Mint or MX?

asqwerth
Developer

Re: Mint or MX?

#21 Post by asqwerth »

Shiki colors isn't what I could call a particularly pretty theme. Are you sure it's the theme you have in mind?

We've already got obsidian theme and icons in the Popular Apps section of MXPI. There are a few other themes and icon sets there as well. I've also recommended a few others to the Dev team, but it was just when the meltdown and spectre problems arose, so it was put on the backburner. Certainly kernel updates, improvements to the installer, mx-updater, repo manager, etc are more crucial items on the agenda.

Do you have a few icon and gtk themes to suggest or recommend?

Not every icon set, pretty as it may be, is comprehensive enough to cover most of the regularly-used apps. And not every pretty gtk theme is compatible with the gtk3 version in MX, or even if it is, with XFCE (*cough* materia theme).
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Gerson

#22 Post by Gerson »

I used both distributions in my two laptops.
The HP with better hardware worked with Mint Mate and the Compaq with MX 17 and at the end of my tests I can say that MX is lighter and better worked; far exceeds Mate Mint so much so that now both machines have MX 17.1 x64
Also the forum in Spanish has given me the assistance I needed in time.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

bakedcookie

#23 Post by bakedcookie »

Let the wind guide my way~.

linwinux

#24 Post by linwinux »

Well, I know that these days many computer users/developers appear to be in to the dark themes, but I've never been able to find one where all text is always easy to read, regardless of lighting or time of day. So in the end, I always ended up reverting back to a lighter theme.

Having a cursor set which matches the color of your theme is really nice. I've never understood why distros don't utilize other cursor sets such as Oxygen cursors (or others) by default? They take up precious little space. I also enoy having symbols that do a great job of representing what they stand for. For that, I really like the Oxygen icons which are sharp & clearly defined. The standard ones wouldn't be great for dark themes, but those too (icon sets) are just another "prettiness factor" which require no work and very little space since they're already fully compatible with MX Linux.

I like to use shiki-colors because the Kokodi theme always uses whatever colors were selected by default. I don't know why, but shiki-colors and Kokodi provide me with a Window environment that isn't too garrish, while also not being too plain. Some of the shiki-colors are fairly blah though, so I just installl the 4 or 5 individual colors which I like best, from Synaptic. I have to play around more with themes, just haven't had a lot of time lately. For awhile I even played around with my very own icon sets, separating topics by color variations ... blue symbols for Internet/Network ... green symbols for graphic related stuff, whatever. I used those for a couple of years but eventualyl got away from that again. See sample below ... ;)
x1MATE_PLUS_XFCE_Panels.jpg
x2XFCE_Desktop_April_2013.jpg
x3XFCE_Desktop_June_2013.jpg
x4_Mint15_Mate_XFCE.Panels_Aug2013a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MX<3

#25 Post by MX<3 »

linwinux wrote:Well, I know that these days many computer users/developers appear to be in to the dark themes, but I've never been able to find one where all text is always easy to read, regardless of lighting or time of day. So in the end, I always ended up reverting back to a lighter theme....

Wow... I want all your Desktop Wallpapers! :eek:
My Computer
MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU
2x 8GB DDR4 2666 Memory Modules
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060Ti Grfx Card
M.2 x1 @500GB HDD x1 @ 2TB

linwinux

#26 Post by linwinux »

Yeah, and they say that looks don't matter so much (LOL). I have 27 years of professional computer experience and how my setup makes me feel when I have to look at it every day, matters very much to me. I work from home, so getting up in the morning, turning on the display with coffee in hand, requires "prettiness & coolness" for me to keep my mind happy. An attractive and clean desktop is the perfect way (for me) to start the day. I have a package of 40 wallpapers that I provided in the themes section. Take a look, I'm sure there are things in there that you'll like.

BTW: It's so easy to change things with XFCE panels, that those kinds of setups only take about 15 to 30 minutes to create. XFCE allows you to configure as many panels as you like ... I've had as many as six in the past (before the whisker menu existed) ... which you can place anywhere on the screen and configure individually, once the panel is unlocked. When you're finished, just lock each panel again. Transparency, descriptions, symbols, visibility during use, everything can be changed so easily. And unlike Mate panels which also don't provide total 100% transparency, once XFCE panels are locked, everything in them stays that way. ;)

MX<3

#27 Post by MX<3 »

linwinux wrote:Yeah, and they say that looks don't matter so much (LOL). I have 27 years of professional computer experience and how my setup makes me feel when I have to look at it every day, matters very much to me. I work from home, so getting up in the morning, turning on the display with coffee in hand, requires "prettiness & coolness" for me to keep my mind happy. An attractive and clean desktop is the perfect way (for me) to start the day. I have a package of 40 wallpapers that I provided in the themes section. Take a look, I'm sure there are things in there that you'll like.

