REQUEST ... Adjustment to Installer for foreign Keyboards  [Solved]

MX<3

Re: REQUEST ... Adjustment to Installer for foreign Keyboards

#21 Post by MX<3 »

dolphin_oracle wrote:BTW, please keep in mind that antiX, and by extension MX, are perfectly happy running from a live-USB full time. Which is a primary reason why we don't throw up windows and questions everytime we boot live Media...
Good point. Cool, keep the improvements coming. :linuxlove:
My Computer
MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU
2x 8GB DDR4 2666 Memory Modules
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060Ti Grfx Card
M.2 x1 @500GB HDD x1 @ 2TB

linwinux

#22 Post by linwinux »

S._.A._.T._.U._.R._.D._.A._.Y._.nite .....
Opps, sorry, nite spelled without the 'gh' made me think of the Bay City Rollers. :eek: ;) Aww, gee, I'm totally dating myself here ... :bawling:
Alright, enough of that, just some first cup of Java humor in the morning. It'll normalize by cup 4 or 5.

Anyway, I have some ideas about the startup screen and was wondering if there's a way to make a screenshot of that screen ... or if someone can provide me with an at least 1024 pixel wide image of the start screen. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and that would enable me to actually show you what I'm thinking about. And as far as translations are concerned, keep in mind that if you have a language file I can do the German part. I'd have it ready within 48 to 72 hours.

There are some other questions/concerns which I'll be bringing up in another thread, since they have nothing to do with this one. Thanks for all of your time and input. ;)
PEACE

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: REQUEST ... Adjustment to Installer for foreign Keyboards  [Solved]

#23 Post by dolphin_oracle »

There is a screen shot tool included. It's in the menu or if your keyboard has one...PrtSc button.

Or are you talking about the boot menu? I think there are images in the manual.

All of our translation strings are on Transifex!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#24 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I think he means the screen where you land and have to press F3 for languages and such.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

richb
Administrator

#25 Post by richb »

For the boot menu, I think this would work. You can set up a virtual machine as in VirtualBox and boot to MX. When the boot screen appears, use the arrow key to key down to the next entry. This will pause the boor process and you can take a screenshot using the screenshot tool on the host of the VM showing the boot screen.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

fehlix
Developer

#26 Post by fehlix »

linwinux wrote: ... if you have a language file I can do the German part. I'd have it ready within 48 to 72 hours.
Why not grab the latest MX-User Manual in English and provide a German translated version.
I'd volunteer to proof-read your translations.

Doing string translations within transifex is certainly a good starter for helping.
I've just registered 2 days ago to look around. Even double checking to find translation improvements
would be helpful. Have a look here to get started https://mxlinux.org/wiki/mx-translations-translator
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

fehlix
Developer

#27 Post by fehlix »

Using virtualbox as proposed by @richb is a excellent way to take screen-shots from the boot-menu.
You would need to add the MX-Linux iso as a virtual CD/DVD-drive.
In addition to this. There is a "magic" setting within vbox:
Within virtualbox you can "switch" the system-properties between BIOS (the default) and EFI.
By this you could see and make screen-shots of both bios- and efi- boot-menu variations.

BTW - for the experts only - you can even have both efi and bios installations within one installation of MX in virtualbox, which I've verified a couple of times.
Howto: Install first in EFI mode. Within that booted efi-installation of MX-Linux
install bios-grub-menu "into" mbr ( perhabs check that bios-version of grub "grub-pc" is available/installed).
Now you can switch between bios and efi in virtualbox settings to see both variants of mx-boot menu.
Happy booting! :fox:

linwinux

#28 Post by linwinux »

A lot of older machinex don't support EFI or in some cases only experimental flakey early versions of EFI. I have several HP 6730b laptops right now and they don't support EFI at all, even though the bios makes that claim. Ended up installing MX Linux 64bit with a DVD ... haven't had to resort to a DVD for quite some time. (LOL)
I'll be looking at that translation link sometime later this week ...
PEACE

fehlix
Developer

#29 Post by fehlix »

linwinux wrote:A lot of older machinex don't support EFI or in some cases only experimental flakey early versions of EFI.
My rule of thumb: If you can avoid EFI do so.
linwinux wrote: Ended up installing MX Linux 64bit with a DVD ...
Elmar Hanlhofer tried to make the magic happen to boot from USB even when the BIOS is not prepared todo so.
https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html
So if you have a working USB-port you might find those comments here helpfull
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=44855#p443826
Have fun ;)

Return to “General”