Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Many non-free packages installed by default.

Raymzap
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Many non-free packages installed by default.

#1 Postby Raymzap » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:22 am

Hi.

I ran the vrms (Virtual Richard Mathew Stallman) package and notice that both MX and antiX have many non-free packages installed by default. Is there a quick way to remove all but the actually needed ones? Or should I just uninstall all that I think I don't need (while being careful not to lose my wireless)?
GNU/Linux User #470660

Linus Torvalds: "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Many non-free packages installed by default.

#2 Postby dolphin_oracle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:23 am

I've never used that package, but if it provides a list, you could simple.

apt-get remove list_item1 list_item2 etc....
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

Raymzap
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Postby Raymzap » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:27 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:I've never used that package, but if it provides a list, you could simple.

apt-get remove list_item1 list_item2 etc....

Hi DO.

I always use it. I will use non-free packages but only if absolutely needed (e.g. wireless drivers).

Here's an example of the output from vrms (apt get install vrms) on my old laptop with MX 16.

Code: Select all

Non-free packages installed on XXXXX

amd64-microcode                     Processor microcode firmware for AMD CPUs
atmel-firmware                      Firmware for Atmel at76c50x wireless networking chips.
bluez-firmware                      Firmware for Bluetooth devices
broadcom-sta-dkms                   dkms source for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
firmware-amd-graphics               Binary firmware for AMD/ATI graphics chips
firmware-atheros                    Binary firmware for Atheros wireless cards
firmware-bnx2                       Binary firmware for Broadcom NetXtremeII
firmware-bnx2x                      Binary firmware for Broadcom NetXtreme II 10Gb
firmware-brcm80211                  Binary firmware for Broadcom 802.11 wireless cards
firmware-intelwimax                 Binary firmware for Intel WiMAX Connection
firmware-ipw2x00                    Binary firmware for Intel Pro Wireless 2100, 2200 and
firmware-iwlwifi                    Binary firmware for Intel Wireless cards
firmware-libertas                   Binary firmware for Marvell Libertas 8xxx wireless car
firmware-linux-nonfree              Binary firmware for drivers in the Linux kernel (meta-
firmware-misc-nonfree               Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kerne
firmware-myricom                    Binary firmware for Myri-10G Ethernet adapters
firmware-qlogic                     Binary firmware for QLogic HBAs
firmware-realtek                    Binary firmware for Realtek wired/wifi/BT adapters
firmware-zd1211                     binary firmware for the zd1211rw wireless driver
intel-microcode                     Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs
nvidia-detect                       NVIDIA GPU detection utility
unrar                               Unarchiver for .rar files (non-free version)
zd1211-firmware                     transitional dummy package for firmware-zd1211

Contrib packages installed on XXXXX

b43-fwcutter                        utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperfl PPAPI-host NPAPI-plugin adapter for pepperflash
firmware-b43-installer              firmware installer for the b43 driver
firmware-b43legacy-installer        firmware installer for the b43legacy driver
freshplayerplugin                   dummy for upgrade to browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepper
iucode-tool                         Intel processor microcode tool
pepperflashplugin-nonfree           Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin
ttf-mscorefonts-installer           Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts

23 non-free packages, 1.3% of 1815 installed packages.
  8 contrib packages, 0.4% of 1815 installed packages.
GNU/Linux User #470660

Linus Torvalds: "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby dolphin_oracle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 am

looks about right.

so I would take that report into a text editor, edit out the descriptions and get the package names you want to remove on one line, separated by spaces. then paste all that into the command line prompt.

I would probably keep the intel/amd-microcode package (whichever you need) given that bug fixes come down to the cpus that way.

***edit*** changed exasperated to separated...dang autocorrects! thanks skiddoo!
Last edited by dolphin_oracle on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby Jerry3904 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:43 am

I didn't know that even existed, much less that it is installed by default in MX-17. Will add that to the list for the next Manual, thanks.
Production: 4.13.0-1-amd64, MX-17, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.13.0-1-386. MX-17, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Raymzap
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Postby Raymzap » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:45 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:looks about right.

so I would take that report into a text editor, edit out the descriptions and get the package names you want to remove on one line, exasperated by spaces. then paste all that into the command line prompt.

I would probably keep the intel/amd-microcode package (whichever you need) given that bug fixes come down to the cpus that way.

Yes, the only non-free packages I'd keep are Broadcom-related (also b43) & intel-microcode.
GNU/Linux User #470660

Raymzap
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Postby Raymzap » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 am

Jerry3904 wrote:I didn't know that even existed, much less that it is installed by default in MX-17. Will add that to the list for the next Manual, thanks.

Hi Jerry.

What - vrms? I'm not sure if it was installed by default though. I thought that package was well known - think it's just for Debian/Ubuntu distros. It's a must for me. :happy:
GNU/Linux User #470660

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Postby kmathern » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Raymzap wrote:
Jerry3904 wrote:I didn't know that even existed, much less that it is installed by default in MX-17. Will add that to the list for the next Manual, thanks.

Hi Jerry.

What - vrms? I'm not sure if it was installed by default though. I thought that package was well known - think it's just for Debian/Ubuntu distros. It's a must for me. :happy:

It (vrms) is installed by default.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Postby Jerry3904 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Sure--I just don't pay attention to that issue, that's all, though I recognize a truly "free" operating system as a wonderful ideal.

And MX more generally is aimed toward average users, who have been repeatedly shown to just want everything to work!
Production: 4.13.0-1-amd64, MX-17, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.13.0-1-386. MX-17, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Postby skidoo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:24 pm

exasperated by spaces
{giggle}

Seriously, though...
get the package names you want to remove on one line, exasperated by spaces. then paste all that into the command line prompt.
(yeah, although the question was "Is there a quick way?")
I would not do that because, almost certainly (based on past observations), one or more of the packages slated for removal will lead to chain-reaction removal of other dependent packages. Yes, a prompt will advise "additional packages will be removed. Proceed? Y/n" ...but that leaves you with an all-or-nothing decision (and the prompt doesn't provide details explaining the dependency chain). So, I recommend performing the removals one-package-at-a-time ~~ from within synaptic, so that you can search names of "would also be removed" dependent packages and read their descriptions (toward making an informed choice regarding each prospective removal).

Code: Select all

nvidia-detect                       NVIDIA GPU detection utility
amd64-microcode                     Processor microcode firmware for AMD CPUs
bluez-firmware                      Firmware for Bluetooth devices
firmware-amd-graphics               Binary firmware for AMD/ATI graphics chips
beyond "lose my wireless", be dang certain you're not fixin' ta cut off yer nose to spite yer face.

Return to “General”