[solved] windows 10 dual boot

Protokol

[solved] windows 10 dual boot

#1 Post by Protokol »

Hello, just to inform:
On my PC(not my laptop) dual boot Windows 10 / MxLinux17
I launch the #Windows10April2018Update : 3 h download + installation
multiple reboot and last reboot I figure it out : not only Windows delete the MBR but it just simply ERASE my non NTFS partitions,
no linux anymore, bye bye MxLinux17 :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad:
so pay attention with windows dual boots....
Last edited by Protokol on Fri May 04, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hewlett-Packard Compaq Presario CQ71 Notebook
Kernel: 4.19.0-12-amd64 x86_64
Desktop: MX-19.2_x64 patito feo May 31 2020
Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Ram : 4GB

linwinux

Re: windows 10 dual boot

#2 Post by linwinux »

Better yet, unless you *MUST* use some expensive proprietary software on your personal (even for business) system, or unless you're a serious hard core gamer ... just dump that spyware called Windows10, which is actually able to follow every mouseclick and every keyboard stroke (without installing special software). It's unbelievable to me how, when the Web was still relatively young in the 90s, MS got sued and lost millions, had to change Windows to conform to privacy concerns from Countries all over the World ... yet today they're getting away with all of that and more. My, how times have changed ... :(

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#3 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Linwinux: Some people actually NEED Windows to do some things, so for them "dumping the spyware", as you call it, is not really the way to go.

Protokol: I wish I could offer a solution, my gut says insert the liveusb (or dvd) and reinstall grub using that.. but wait for those more in the know than I am for confirmation :)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Protokol

#4 Post by Protokol »

@Eadwine Rose : thanks ! I just tried to use a mxlinux usb stick but the mx tool grub recovery said error : no grub installed
for sure, there is no partition anymore... I think I know what I have to do : grab a shitdow 10 iso on a usb stick to recover the windows Mbr and after (I hope) the update finish his job, just install again another mxlinux partition... These so great windows updates are pretty mandatory now, you can't really escape for it.... so I know the future ones will destroy anything again (but I'll be prepared)

@linwinux I know you're right but I used to help some seniors which only have windows 10 pc or laptop, to do so, I need to have at least one computer windosed... My main computer is my laptop and it'll never see windows again, only my cherrish MxLinux17 (I'm in love with it ;) )
Hewlett-Packard Compaq Presario CQ71 Notebook
Kernel: 4.19.0-12-amd64 x86_64
Desktop: MX-19.2_x64 patito feo May 31 2020
Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Ram : 4GB

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#5 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Boy am I glad I have two separate hard drives, with windows on nr2 and MX on the first one and upon booting it shows win7 in the MX start menu. I have actually booted between the two from the bios for years. So far it hasn't gone wrong, and to make absolutely sure nothing happens I can pull out the linux drive if I have to (both are in a swappable bay thing).

Don't know about win10 as I don't have it, but it sounds like a pain alright! Good luck.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

I just keep Win 7 in Virtualbox. I needed tt at one time for Quicken, which I have since abandoned I keep it around but have not used it in months. So Windows in Virtualbox or other virtualization software is an option.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

linwinux

#7 Post by linwinux »

Eadwine Rose wrote:Linwinux: Some people actually NEED Windows to do some things, so for them "dumping the spyware", as you call it, is not really the way to go.

Protokol: I wish I could offer a solution, my gut says insert the liveusb (or dvd) and reinstall grub using that.. but wait for those more in the know than I am for confirmation :)
Excuse me, but I acknowledged the "need for Windows" right in the first line ....

stsoh

#8 Post by stsoh »

@Protokol, u know mx takes 5 mins to install.
just boot from usb-live, use gpart n set 32gb partition for mx.
install mx n grub at mbr. done, no big deal. :happy:
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

fehlix
Developer

#9 Post by fehlix »

I'd always recommend placing linux-ext4, swap etc partitions towards the end of the disk within an extended partition after the existing ntfs-partitions used by that OS. Additionally remember, as bios/mbr partition-schema allows max of 4 primary partition the other OS might become greedy to take one “not-used” partiton to be used for it’s new recovery partition of that OS as sometimes the size of the existing one might be to small for the new recovery partition.

You have certainly double checked from within a MX-live-usb using e.g Gparted that your ext4-partion is wiped out? In the lucky case when you find your existing ext4 MX-partition not wiped out, the chances are fairly good that you can recover.
If you can find an MX-partition but MX-grub-repair can’t repair the grub-menu/mbr.
Here what I would do:
Get the latest “Super Grub2 Disk“ to boot from USB stick. It’ll find the other OS‘s and MX-linux kernel and grub, installed. You have multiple choices to boot into existing MX-Linux, if available and also into the other OS’s bootloader to finsh the update process.
Happy booting! :fox:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

linwinux

#10 Post by linwinux »

Protokol wrote: @linwinux I know you're right but I used to help some seniors which only have windows 10 pc or laptop, to do so, I need to have at least one computer windosed... My main computer is my laptop and it'll never see windows again, only my cherrish MxLinux17 (I'm in love with it ;) )
I know it's a bit late for that now, but I've had friends & customers of mine run into some real serious dual-boot problems which I was able to resolve with the official Boot Repair Disk from here https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/. It's proven so invaluable a couple of times, that I make it a point to always have a boot .iso handy. Never had to try it with Win10 though.
boot_repair_disk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General”