#1 Post by cgriffin »

Will there be a KDE spin of MX-17?
--
Chris Griffin

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX-17 KDE Spin?

#2 Post by Stevo »

As soon as we figure out the theming issues, and what needs to be added to the default configuration.

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

Stevo wrote:As soon as we figure out the theming issues, and what needs to be added to the default configuration.
That would be great, let me know if you want to work with me.

On a downside, KDE usually moves outside of sync with Debian so it's not exciting to add a version of KDE that is in Stable when KDE is a number or releases more advanced. But then if we want to add a custom packaged version because it's so massive it can create all kind of problems and dependencies -- that's the conundrum I remember from MEPIS days... the people who decided to use Xfce instead of KDE for MX were very smart (not me, I kind of came back from Arch when people already were decided "we are going to do a Xfce version of antiX that caters to MEPIS community")

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

I did do those KDE respins of MX 15 and 16 that worked really well, and only added a couple hundred MB to the ISO, so I plan to follow the same route...probably after the new year, though. I'm still polishing up my in-place upgrade of MX 16 to 17. It was pretty involved, now the only problem is that the xfce terminal keeps coming up at the size of a postage stamp. Maybe I can figure out why on the Net...

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

Maybe you need to reset a config file for the terminal.

cgriffin

#6 Post by cgriffin »

Stevo wrote:I did do those KDE respins of MX 15 and 16 that worked really well, and only added a couple hundred MB to the ISO, so I plan to follow the same route...probably after the new year, though. I'm still polishing up my in-place upgrade of MX 16 to 17. It was pretty involved, now the only problem is that the xfce terminal keeps coming up at the size of a postage stamp. Maybe I can figure out why on the Net...
Thank you Steveo! That's good to hear. I personally don't mind using a KDE that's not bleeding edge. It's probably better that way - more stable that is. While XFCE is fine, KDE feels like a work of art, and if I have to use a computer, I'd rather do it artfully.

best,
Chris
--
Chris Griffin

Return to “General”