No 'Live' version? Resolved, THX

Bierhundt

No 'Live' version? Resolved, THX

#1 Post by Bierhundt »

I had thought that there was a 'live' version available for MX, but from what I found on the downloads page, the only 'live' product is antiX. Am I missing something? I'm also looking for screenshots, as well, since I'm considering moving from Debian 9.3 to MX (or antiX).

I've already got antiX on my other, older laptop, but I've used Mepis in the far distant past, so I'd like to try out the MX to see if I'm missing anything with an newer iteration with the combination of the two, still based on Debian Stable, but I'd like to do it without going through an install if I don't like what I see.

I don't need anything fancy, just something I can use for surfing, watching my DVD movies, You Tube, and running my Linux home-brew software - BrewTarget - that's about it.
TIA, Bierhundt
Last edited by Bierhundt on Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richb
Administrator

Re: No 'Live' version?

#2 Post by richb »

The Community website front page has both some screenshots and a download link to MX isos that you can make a Live USB from.

https://mxlinux.org/
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

skidoo

#3 Post by skidoo »

I'm also looking for screenshots, as well
Better than screenshots:
youtube -----} search: MX Linux
missing something?
Aye, the mention of "live" on the "Direct downloads" page linked from homepage isn't prominent
https://mxlinux.org/download-links
and (I just noticed) clicking the "See the Users Manual" hyperlink on that page leads to "Page Not Found".

Bierhundt

#4 Post by Bierhundt »

richb wrote:The Community website front page has both some screenshots and a download link to MX isos that you can make a Live USB from.

OK, now I can see the screenshots, thx. But, i still can't find an MX 'live' download, so I'm guessing the devs don't see that as a necessary product. I guess I'll try it out, and if I don't like it, I've already got an antiX DVD ready to go, even though it's a 32 bit version - of course, I probably should just go ahead and download the 64 bit.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Bierhundt wrote:
richb wrote:The Community website front page has both some screenshots and a download link to MX isos that you can make a Live USB from.

OK, now I can see the screenshots, thx. But, i still can't find an MX 'live' download, so I'm guessing the devs don't see that as a necessary product. I guess I'll try it out, and if I don't like it, I've already got an antiX DVD ready to go, even though it's a 32 bit version - of course, I probably should just go ahead and download the 64 bit.
Like antix, all of our isos are live.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

BitJam
Developer

#6 Post by BitJam »

All the MX iso files only work in live mode. It is impossible to avoid. MX uses the antiX live system. Some of the features are described here: The Most Extensive Live-usb on the Planet! So not only does MX Linux have a live version, it has the most powerful and featureful live-usb you can get. Many people don't bother to do a regular install of MX or antiX. Instead they only run live using persistence and remastering to seamlessly save file system changes.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

@skidoo:
and (I just noticed) clicking the "See the Users Manual" hyperlink on that page leads to "Page Not Found".
Thanks, corrected.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

m_pav
Developer

#8 Post by m_pav »

All MX ISO's are Live. If you're downloading an AntiX iso and expecting to experience MX, you'll end up sampling AntiX, not MX. The two are connected, they are both very good, but they are most definitely not the same.

The absence of the word "live" from our ISO images does not denote an installer only version, that is a very old method of producing a distro, we only make 1 ISO type and that is a "Live" type. If you wish to install it after running it live, you simply click the install icon on the live desktop.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

Bierhundt

#9 Post by Bierhundt »

skidoo wrote:
I'm also looking for screenshots, as well
Better than screenshots:
youtube -----} search: MX Linux
missing something?
Aye, the mention of "live" on the "Direct downloads" page linked from homepage isn't prominent
https://mxlinux.org/download-links
Thanks for the hint about You Tube - for some reason, I never think of that when looking at Linux distros. I also took a look at "Monthly Updates" (which they should actually call 6-monthly updates lol) and it says that it's a better way...
These are the latest monthly snapshot .iso files of MX.
They consist of the base release with all the routine & security upgrades since release applied but with nothing else added.
They are the preferred way of installing MX because some issues in the original release have been fixed already, and because it will take less time & bandwidth to update them.
I wish I would have clicked on that link before I d/l'ed the Original version ..... now I gotta use some more of your bandwidth up to download the January version! Oh, Well, if it saves me time it will be better, I'm sure. And, after that I can d/l the 'live' antiX for a backup. I appreciate the quick answers and advice!
THX.

Bierhundt

#10 Post by Bierhundt »

OK, OK, I made a misteak, alright? :lipsrsealed: I really ruffled some feathers here, I guess ;>) :footinmouth: . Thanks for all the input on that :number1: , I didn't know that nowadays 'live' is such an outmoded word. I'll get better (although the wife says that will never happen! :mad: ). So now I've got the original d/l'ed and am working on d/l'ing the January version of the monthly updates and I will play around with them pretty soon :crossfingers: . Thanks for all the inputs!! :number1:

Return to “General”