MX-17 Release Candidate 1 - Feedback

richb
Administrator

Re: MX-17 Release Candidate 1 - Feedback

#171 Post by richb »

vamsi wrote:
richb wrote:
vamsi wrote:

It is 2.08.14. The latest stable version is 2.08.8 The 2.09 versions are listed as unstable.It is completely functional with all the goodies that are needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz
okay how about adding unstable version to MX Test Repo :happy: :happy:
In my opinion we should not put unstable versions of Compiz in our test repo. They are still under development. Also I see no reason to do so.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

asqwerth
Developer

#172 Post by asqwerth »

@vamsi:
okay how about adding unstable version to MX Test Repo
Pls read the wiki link on compiz that richb provided.

- 0.8 series is Reloaded, the one you were so excited about in the youtube link. It is still maintained. It is so easily installed via the Popular Apps tab of MXPI ("window managers" category).
- unstable version is the unpopular 0.9 series that doesn't seem very well used.
- this request is not feedback on the RC
- this is a potential package request, so please post in the correct place and you can try to persuade the packaging team as to why version 0.9 should be packaged.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

vamsi

#173 Post by vamsi »

asqwerth wrote:@vamsi:
okay how about adding unstable version to MX Test Repo
Pls read the wiki link on compiz that richb provided.

- 0.8 series is Reloaded, the one you were so excited about in the youtube link. It is still maintained. It is so easily installed via the Popular Apps tab of MXPI ("window managers" category).
- unstable version is the unpopular 0.9 series that doesn't seem very well used.
- this request is not feedback on the RC
- this is a potential package request, so please post in the correct place and you can try to persuade the packaging team as to why version 0.9 should be packaged.
understood!

Stevo
Developer

#174 Post by Stevo »

i thought I explained the differences and reasons for the packaging in the compiz-reloaded thread at the start... :frown:

The 0.9 series removes many plugins and features. Is that what you want?

vamsi

#175 Post by vamsi »

Stevo wrote:i thought I explained the differences and reasons for the packaging in the compiz-reloaded thread at the start... :frown:

The 0.9 series removes many plugins and features. Is that what you want?
oops i didn't saw it :eek:

calinb

#176 Post by calinb »

Stevo wrote:You can get a lock screen for security if coming back from suspend2ram, suspend2disk, or just screen blanking by just installing light-locker. The lock screen setting is in power management settings. I think we should have light-locker installed by default, perhaps the high-security settings remain as they are.
How can I turn-off the lock screen entirely? When I set Xfce Power Manager to Suspend using the laptop power button or when laptop lid is closed (battery and plugged in), I get a screen lock on resume. I also get the lock screen with the "Switch off display" selection.

"The Xfce Power Manager Security "Lock screen when system is going for sleep" box is NOT checked in the "System" tab. Is this check box bugged?

When I suspend using the Whisker menu Log Out button, MX-17 resumes without the lock screen, which is the desired behavior.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Update:

I no longer have the problem. ("Lock screen when system is going for sleep" box now works.) I'm nearly 100% sure that the unchecked state of the box started to function correctly immediately after I enabled a screensaver for the first time in "Screensaver." (I enabled the screensaver on a hunch that it might affect the lock screen behavior.) Now I can even disable the the screensaver and the state of the box correctly controls the lock screen option. I've attempted to change and toggle numerous related settings and have not been able to duplicate the bug.
Last edited by calinb on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#177 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Eadwine Rose wrote:Another one is I have to be root to power off the system?

*scratches head*

Lifting this to the top, it happens on the new MX17 final install as well.

Only once though after a fresh install, once you have rebooted it's gone.

So weird.

I cannot reproduce since I have rebooted, but when I am all done tweaking and fiddling I can see with another drive what it does and try some things out with someone if you want.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

nathan2423

#178 Post by nathan2423 »

I never saw a final answer as to whether those with a well-running MX17 Rc1 need to to a full reinstall to final. If we are doing well on RC1 can we just do the dist-upgrade and sail along? I don't mind missing a few small tweaks to graphics or something like that.

cyrilus31

#179 Post by cyrilus31 »

From Adrian 10 Dec
"If this is not a FAQ I don't know what is... we should probably post the response in the announcement too.
RCs will update to Final (at least that what we did in the past)."

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#180 Post by ChrisUK »

nathan2423 wrote:I never saw a final answer as to whether those with a well-running MX17 Rc1 need to to a full reinstall to final. If we are doing well on RC1 can we just do the dist-upgrade and sail along? I don't mind missing a few small tweaks to graphics or something like that.
Have a look here
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Return to “General”