Slimming down MX

Adrian
Developer

Re: Slimming down MX

#11 Post by Adrian »

@ Adrian - it takes much less time to update/upgrade if you don't have all those extra Mb's of things for apt-get to work on. If you don't need it, why keep it - that's my motto! As a retired old man, I have plenty of time to waste removing apps and programs I don't need -
That's OK, I understand that, usually though this kind of question comes from people used with Windows "more programs slow down the system" that really doesn't apply in Linux -- as long as the program is on HDD and not running is not a problem and the updates in Debian Stable are not that often, but yeah, just remove the programs you don't need, just be careful of the "perfect is the enemy of good" pitfall, you might end up spending time and removing stuff that you need for little benefit.
Last edited by Adrian on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richb
Administrator

#12 Post by richb »

I keep applications I do not need as I have plenty of drive space, but one should have their system the way they want it.

If removing programs via Synaptic or terminal, before executing the command it will tell you what else is being removed. So you can peruse that and cancel if there is something that you do not recognize or decide you need.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

antiX-Dave
Developer

#13 Post by antiX-Dave »

I would guess that any program named in the menu is "safe" to remove unless it falls under the system categories. In which case removing something from there is more likely to cause problems. For locales, reconfigure the locales package as d.o. States. You could also add localepurge if I remember correctly. There are a bunch of trimming tips and tricks on the antiX forum / in the archive.

richb
Administrator

#14 Post by richb »

antiX-Dave wrote:I would guess that any program named in the menu is "safe" to remove unless it falls under the system categories. In which case removing something from there is more likely to cause problems. .......etc.
That is true unless it also removes dependencies that other applications use that he wants to keep.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Bierhundt

#15 Post by Bierhundt »

So I found this on the internet, is this safe way to remove all of the useless locales? and would I want to put all of the ones I want to keep inside the arrows? The MX manual doesn't seem to be clear/helpful about removing locales, from what I've found .... of course, I may have missed something.

Code: Select all

sudo locale-gen --purge <locales YOU WANT TO KEEP>
i.e. LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I'd also like to know if it's possible to remove everything from Libre Office without removing Writer? TIA

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#16 Post by dolphin_oracle »

personally I think

dpkg-reconfigure locales
should be easier to deal with,as there are a lot of locales in antiX/mx preconfigured.

as to removing stuff from libreoffice...yes you can remove a lot of bits of libreoffice. the individual apps are listed with separate package names. Some common stuff will remain of course since writer will still be installed.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Bierhundt

#17 Post by Bierhundt »

antiX-Dave wrote:I would guess that any program named in the menu is "safe" to remove unless it falls under the system categories. In which case removing something from there is more likely to cause problems. For locales, reconfigure the locales package as d.o. States. You could also add localepurge if I remember correctly. There are a bunch of trimming tips and tricks on the antiX forum / in the archive.
THX, I'll look in those tips and see if I can find something helpful!

Bierhundt

#18 Post by Bierhundt »

dolphin_oracle wrote:personally I think

dpkg-reconfigure locales
should be easier to deal with,as there are a lot of locales in antiX/mx preconfigured.

as to removing stuff from libreoffice...yes you can remove a lot of bits of libreoffice. the individual apps are listed with separate package names. Some common stuff will remain of course since writer will still be installed.
THX dolphin_oracle, I tried

$ sudo apt-get install localepurge
but it wouldn't allow me to deselect some locales that I didn't want, so I backed out of it. I'll try your suggestion now.

Adrian
Developer

#19 Post by Adrian »

dpkg-reconfigure locales or edit /etc/locale.gen we should probably comment out all the ones we don't need at install time.

Bierhundt

#20 Post by Bierhundt »

@ dolphin_oracle - this is what i got when I put in that command - I don't understand what it means;

debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
Do I need to shut down and start over?

Return to “General”