Fantastic job

paul1149

Fantastic job

#1 Post by paul1149 »

Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying MX17. I've been on Linux for two years now, and really enjoy it. I was happy with my previous ride, but felt it was time for a change. I've found MX to be very fast (I'm on Vista-era hardware), with great aesthetics, and a really nice set of built-in progs. I've made a few changes in the progs, but still MX gives a very good starting point, and the utilities are great. I know a lot of work has gone into this, so great job, much appreciated!

rickc

Re: Fantastic job

#2 Post by rickc »

Rather than start my own thread, thought I'd join in here. Been using various buntus for ten years, have wanted to go Debian for ages but couldn't ever get it installed properly. Last time I tried
the live USB was great, only for wireless support to disappear following installation. Although my Dell Latitude is 10 years old, apart from the graphics it's still quite high spec - so what I get with MX (using Gnome DE) is a very fast, stable OS that I'm delighted with. Installation was so easy, and clearly much love goes into this distro
- as evidenced by the hugely helpful assortment of MX tools.

For a week I've been using it via install onto USB stick...and was amazed how well it performed. I realised I was preferring using it over my regular distro, ubuntu mate. So I've moved over to MX and done the proper install. The only thing I miss is the ubuntu mate terminal - which allows you to set your own background. This used to be a feature on Gnome Terminal but sadly was removed in 2016

Anyway.....many thanks to the people that have made this distro.

timkb4cq
Developer

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

XFCE Terminal *does* let you set your own background. Right-Click -> Preferences -> Appearance (tab)
That said, terminals are all slightly different and if you want what you're used to, mate-terminal is in the standard repositories and only brings in 2 small -common files with it. I still install Konsole even though it brings in a bunch of KDE libraries because I like it just a tad better than the XFCE terminal.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

paul1149

#4 Post by paul1149 »

Also, I've been amazed at the font selection. Previously, my font experience in Linux has not been great. I was lucky to find one or two fonts that actually looked good and were easy on the eyes. But now there are several to choose from, and I think Windows has nothing on this font experience. Even fonts in WINE look good. Well done.

rickc

#5 Post by rickc »

timkb4cq wrote:XFCE Terminal *does* let you set your own background. Right-Click -> Preferences -> Appearance (tab)
That said, terminals are all slightly different and if you want what you're used to, mate-terminal is in the standard repositories and only brings in 2 small -common files with it. I still install Konsole even though it brings in a bunch of KDE libraries because I like it just a tad better than the XFCE terminal.
That's great, many thanks. There's no options at all to see and it didn't occur to me to right click. I had installed the mate terminal but it's different to the one used in ubuntu mate. Happy to stick with the XFCE terminal now

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

The xfce terminal is surprisingly versatile and also has a dropdown-from-top mode. Press F4 to activate it.

Manual, p 24.

If you right click to call up the context menu and preferences, you can set the tool/menu bars to appear by default.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

As we say in the Manual: "right-click is your friend"
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

dreamer

#8 Post by dreamer »

I installed MX-17 a couple of days ago and it has been a good experience. I had a time-related problem in MX-16.1 and loss of network (may be related), but I didn't really investigate and used brute force by uninstalling ntp-server. I also had problems with the German (.de) MX repo, but switched to Italy (.it) repo.

I felt I should start fresh, because MX-17 was out. I chose the January snapshot because of Meltdown patches. I don't know if it was the right decision if early Meltdown patches are bad. However, the system runs fine. And kernels can be updated/changed so no big deal.

MX-17 has been great. The out of the box experience is very polished. I like the boot messages; I can see many of them even on a SSD, because my processor is rather slow. I use a horizontal panel, but I don't mind the vertical panel out of the box.

Again I had trouble (lack of connection) with the German MX repo which was pre-selected. Again I chose Italy and problem solved. I noticed that xfce4-notifyd wasn't in the list of start up applications so I added it.

As you can see, so far only minor problems with MX-17. In my book this is the best distro since the Ubuntu 14.04 based which I have been using. Thanks for all the hard work! I donate to all FOSS projects I'm using so will soon donate to MX Linux. I haven't tried the snapshot functionality, but this is a crucial feature because once I settle on a distro I tend to use it for years.

Adrian
Developer

#9 Post by Adrian »

I haven't tried the snapshot functionality, but this is a crucial feature because once I settle on a distro I tend to use it for years.
Thanks for the positive review. People who develop these apps (BitJam, Dolphin_Oracle, me and others) are on the forum so let us know if you have problems or even suggestions. I think MX Snapshot has been tested a lot, it's easy to use and you can create a generic snapshot (like I do when I create the monthly snapshot) or personal one very easily.

dreamer

#10 Post by dreamer »

I did a snapshot the other day and installed it on another PC. Everything went fine. The snapshot utility is very logical and if you do a personal remaster the user creation step is eliminated in the installer, which is good.

A somewhat related question. If a new user is created on an installed system then it will inherit the original settings from the root account, right? But if you log in to the root account and modify that account (wallpaper, panel etc.) will new users inherit the settings from the modified root account? I guess everything that gets modified as root carries over to new users, right?

Return to “General”