MXLinux font rendering

xfrank

MXLinux font rendering

#1 Post by xfrank »

I've noticed that MXLinux font rendering is better than the average Debian-based distros, almost on par (although slightly different) with Ubuntu/Mint renderization. I'm curious: are the MXLinux fonts patched?
I'm very sensible to font rendering and I much appreciate the MXLinux font quality. This is one more plus in an overall excellent distro. :happy:

Stevo
Developer

Re: MXLinux font rendering

#2 Post by Stevo »

With MX 15/16, we have a our own freetype 2.7 and fontconfig libraries we added to try to reproduce the infinitality font look.

We're currently using the stock Stretch libraries for those in MX 17...are they a bit worse? Is it worth porting up the MX 15 packages?

xfrank

#3 Post by xfrank »

I've not tried yet MX17, but the font rendering in MX16 is very good. Do you feel a difference between 16 and 17?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

We have hinting enabled on mx17 (it wasn't by dearly on mx16) and we made some changes to the whisker menu theming which seemed to help as well (a lt of people noticed the fonts in Whisker Menu being fuzzy, even though the rest of the system was better).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

asqwerth
Developer

#5 Post by asqwerth »

Also, I like Noto Sans as the MX17 default font. With hinting already enabled, I find the default font rendering very nice indeed.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#6 Post by ChrisUK »

Just to say that Fonts in MX-17 are on a par with the more well known Distros (Ubuntu/Mint/Manjaro etc). You often don't realise that fonts are bad until you start getting headaches from eye strain... no headaches here ;) Also, there's no screen tearing using the nouveau driver and the Xfwm Compositor (with Sync to Vblank set). Oh, I use the Noto fonts on Manjaro and LMDE too, so I'd say you made the right choice for MX.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Return to “General”