BTW: It's so easy to change things with XFCE panels, that those kinds of setups only take about 15 to 30 minutes to create. XFCE allows you to configure as many panels as you like ... I've had as many as six in the past (before the whisker menu existed) ... which you can place anywhere on the screen and configure individually, once the panel is unlocked. When you're finished, just lock each panel again. Transparency, descriptions, symbols, visibility during use, everything can be changed so easily. And unlike Mate panels which also don't provide total 100% transparency, once XFCE panels are locked, everything in them stays that way. ;)
I know, right. Check this out!

I rocking this right now. The Panel looks awsome, see through!

And thanks. I found your shared pics zip, the same day I posted that I wanted them. ;)

On Topic: I was forced to go Mint. MX doesn't like my hardware atm...
My Computer

linwinux

#28 Post by linwinux »

That's a very nice graphic too. They could've done a better job with the Sun's rays though. Aside from that, yeah it rocks!
What do you mean by hardware atm ... ???

So far I've installed MX 17.1 on a single core 32bit setup with 2 GB of RAM, two very different 64bit dual-core 10 year old setups, each with 4 GB of RAM, and my personal 6 core AMD with 8 GB of RAM, separate Nvidea card, and SSD drives. I've come across some minor software quirkiness, nothing that couldn't be resolved yet, but so far no hardware issues at all (knock on wood). My own setup uses a dual-boot into Win7 too, but I'll be getting rid of that pretty soon since I only needed the Win7 for our TomTom GPS. Replaced that recently with a better smartphone GPS, so now Win7 can go where it belongs, in the rubbish bin ... ;)
Are you sure that the forum can't help resolve any of those hardware issues?

MX<3

#29 Post by MX<3 »

linwinux wrote:That's a very nice graphic too. They could've done a better job with the Sun's rays though. Aside from that, yeah it rocks!
What do you mean by hardware atm ... ???

So far I've installed MX 17.1 on a single core 32bit setup with 2 GB of RAM, two very different 64bit dual-core 10 year old setups, each with 4 GB of RAM, and my personal 6 core AMD with 8 GB of RAM, separate Nvidea card, and SSD drives. I've come across some minor software quirkiness, nothing that couldn't be resolved yet, but so far no hardware issues at all (knock on wood). My own setup uses a dual-boot into Win7 too, but I'll be getting rid of that pretty soon since I only needed the Win7 for our TomTom GPS. Replaced that recently with a better smartphone GPS, so now Win7 can go where it belongs, in the rubbish bin ... ;)
Are you sure that the forum can't help resolve any of those hardware issues?

We tried. MX worked perfectly, until I got an NVidia GTX 1050ti and upgraded to 8GB Memory... Then nothing but lock-ups on both MX 17.1 and MX 16 before that.

Tried going back to 16, and leaving out the proprietary Grfx drivers but the Nouveau ones wouldn't let me have DVI-D and HDMI output, to two screens...

So I tried to install the proprietary drivers with sgfxi because MX Tools wouldn't do it and I was left without X entirely. So I gave up. I'll be back for MX 18.
My Computer

djmclaws

#30 Post by djmclaws »

Although I tried out MEPIS years ago, I currently have Mint on my wife's, daughter's, and mother's laptops. It's perfect for them. Easy, stable, familiar, easy to maintain, and the Cinnamon DE looks nice.

Just recently (partially out of boredom) I tried out Manjaro and then MX Linux on just my laptop. My laptop has plenty of horsepower for Cinnamon or KDE, but I wanted to try out XFCE, and I read great glowing reviews on MX Linux. It's only been 3 days, and I'm still tweaking it and trying it out, but so far I really like it and am not missing Mint. Unless I run into a major problem, MX is probably going to stay..........unless I get bored again.

Pros:
Debian Base. I wanted to try a non-*buntu.
No PPA's.
Great set of tools and packages (at long last, I was finally able to get Adobe to work on Linux for my state taxes .....for next year).
Package installer/updater: Not as many pictures/reviews as Mint's, but I actually like the no-nonsense simplicity better.
First foray into XFCE.......always fun to try something new. Lots of customizing options.
Laptop is running cooler than before with Mint/Cinnamon
Very responsive and friendly forum
All important/necessary hardware recognized

Cons:
Just a few minor issues that I'm sure will eventually get worked out. Typical with any new distro installation (that's all part of the fun).
- not recognizing my wireless printer yet (can still use USB cable though).
- Doesn't recognize my touchpad on/off function key on the keyboard. I was still able to turn it off, as I rarely use the touchpad.

Return to “General”