Mint or MX?

bigbenaugust

Re: Mint or MX?

#11 Post by bigbenaugust »

Did they kill off LMDE? Looks like it's still Jessie-based. I was a fan of that for a while.
--Ben

skidoo

#12 Post by skidoo »

cyrilus31

#13 Post by cyrilus31 »

Was just wondering the same thing when I took a look at the website. Thanks for the info skidoo.

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

The new LMDE 3 is in the mail, I swear!

KBD

#15 Post by KBD »

Mint barely hangs onto LMDE as a 'nuclear option' just in case Ubuntu does something really stupid--which is not unlikely. I think LMDE has great potential but it just doesn't get much love from Mint.

Stevo
Developer

#16 Post by Stevo »

Well, based on what we now know about distro and package building, I think one guy with a laptop could whip out LMDE 3 in a weekend, but I might just be blowing smoke.

bigbenaugust

#17 Post by bigbenaugust »

KBD wrote:Mint barely hangs onto LMDE as a 'nuclear option' just in case Ubuntu does something really stupid--which is not unlikely. I think LMDE has great potential but it just doesn't get much love from Mint.
That was my understanding, too.
--Ben

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#18 Post by ChrisUK »

Regarding LMDE3:

Clem has been dealing with personal stuff - supporting a sick relative, and has been ill himself... Mint 19 is and always has been the priority, so LMDE3 will be released as soon as time allows.

*I have no connection with the development of Linux Mint or LMDE3.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

colin_b

#19 Post by colin_b »

linwinux

#20 Post by linwinux »

I've been working with computers ... building, reparing, customizing, upgrading ... since 1991. My switch to Linux was attempted several times between 1998 and 2005, but always with lots of frustration. I have no problem with the terminal, but I'm not a "terminal guru" and have my moments where I resent being forced to use a terminal if it's not really needed or a time saver. In 2008 I switched to Ubuntu with the Gnome (2.0) dekstop. When Unitiy came out, I learned to loathe the oddness of that DT very quickly, and wasn't too crazy about the new Gnome3 either. IMO the Unity Desktop is best suited for people who live on their smartphones. So I switched to Xubuntu in 2012. That's about the time that I became so thrilled with Linux overall, that I made it "my mission in life" to help first time users and others to either start out with Linux, or make the switch from Windoze. Mind you, I used Windoze professionally for 18 years altogether, so it was painfully obvious to me that Linux wasn't just better, but when confronted with the right Distro ... even easier to use than Windows. Thus began my search for the "perfect" Linux OS.

In 2013 my switch to Mint XFCE was made even though I really really liked Xubuntu. I made that switch because when I install for others or introduce them to Linux, it's really best when I'm using the same setup that I'm providing. Mint XFCE was the best out there for people who want to switch from Windoze. That way when there are problems, it's so much easier to work on the phone while comparing screens and explaining things. Also, later on the Mint Menu was just friggen awesome (although almost identical to the Whisker Menu). As time went on, Mint did become considerably more bloated, obviously partially also a sign of newer times and newer hardware. So a couple of years ago I started actively looking for a Linux distro that was good enough for older Laptops and Computers 8 - 12 years old, as well as a distro that was "child's play" to use for new users or people switching from Windows.

I can't tell you how man distros I've played around with during the past couple of years, but as far as I'm concerned MX Linux really hits the sweet spot. Nothing else "felt as right" as MX Linux and my mind has been made up that I'll be promoting MX Linux alongside Linux Mint. I would love to promote MX Linux exclusively which would also make it a lot easier on me (obviously), but for that there's still some real growth needed, primarily in the eye candy department as well as lacking in the games department (default MX package manager). I'm a firm believer in the fact that a picture does indeed say a thousand words and these days all standard Operating Systems are filled with pictures & viewable tools everywhere. I know that many Linux users scoff at looks and strive for performance, but you know what? BOTH can be achieved with very little sacrifice to resources. I don't find MX Linux visually very attractive ... because there's not enough available by default to make it more attractive.

There are some very nice low resource themes in Synaptic, as well as decent cursors. Those are IMO more important than pretty panels. The standard XFCE panel as well as the Whisker menu are so gosh darn customizeable, that I really don't see the need for more panels. Who needs that silly obtrusive Mac look-alike panel anyway? ;) But shiki colors, obsidian theme (as well as others), more icons and cursors, all make a huge difference in the look & feel of a startup desktop. Don't get me wrong, as far as I'm concerned MX Linux is a game-changer, but first time users and regular users with their own custom desktops ... do look for that ability to keep things pretty & cool.Whoops, look at that all of that text. Didn't mean to get carried away like that. Sorry, time to go. ;)

BTW: Kudos big time for the Conky themes! ;)

Return to “General”