Downloading games (Solved! THX)

Bierhundt

Downloading games (Solved! THX)

#1 Post by Bierhundt »

Since qupzilla won't download games that use apt, I used the wget command to download a game. Now that it's downloaded, how do I put it into the 'Games' heading in the menu? and how do I get it to work - there's no README that I can find.

Code: Select all

wasted space ;>)
Any advice/help would be appreciated. ;)
Last edited by Bierhundt on Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Downloading games

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

This makes no sense to me:

--What does "qupzilla won't download games that use apt" mean? I'm sorry, but do you understand at all how packages are handled?
--Why do you show a list of images? What does that have to do with the question I don't understand?

My advice: read the Users Manual Section 5! You generally get and install packages with MX Package Installer or Synaptic. Once installed, they show up in the menu.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

Please, when you ask for help, help us help you by providing more details of what you did, such as providing links. I suspect you are still using the Windows model of getting software from websites, and Linux versions there are very often just the source code, not compiled, ready-to-run programs.

But in the case of gnome-freecell, that's one in a collection of GNOME solitaire games already in the repo as the aisleriot package. I know the name is not intuitive, but you can search for "freecell" in the Synaptic package manager and it will show you that.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

That game is installed by default, buddy!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Buck Fankers

#5 Post by Buck Fankers »

Beginner myself, but maybe I can help.

To run that card game that is already installed on your system, go to MX menu (whisker menu) and type in "aisle" and you will see "AisleRiotSolitaire" card game, that you can play.

But, there is one really cool card game you may want to check out, it comes with over 1000 different card games. Go again to MX whisker menu (or whatever is it's name) and type in it "mx pack" and run MX Package Manager. Then click on "Full App Catalog" tab and then select "Stable Repo" once it is loaded, type in search box on the right side "pysol" and install first hit "pysolfc" and you will have more card games you can care for ;)

azrielle

#6 Post by azrielle »

And then there's the KDE RISK boardgame clone ksirk (which grabs about 170MB of KDE Library files, but hey, if you're into any other KDE apps such as kate, krita, kalzium, kalgebra, or kdenlive, why not?).
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

antiX-Dave
Developer

#7 Post by antiX-Dave »

Now I could be wrong but I think from the other slimming thread that the idea behind the question is how to install one game from a game pack...? to which the attempted answer was to download said game from outside of the repo. Likely as it is not quite clear how to select one outside of the pack when using the repo.

Bierhundt

#8 Post by Bierhundt »

Jerry3904 wrote:This makes no sense to me:

--What does "qupzilla won't download games that use apt" mean? I'm sorry, but do you understand at all how packages are handled?
--Why do you show a list of images? What does that have to do with the question I don't understand?

My advice: read the Users Manual Section 5! You generally get and install packages with MX Package Installer or Synaptic. Once installed, they show up in the menu.
Well Jerry, it means just exactly what it says - for instance I went to sourceforge and tried downloading a couple of games, one of which (FreeCell) came back with a message box that said it wouldn't download an apt game (or some such wording) in other words, I couldn't download it! When I did download a freecell game, I couldn't find it using 'find' so I used 'locate' and that was the output in the terminal. I don't like synaptic, or the package managers, I prefer wget if I'm downloading from a website and apt-get if I'm downloading from the repositories. That's the way I was taught in years past, and so now that I'm back to using Linux, that's the way I prefer to do it nowadays. If that's a problem, all you have to do is say so. I guess I'll just have to figure out these things on my own if it's going to cause heat on the forum. I'll try not to ask anymore dumb questions .... Thanks.

Bierhundt

#9 Post by Bierhundt »

Stevo wrote:Please, when you ask for help, help us help you by providing more details of what you did, such as providing links. I suspect you are still using the Windows model of getting software from websites, and Linux versions there are very often just the source code, not compiled, ready-to-run programs.

But in the case of gnome-freecell, that's one in a collection of GNOME solitaire games already in the repo as the aisleriot package. I know the name is not intuitive, but you can search for "freecell" in the Synaptic package manager and it will show you that.
Stevo - I had aisle riot, and deleted it ... I didn't need a bunch of games that are a waste of space. I just wanted Freecell!

Bierhundt

#10 Post by Bierhundt »

Jerry3904 wrote:That game is installed by default, buddy!
See my answer to Stevo, Thanks

Return to “General”