Downloading games (Solved! THX)

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Downloading games

#11 Post by Jerry3904 »

I just couldn't make any sense of it.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Bierhundt

#12 Post by Bierhundt »

Buck Fankers wrote:Beginner myself, but maybe I can help.

To run that card game that is already installed on your system, go to MX menu (whisker menu) and type in "aisle" and you will see "AisleRiotSolitaire" card game, that you can play.

But, there is one really cool card game you may want to check out, it comes with over 1000 different card games. Go again to MX whisker menu (or whatever is it's name) and type in it "mx pack" and run MX Package Manager. Then click on "Full App Catalog" tab and then select "Stable Repo" once it is loaded, type in search box on the right side "pysol" and install first hit "pysolfc" and you will have more card games you can care for ;)
@ Buck - See my answers to Stevo and Jerry, Thanks

Bierhundt

#13 Post by Bierhundt »

azrielle wrote:And then there's the KDE RISK boardgame clone ksirk (which grabs about 170MB of KDE Library files, but hey, if you're into any other KDE apps such as kate, krita, kalzium, kalgebra, or kdenlive, why not?).
Nope, just freecell, Majong, and Shisen-Sho, but thanks anyways

Bierhundt

#14 Post by Bierhundt »

antiX-Dave wrote:Now I could be wrong but I think from the other slimming thread that the idea behind the question is how to install one game from a game pack...? to which the attempted answer was to download said game from outside of the repo. Likely as it is not quite clear how to select one outside of the pack when using the repo.
Dave, at least you understood! I guess I didn't make it clear enuff. That's exactly what I was doing, when I couldn't get it from the Debian or MX repos, I had to go on the net and find a stand-alone version of the games I wanted, not download 200 or 300 Mb of junk I had no interest in, just for the sake of having 2 or 3 games I like to play. Thanks, you did a good job of figuring out what I didn't word correctly.

Bierhundt

#15 Post by Bierhundt »

Jerry3904 wrote:I just couldn't make any sense of it.
Sorry, it made sense in my head, but then, I've never been the best communicator, just ask my wife of over 50 years!

asqwerth
Developer

#16 Post by asqwerth »

If the developers of a games package make them all work and depend on one another in one pack, it may not be possible to extract just a part or a single game from it, and make it run. You''ll need to know enough about the program, programming, and packaging.

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=linu ... uiX57qqvAJ

From what I can see from those search results, even if there are individual programs that run just freecell, be prepared for stuff that looks different or ugly, or which are no longer maintained and so does not work on the current version of Debian.

If you can't find something suitable, I guess you have to ask yourself, is it worth it to "download 200 or 300 Mb of junk I had no interest in, just for the sake of having 2 or 3 games I like to play" or to forego the 2 or 3 games just to save 200 or 300 mb.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

asqwerth
Developer

#17 Post by asqwerth »

bierhundt wrote:I used the wget command to download a game...
You really do need to read up on making Package Requests, from the manual and this forum.

Because once you found what you thought was a potential standalone freecell linux game, what you could have done was to make a package request in the appropriate subforum, provide the link from which you tried to download said game, and let the packaging team tell you whether the game could be packaged to run with MX17.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

skidoo

#18 Post by skidoo »

qupzilla won't download games that use apt
Users coming over from Mint or Ubuntu may have grown accustomed to having https://launchpad.net/apturl installed on their system.
IIRC, it registers a mimetype handler with compatible browsers, so that clicking an apt:// hyperlink results in OpenWith(gDebi, or somesuch)

Here's an example bug report where a user is explaining the expected behavior (er, expected result):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1453576

The availability and use of the apt-url mechanism is a fine example of "those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it".
(likelihood of introducing system instability / breakage due to incompatible libraries, prospect of downloading malware...)

antiX-Dave
Developer

#19 Post by antiX-Dave »

If you have the package installed or downloaded and extracted you could run ldd against the game's bin file. This will tell you what it exactly needs for library files. Everything that the command lists you can copy to a folder to back it up. Then you can delete the pack it came from and either build a deb file to install it or manually copy the files back. You may also need to copy some extra files that would not be in the list. For example the .desktop file from /usr/share/applications so it will show in the menu and maybe some help files. You may desire to run the locate or find command to see if there are any similarly named files that you would like to keep before removing the package.

Edit this is assuming that they are not already separately packaged in the repo and just packaged into one deb because it is easier for the game maintainers.

Stevo
Developer

#20 Post by Stevo »

Since any particular game is just a set of rules, which takes up very little disk space when reduced to machine language, the vast percentage of space used by any card game is going to be the graphics plus any sound files, such as the card designs. So all the games in aisleriot are going to share those resources between themselves, and you are only saving a tiny bit of disk space by not using it instead of some hypothetical standalone gnome-freecell. Which is only distributed as part of aisleriot, BTW, since no sane developer would do it any other way.
Last edited by Stevo on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”