lz4 compression for mx

Stevo
Developer

Re: lz4 compression for mx

#11 Post by Stevo »

Show a video or screenshot like I did, and you'd have something to support your impossible claims. Nobody but you makes this type of fairyland performance claims for lz4 compression. It is somewhat faster than the XZ (note that, not gz) that the Debian squashfs-tools uses by default and thus the mx-snapshot tool, but not by a factor of a thousand times faster with no CPU use at all.

Put up or shut up, OK? And I already told you that the squashfs-tools in MX 17 supports lz4 as an option. If it was so amazingly superior, why didn't the squashfs-tools developers make it the default? I have to think you are just looking at the first initrd step, and not the compression of the ISO. Take a look at my screenshot and explain that, or just go away.
Last edited by Stevo on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bled

#12 Post by bled »

proofs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb »

citation?
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

I want video or screenshots to support your impossible claim of remastering the PCLinuxOS ISO in ten seconds; a thousand times faster. Put it up or go away.

Of course it's impossible, so you can't produce any. What are you going to try and fool us with next?

He got the stats here: https://catchchallenger.first-world.inf ... LZ4_vs_LZO

Note that he did not show how much bigger the result is with lz4 in that test...xz -e at 69 MB vs. 159 MB for lz4. I'm sure everyone wouldn't mind their snapshots being more than twice as large.

timkb4cq
Developer

#15 Post by timkb4cq »

I found the site where he got the chart. Here's the other side of the story:
Screenshot111.jpg
So lz4 shrinks a 445MB file to 159MB in that time. xz compresses it to 76MB. Yes, it's much faster to use an algorithm that compresses much less. If you want 3+ GB iso files then you go right ahead and and modify our scripts to use lz4 in squashfs instead of xz. But we are unlikely to use your mods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Adrian
Developer

#16 Post by Adrian »

Actually you don't need to modify the scripts there's a config file (at least for mx-snapshot) in /etc/mx-snapshot.conf and you just need to use the option --comp lz4 (if mksquashfs supports it, I think it does).

Stevo
Developer

#17 Post by Stevo »

Adrian wrote:Actually you don't need to modify the scripts there's a config file (at least for mx-snapshot) in /etc/mx-snapshot.conf and you just need to use the option --comp lz4 (if mksquashfs supports it, I think it does).
Yes, it supports it.

richb
Administrator

#18 Post by richb »

Stevo wrote:
Adrian wrote:Actually you don't need to modify the scripts there's a config file (at least for mx-snapshot) in /etc/mx-snapshot.conf and you just need to use the option --comp lz4 (if mksquashfs supports it, I think it does).
Yes, it supports it.
So the OP has that option. I suggest he use it if he wants and move on to other things.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Adrian
Developer

#19 Post by Adrian »

HOLY CRAP! Now I understand why you are promoting lz4 like this, it almost took the tool longer to create a md5 than to compress the entire installation. I don't get it, I didn't even think it's possible to copy so much data so fast (it helps I guess I have SSD) It did create a larger file 2.2GB vs. 1.4GB so it won't be good for distributing ISOs but for personal backups it's pretty amazing. It's a simple config in /etc/mx-snapshot.conf

It helps though if you communicate ideas in a less trollish way, even with default xz compression it doesn't take 10 hours (it's more like 8 minutes at least with a normal installation without extra data).

stsoh

#20 Post by stsoh »

wow, mksq_opt=-comp lz4 took 5mins to do snapshot compared to mksq_opt=-comp xz which is about 15mins to completed the task.
xz compressed file size = 2.5gb
lz4 compressed file size = 3.9gb
lz4 compress processing is a lot quicker than xz but larger compressed file size.
hmmm, running live-usb with lz4 is much better than xz.

does it work if lz4 is not activated??
lz4 modules should be activate for it to work right??

to activate lz4, edit /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and add these at eol:

Code: Select all

lz4
lz4_compress
zbud
open terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe -v lz4
sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo reboot
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

Return to “General”