Slimming down MX

BitJam
Developer

Re: Slimming down MX

#31 Post by BitJam »

Jerry3904 wrote:If I were going to do this, I'd be tempted to see if I could go the other way, starting with antiX Base.
+1

Over on the antiX forums we always suggest people start with a smaller system and build up rather than start with a larger system and take things away. Our core, base, and full release are meant to provide three different starting points. There are videos and instructions for how to add X and a window manager to antiX-core. OTOH, building up from antiX might cause you to miss out on the MX magic and the MX value added.

From a user's perspective, either an MX-light release or an easy way to add the MX desktop and repos to antiX might be great. But I am not volunteering to do the extra work. Maybe someone (not necessarily a dev) could make an antiX-core snapshot that boots to the MX desktop and uses the MX repos with very few other additions. But I don't even know if using the MX community repo will work on antiX.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Richard

#32 Post by Richard »

That's a thought, Jerry.
So long as my new internet connection holds
I'll give it a shot. Need to get antiX-17.1 to start with.

I just need to give them (the teachers) buttons on a taskbar.
I probably will just install the Xfce4-Lite if it's available from antiX
since I understand it better. Easier to set up and lock down, more or less.
Amazing what even little kids can figure out.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#33 Post by Jerry3904 »

But I don't even know if using the MX community repo will work on antiX.
Right, my suggestion was based on exactly zero knowledge about what would actually happen.
I probably will just install the Xfce4-Lite if it's available from antiX
since I understand it better.
i don't think you could call the result MX anything, then, since you would end up with a respin of antiX. Have you looked at the possibility of using kiosk mode?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Bierhundt

#34 Post by Bierhundt »

Hi, I'm back! Just did an update (14 to be exact), and it went fast and smooth. I've still got a few things to check on prior to removal/keep, but I think the only major thing is FireFox. I'm leaning toward Qupzilla, as the main browser, but Midori isn't bad either, it's just that Qupzilla seems to be the most user-friendly to me.

In the games, I basically only play freecell, shizen sho, or mahjonng, so I think I'll have to remove KDE games and see if I can find individual packages of each of those (I'll have to look for those packages first). So far, some games, like Heartsare not removing, so I think it's tied to KDE games and it won't remove unless I get rid of the whole thing. I know, I know, it's only a few kb, but just like pennies, they add up to Mb when you have to keep all of the extra junk that you don't use. I, like others, have plenty of space on the hard drive, but in the past I've had to remove something - in the middle of what I was doing - becuz I needed just a few more kb - I'm just trying to get ahead of it this time!

This 'slimming down' is going well for me, and I'm wondering if I can take one of those "snapshot" things to make an ISO for a backup, or would it end up putting all of that stuff I've removed back into the ISO? Are there any videos to explain the process?

Bierhundt

#35 Post by Bierhundt »

BTW, I forgot to thank everyone for the helpful hints and advice I got on this thread - THANKS!!

Adrian
Developer

#36 Post by Adrian »

Bierhundt wrote:This 'slimming down' is going well for me, and I'm wondering if I can take one of those "snapshot" things to make an ISO for a backup, or would it end up putting all of that stuff I've removed back into the ISO? Are there any videos to explain the process?
Just take a snapshot, you don't need to put anything back. Dolphin_Oracle made a video about snapshotting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExVkxXcVDAw (it's for MX16 but it's the same for MX17).

Richard

#37 Post by Richard »

Just Linux for kids.
Kiosk mode is interesting.
Have antiX-171 updated, filling out with apps, and Xfce4.
Have only used MX or Debian before but kiosk mode looks interesting,
I'll have to read up on it.
Thanks.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Bierhundt

#38 Post by Bierhundt »

Adrian wrote: Just take a snapshot, you don't need to put anything back. Dolphin_Oracle made a video about snapshotting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExVkxXcVDAw (it's for MX16 but it's the same for MX17).
Thanks for the link, appreciated!

Just watched Video - very informative - Thanks!

Bierhundt

#39 Post by Bierhundt »

Is SMtube something I really need? I've been playing You-Tube videos, but didn't notice whether I was using SMtube or not .... I just noticed it when I upgraded some packages this AM. Any ideas?

Adrian
Developer

#40 Post by Adrian »

Not needed if you just play youtube in browser.

Return to “General”