Browser replacement? (Solved, for now!)

Bierhundt

Browser replacement? (Solved, for now!)

#1 Post by Bierhundt »

I've gotten tired of the huge footprint of Firefox, and don't need all of the whistles, bells, and buzzers of FF, Chrome, Opera, Chromiium etc., etc.. So I've been looking at smaller browsers suitable for Linux that still have an adblocker, most pros/cons say these smaller ones aren't yet ready, they have problems rendering websites, etc., and I don't want a text-based one. I looked at Pale Moon (recommended to me a few weeks ago), but it's supposedly missing some things for Linux, made primarily for Win. So I downloaded and installed Midori and Qupzilla just to take them out for a spin. Any opinions yea or nay on these two?
TIA

https://beebom.com/best-web-browsers-for-linux/ wrote:Pale Moon started out as an optimized Firefox build for Windows, but has since expanded onto other platforms, and has moved away from Firefox in a number of ways. The most obvious is the decision to retain the classic Firefox UI instead of switching to Australis. This makes Pale Moon a desirable alternative for dissatisfied Firefox users, but there are a few caveats. Its Windows-centric legacy shows in a number of places, notably in the fact that the profile migration tool is not available for Linux. Pale Moon also isn’t fully compatible with Firefox add-ons, and some of the more popular extensions don’t work with it. If that’s not an obstacle for you, Pale Moon is an easy recommendation for anyone tired of Mozilla’s antics.
https://beebom.com/best-web-browsers-for-linux/ wrote:Midori is a lightweight alternative browser for GTK-based desktop environments, such as GNOME or Xfce. It supports both GTK+ 2 and GTK+ 3, and it’s based on WebKit. Due to its fast startup time and responsiveness, it has become the default browser for a number of Linux distributions. Like many browsers on this list, it follows the Opera rather than Firefox approach to providing features out-of-the-box: it comes with support for user scripts and styles, smart bookmarks, ad blocking, mouse gestures, and a speed dial, among other things.
https://beebom.com/best-web-browsers-for-linux/ wrote:QupZilla could be viewed as Midori’s Qt counterpart in the context of this list. Although the name sounds similar, it has no relation to Mozilla. It offers a lightweight yet feature-packed alternative to its better-known competitors. QupZilla is based on WebKit, and comes with with its own ad blocker and speed dial. It also offers an interesting approach to viewing bookmarks, history and RSS feeds – it unifies them all in a single window. Another distinguishing feature is that QupZilla tries to seamlessly integrate with the user’s environment.
Watcha think, eh?
Any other recomendations?
Last edited by Bierhundt on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Browser replacement?

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Qupzilla is my choice.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

anticapitalista
Developer

#3 Post by anticapitalista »

anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Bierhundt

#4 Post by Bierhundt »

anticapitalista wrote:seamonkey

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/
I read somewhere that Debian has stopped developing Seamonkey - I used to prefer that to FF and others. Thanks, I'll look into that!

Bierhundt

#5 Post by Bierhundt »

Jerry3904 wrote:Qupzilla is my choice.
I was hoping I'd hear from someone that actually uses it - that makes a difference. Thanks Jerry !

wulf

#6 Post by wulf »

I like Waterfox. It's a little more privacy focused, and of course, you can ramp that up to your own requirements by going into the "about:config" page. It also supports most of the old favourite add-ons that Mozilla recently exorcised from it's newest incarnation..

KoO

#7 Post by KoO »

I run Waterfox as a portable version if I'm using MX and i like it too, seems a bit more compatible with web sites then Palemoon. Their no Waterfox in the repo
I would give Qupzilla a try but the repo version is a but to old for me. Latest version 2.2.6 but it seems to need Qt 5.9 > MX Qt 5.7 webkit

May ask if they could be updated..

A browser that I do like (Brave) but it is a big install size over 450mb runs very nicely with my daily driver. But performs badly with MX
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

azrielle

#8 Post by azrielle »

I like Mozilla Lite, and Slimjet. And Otter when I can find it. Midori is a bit... sparse.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

ian.d.brunton

#9 Post by ian.d.brunton »

I've been using Palemoon because it supports the FF extensions I really want, specifically Pentadactyl. However, it doesn't support all the ones I like, and it's not hard to see that it will become less compatible over time as FF continues to develop in its current direction and Palemoon developers will have to re-engineer more and more extensions.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#10 Post by Jerry3904 »

KoO wrote:I would give Qupzilla a try but the repo version is a but to old for me. Latest version 2.2.6 but it seems to need Qt 5.9 > MX Qt 5.7 webkit

May ask if they could be updated..
Check the MX Test Repo...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “General”