Catfish or Searchmonkey for file searching?

lonesomepoint

Catfish or Searchmonkey for file searching?

#1 Post by lonesomepoint »

MX-17 includes the application Catfish for file searching; I don't remember whether that was already in MX or is new in MX-17. But I also have Searchmonkey installed, as one of the list of applications I had in my MX-16 and reflexively installed in MX-17. (I think I didn't even bother checking whether MX-17 already had Searchmonkey, so I don't know.) Anyway, I might keep only one of them, Catfish or Searchmonkey. I haven't decided which yet. Which do you recommend? I'm comfortable with Searchmonkey but Catfish looks simpler to use.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Catfish or Searchmonkey for file searching?

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Catfish has been there since the beginning, and works for most purposes. For more intense searching, people often recommend (on the Xfce Forum, for ex) Recoll, which I use and like for business.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

cottrela

#3 Post by cottrela »

Hi Lonesomepoint,

I hope I am not too late for your analysis, but there is a new version of Searchmonkey available (v0.8.3 GTK) that bring in support for 3rd party text documents such as PDF, DOCX, DOC etc. Along with a whole series of improvements, bug-fixes and much more besides.

This is a huge update to Searchmonkey, and there is more in the pipeline. The new GTK version can be found on sourceforge:-
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/search ... 8Gnome%29/

In parallel, we working on a native KDE (QT) and JAVA version of Searchmonkey so that it can be used by even more platforms.

I would love to hear how you get on?

Kind regards,
Adam - Searchmonkey founder

richb
Administrator

#4 Post by richb »

Thank you Adam for the information. I am sure our users appreciate it, and will cause our developers to investigate further.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#5 Post by Jerry3904 »

That sounds pretty nice, Adam--thanks for joining and posting!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

I downloaded the most recent version, searchmonkey-0.8.3-0_ubuntu14.04.1-x86_64, and it showed an unjustifiable dependency:

Code: Select all

libzip2 >= 0.10
That package is missing in Stretch (though libzip4 is installed in MX-17), so I downloaded and installed the one in Jessie, and then SearchMonkey installed and ran in research-mode. Looks like a fine search engine for very advanced use.

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

I've got SearchMonkey 0.8.3 packages built for MX 15/16 and 17, though I had to add this patch to get it to build with Debian's -Wnoerror-format-security flags:

Code: Select all

--- searchmonkey-0.8.3.orig/src/misc.c
+++ searchmonkey-0.8.3/src/misc.c
@@ -26,7 +26,7 @@ GtkWidget *dialog;
                                            GTK_DIALOG_DESTROY_WITH_PARENT,
                                            GTK_MESSAGE_ERROR,
                                            GTK_BUTTONS_CLOSE,
-                                           msg);
+                                           "%s",msg);
    gtk_dialog_run (GTK_DIALOG (dialog));
    gtk_widget_destroy (dialog);
 }
I used the Debian 0.8.1 build as a template, though I made quite a few changes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tloso ... ZEkgFH4tL6

Since the Ubuntu 14.04 package ends up being incompatible with Debian and maybe newer versions of Ubuntu, the developers could look into setting up an openSUSE Build Service repo...it can build Debian, Ubuntu, and lots of rpm distro packages from source and they wouldn't get those incompatibilities. You can drop the debhelper version and compat I set at 10 down to 9 to help older builds.

Return to “General”