No 'Live' version? Resolved, THX

BitJam
Developer

Re: No 'Live' version? Resolved, THX

#11 Post by BitJam »

You are more than welcome to the bandwidth. I don't think feathers were ruffled as much as we are proud of our live system and all of the support we provide for it. We are also all kind of like Donkey in the back of the cave jumping up and shouting Oh I know! Pick me! Pick me!

Shrek Donkey Pick Me
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Adrian
Developer

#12 Post by Adrian »

I didn't know that nowadays 'live' is such an outmoded word.
It might be our fault, since we started with MEPIS which was a liveCD out in 2003 (15 years ago!) we probably assumed that everybody knows that MX ISO is a live one.

entropyfoe

#13 Post by entropyfoe »

Yes, all the isos will run in live mode.
Not just live USB, but you can run live off of a DVD for MX if your machine will not boot from USB, which is much faster.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

You would do even better by downloading the 17.1 version, which was released just a week ago!

BitJam
Developer

#15 Post by BitJam »

entropyfoe wrote:Not just live USB, but you can run live off of a DVD for MX if your machine will not boot from USB, which is much faster.
If your machine doesn't boot from usb then I suggest you make a live-usb and a live-dvd of the same system. Then when you boot the live-dvd choose F4 Options --> from=usb. This wil finish booting from the live-usb stick and give you all of the speed and almost all of the features of the live-usb. The only feature that is missing is that we can't update the the bootloader on the dvd.

We could make a tiny iso file that doesn't have the linuxfs file and has from=usb already selected. This could easily boot from a cdrom as well as a dvd but the confusion it might cause could far outweigh the benefits.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Bierhundt

#16 Post by Bierhundt »

I'm now running MX-17 on the hard drive after a very easy install, probably the easiest since BeatriX back a long while ago. Also antiX which isn't that far in the past ;>).

@ bitjam and others - This laptop will run off USB, but I've apparently burned up 3 - 32Gb sticks trying to get something installed on these three laptops, and when I tried to load up the ISO on them, they all refused! Now I have it on DVD, so I can use it for repair or re-install whenever I might need it.

And yes, I think the first time I used Mepis was back about 2003, but for some reason, I quit using it after a year or so, I think it was when Mepis started following Ubuntu. Me and Ubuntu have never got along, it always borked my systems. I mostly got away from Linux when it seemed that BrewTarget was in the death throes (it's made a comeback now) and so I had to buy BeerSmith to have the brew software - then ended up using Win7 exclusively. I only played around with Linux after that until the last year or two, didn't get real serious about it until I loaded the new, improved BrewTarget. Believe it or not, it's in Debian packages! Now Linux is my (almost) full-time OS .... M$ can be thanked for that, since the newer versions are designed to babysit the 'leaseholder' and not allow any disagreement with their way of doing things - especially updates.

The good thing about it is that I have once again found my first home-brewing software, BrewTarget. It's taking me a bit of time to re-familiarize myself with it, but it's starting to click! So now, I can have BeerSmith on the Win7, and BrewTarget on Linux - I don't have to always change to M$ to brew a batch of homebrew. The only reason to change to M$ now is to co-ordinate the two brew softwares and add new recipes, and to compare the readings that I should get from my hydrometer and refractometer (which sometimes seem to be at odds themselves!).

My thanks to all the devs, coders, and translators that have made this distro possible.
Last edited by Bierhundt on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

anticapitalista
Developer

#17 Post by anticapitalista »

probably the easiest since BeatriX back a long while ago
Me and Ubuntu have never got along
BeatriX was a Ubuntu based distro ...

anyhow, enjoy MX
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Bierhundt

#18 Post by Bierhundt »

When I used BeatriX, it was claimed to be based on Debian/gnome, not Ubuntu, but I have no idea if it was Ubuntu at this late date - AFAIK, you may be right. I tried several instances of Ubuntu, and every one borked my desktop computer - now that I have a laptop, I still avoid Ubuntu as much as possible.

Return to “General”