Browser replacement? (Solved, for now!)

wulf

Re: Browser replacement? (Solved, for now!)

#81 Post by wulf »

With a nod to the OP's comment about the huge footprint of modern browsers, does anyone remember this little gem, the Off By One Browser?...1.2 MB..Yep, you read that correctly..This thing flew compared to anything else on the market at the time!..I did a search for it and was surprised to see it was still up even though it died in 2006...http://offbyone.com/offbyone/index.htm..It seemed to be a time where everyone was striving to make things smaller. I remember having a file written in Assembly language. I think it was around 15kb size and it played music for 3 or four minutes along with some kinda basic graphics if memory serves correctly..

cyrilus31

#82 Post by cyrilus31 »

wulf wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:22 pm I remember having a file written in Assembly language. I think it was around 15kb size and it played music for 3 or four minutes along with some kinda basic graphics if memory serves correctly..
If you want alternatives for music players I found this
You can find decent music players, weighing less than 1Mo and using 5 Mo of ram.

wulf

#83 Post by wulf »

cyrilus31 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:22 am
If you want alternatives for music players I found this
You can find decent music players, weighing less than 1Mo and using 5 Mo of ram.
[/quote]
I was just reminiscing. I use Clementine now, but I'm not entirely happy with it. That was a great link you posted though. Very comprehensive and some players I've not heard of before. Merci :happy:

cyrilus31

#84 Post by cyrilus31 »

wulf wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:45 am
cyrilus31 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:22 am If you want alternatives for music players I found this
I was just reminiscing. I use Clementine now, but I'm not entirely happy with it. That was a great link you posted though. Very comprehensive and some players I've not heard of before. Merci :happy:
De rien ;)
This kind of list should be updated, shared, and even extended to video player and so on.
I generally use Clementine but I'm testing alternatives to minimize ram and cpu footprint.

Gerson

#85 Post by Gerson »

I have installed Falkon and it is a very good replacement for Qupzilla, it would be good to have it as an alternative to the package installer. This is your page:
https://www.falkon.org/
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

fehlix
Developer

#86 Post by fehlix »

Gerson wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 pm I have installed Falkon
How? As appimage or flatpak? and what is the size of that package?
I still use qupzilla for some quick lookup stuff with disabled jscript and only a fixed number of bookmarked sites.
But would not use it without some kind of ublock/umatrix pretection as a normal inet-browser.
Internal ablocker is too limeted in qupzilla too.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Gerson

#87 Post by Gerson »

It's an app image of 120MB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

Bierhundt

#88 Post by Bierhundt »

I'm about to dump VLC and go to MPV - I've read that's a pretty good video player - I don't have a lot of CD's so Clementine works well, but if I can get rid of some bloat, I'll probably dump Clementine as well in favor of a minimalist music player. Most of my music (Bluegrass), comes from Pandora (No CDs to change out!).

I've also dumped SeaMonkey and Firefox for Waterfox and Qupzilla, but I use Qupzilla so rarely, I'll probably dump it as well. I only keep it around in case the server is down on my main browser (which has happened a few times with FF.

cyrilus31

#89 Post by cyrilus31 »

What about the new Midori? Did you try it?

BobbieAN

#90 Post by BobbieAN »

Gerson wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 pm I have installed Falkon and it is a very good replacement for Qupzilla, it would be good to have it as an alternative to the package installer. This is your page:
https://www.falkon.org/
Falkon is nice but last version is from May last year, don't know how safe is to use outdated browser.

Return to “General”