mad Max and it sped up the game. They replied, "We like your style!" It works though. I couldn't play the game before the optimization on my old system.

I understand there's apt-build but I could swear that app doesn't pass my CFLAG options. I compile libraries myself but that takes time and this could make it easy for anybody.

What are your thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MX<3

Re: My idea- for the MX Suggestion box, optimize option installer

#2 Post by MX<3 »

Interesting... I've never delved into compiling because of the fiddly technical learning of it.

Maybe something like this would open up my Linux world a little...
My Computer
MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU
2x 8GB DDR4 2666 Memory Modules
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060Ti Grfx Card
M.2 x1 @500GB HDD x1 @ 2TB

roadapathy

Re: My idea- for the MX Suggestion box, optimize option installer

#3 Post by roadapathy »

It could! I compile a lot of source code. It's surprising easy to do and it can have noticeable results. For example, my game that use to studded. Now I can play it at full FPS.

One thing about MX is that Chrome browser is a bit pokey despite Google's efforts to speed it up. If we could easily compile that, maybe even remove some superfluous features, that dude would be much faster. I have done this before in the past with Xubuntu.

I hope this post inspires some MX Developers and maintainers! We would be able to gain some Gentoo and Arch users and I believe MX would be number 1 on Distrowatch.

Return to “General”