MX keeps getting better

KBD

Re: MX keeps getting better

#11 Post by KBD »

Krissharm wrote: Hi yes I really do like this machine. I bought an x61s a while back, first thinkpad and I was hooked with the size, performance and crucially the keyboard. I don't really need a powerhouse laptop but the x61s was getting a bit long in the tooth, so I did some reading and the x220 seemed like a decent step up. I have put the SSD in their and the extra RAM and yeah it runs most distros well, I have win10 in a VM and that works well too. I have the extended battery and I guess I get about 4-5 hours from it.
Its the keyboard, so solid, and the ease with which you can open up the machine and swap parts that makes it so appealing.
Not sure if you might find the screen a bit low res though, there are two types of screen and one is far superior to the other....
Thanks for the info!
What you outline is exactly why I like Thinkpads. The keyboard is a big selling point, you just can't get those anymore with that much travel. Love my T420, just a bit heavy for the lap. These things are tanks, almost unbreakable :)

Krissharm

#12 Post by Krissharm »

I think the only weakness you need to look for is the top, sometimes it separates I think as the lid is in two parts, but otherwise yes, very solid. I'd rather not drop it, but I suspect it would probably be ok.
Enjoy your x220 when it comes, do you have the i5 or i7 processor?
Primary HP Omen 15-ax009na, i5-6300HQ+NVIDIA GTX 950 Running MX17 64 bit.
Secondary Thinkpad x220 12GB ssd msata & ssd sata drive MX17 64 bit
Light child duties Thinkpad R51 MX17/Windows XP 32bit with forcepae and IDE to SATA + Kingston SSD.

KBD

#13 Post by KBD »

Krissharm wrote:I think the only weakness you need to look for is the top, sometimes it separates I think as the lid is in two parts, but otherwise yes, very solid. I'd rather not drop it, but I suspect it would probably be ok.
It has the i5. Thanks for the heads up about the top. I generally take pretty good care of my machines and from photos this one looked very good.
Can you tell me if the machine runs very warm? My T420 was not bad at all, but sometimes the smaller machines can run warmer.
Edit: My X220 arrived today, got here a bit early. Wonderful laptop and I lucked out that it's in great condition. I'm getting temps between 50-58C which I'm guessing is about normal. It is uncanny how much this computer is like it's big brother the T420. When I'm typing on it I have to stop and think whether I'm typing on the T420 or X220--the keyboards are pretty much identical. Nice machines.

Gordon Cooper

#14 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Jerry3904 wrote:Which one are you using? The default Gotham or something else? On my laptops I use Hermoso_sys b/c it nestles up in the corner and doesn't take up much real estate.
Thanks for that suggestion using Hermoso_sys now.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Gordon Cooper

#15 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Dupe, pls isgnore.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Krissharm

#16 Post by Krissharm »

KBD wrote:
Krissharm wrote:I think the only weakness you need to look for is the top, sometimes it separates I think as the lid is in two parts, but otherwise yes, very solid. I'd rather not drop it, but I suspect it would probably be ok.
It has the i5. Thanks for the heads up about the top. I generally take pretty good care of my machines and from photos this one looked very good.
Can you tell me if the machine runs very warm? My T420 was not bad at all, but sometimes the smaller machines can run warmer.
Edit: My X220 arrived today, got here a bit early. Wonderful laptop and I lucked out that it's in great condition. I'm getting temps between 50-58C which I'm guessing is about normal. It is uncanny how much this computer is like it's big brother the T420. When I'm typing on it I have to stop and think whether I'm typing on the T420 or X220--the keyboards are pretty much identical. Nice machines.
I could be wrong, but I think they actually use the same keyboard.
I haven't noticed any spots that get especially warm. Amazing really?
Primary HP Omen 15-ax009na, i5-6300HQ+NVIDIA GTX 950 Running MX17 64 bit.
Secondary Thinkpad x220 12GB ssd msata & ssd sata drive MX17 64 bit
Light child duties Thinkpad R51 MX17/Windows XP 32bit with forcepae and IDE to SATA + Kingston SSD.

KBD

#17 Post by KBD »

Krissharm wrote: I could be wrong, but I think they actually use the same keyboard.
I haven't noticed any spots that get especially warm. Amazing really?
I think you are right. they sure look the same. most laptops this size have tiny keyboards.

Return to “General”