static root persistence performance

Robert_P

static root persistence performance

#1 Post by Robert_P »

Hello. I'd like to start off by saying I love MX-linux, bang up job to the crew that has /is working on this project. Great work. I've set up a 32 gig usb 3 drive as static root persistence, running MX 17, just like Dolphin Oracle says he runs, on a machine with little ram, in his videos. Not necessarily that version, but... Anyway, he says that static root runs fairly quickly, from a usb 3 flash drive. Mine is a 32gb, usb3 drive, set up with a 20gb "usb live storage" folder. I do have a usb 3 port, on my laptop. My experience is, that a lot of writing takes place. Often, so, when the usb drive is being written to, because, it's all on the fly, you can't really do anything, until it's finished writing. sometimes, it's a lengthy process. I was wondering/hoping, you could give me any advice, or ideas, on how to make my user experience better. Thank you.

skidoo

Re: static root persistence performance

#2 Post by skidoo »

During your session, other than web browser, are any other applications performing frequent disk writes?

If using firefox:
visit “about:config” and specify browser.cache.disk.enable=false

After that change, the browser’s most-frequently-observed disk writes will be due to updated info being written to the Session Manager datastore.
about:config
browser.sessionstore.interval=
the default value is 15000 (milliseconds); I would raise the value to 120000 (2minutes) or more

Robert_P

Re: static root persistence performance

#3 Post by Robert_P »

The writing mostly happens during browser use, usually when there are multiple tabs open. I use Firefox ESR, which is up to date, just because some of my extensions don't work, with the new version. The boolean that you suggested I try and change, isn't part of the "about:config", selection. I'll make the changes, and I'll let you know. Thanks.

Return to “General”