MX-17 Beta 3 Feedback

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: MX-17 Beta 3 Feedback

#301 Post by chrispop99 »

vamsi wrote:And also when there are no updates in MX Updater when we click on the icon it is not opening instead of synaptic package manager is opening why ??
Synaptic opens with left-click when there are no updates by design.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

stsoh

#302 Post by stsoh »

Jerry3904 wrote:Just saw that: it's because we have changed the name of MX Apt-notifier to MX Updater, but MX Apt-notifier is still listed in the Autostart. A temporary bug.
ok, thanks.
got rid of one by uncheck mx-apt-notifier from app autostart.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

vamsi

#303 Post by vamsi »

chrispop99 wrote:
vamsi wrote:And also when there are no updates in MX Updater when we click on the icon it is not opening instead of synaptic package manager is opening why ??

Chris
Hello Chris we can use right click and open synaptic know then why it is included it in left click if we want to use synaptic we will use it from whisker menu or right click on Mx updater actually i do not think it is much useful actually we click on MX updater to check for updates or some other stuff but in middle synaptic is opening it is not that good. This is my suggestion.( Actually i don't know that Mx updater is programmed to open synaptic i got sick of it at the beginning now you clarified it i think many newbies can't understand this).. :happy: :happy:

Thanks,
Vamsi..

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#304 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Jerry3904 wrote:Just saw that: it's because we have changed the name of MX Apt-notifier to MX Updater, but MX Apt-notifier is still listed in the Autostart. A temporary bug.
its because the apt-notifier.desktop in /etc/xdg/autostart isn't removed by the update to mx-updater, so there are 2 autostart entries.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

richb
Administrator

#305 Post by richb »

vamsi wrote:
chrispop99 wrote:

Chris
Hello Chris we can use right click and open synaptic know then why it is included it in left click if we want to use synaptic we will use it from whisker menu or right click on Mx updater actually i do not think it is much useful actually we click on MX updater to check for updates or some other stuff but in middle synaptic is opening it is not that good. This is my suggestion.( Actually i don't know that Mx updater is programmed to open synaptic i got sick of it at the beginning now you clarified it i think many newbies can't understand this).. :happy: :happy:

Thanks,
Vamsi..
You may not agree with the outcome but these functions are thoroughly discussed by the Development Team and a decision made. Having said that, the Team is responsive to user suggestions as witnessed by the name change of apt notifier to MX Updater.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

stsoh

#306 Post by stsoh »

dolphin_oracle wrote:
its because the apt-notifier.desktop in /etc/xdg/autostart isn't removed by the update to mx-updater, so there are 2 autostart entries.
great n thanks, this is much better.
deleted apt-notifier.desktop, not in app autostart any more.
is there any more residues left?
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

vamsi

#307 Post by vamsi »

richb wrote:
vamsi wrote:
chrispop99 wrote: Synaptic opens with left-click when there are no updates by design.

Chris

Thanks,
Vamsi..
You may not agree with the outcome but these functions are thoroughly discussed by the Development Team and a decision made. Having said that, the Team is responsive to user suggestions as witnessed by the name change of apt notifier to MX Updater.
ok Thanks.. :happy: :happy:

MX<3

#308 Post by MX<3 »

asqwerth wrote:I think @vamsi's and MX<3's suggestions for more granular control over individual updateable packages in apt-notifier defeats the purpose that it, and MX, is meant to be newcomer-friendly. The whole point of apt-notifier (and I agree with vamsi that the name could be clearer and more obvious for newcomers) is that it is a quick way to update your whole system with a click.

A user knowledgeable enough to choose which packages to update or not, and even which packages to pin to an older version, can do these things from Synaptic or terminal. And Synaptic is accessible from the right click context menu of the Notifier.

I feel the Notifier itself should be kept simple and straightforward. Any improvements should be focused on simplicity and clarity for the newcomer rather than additional complexity (esp when we are referring to functionality that duplicates what can already be done in Synaptic).

This is my own opinion, of course.

Of course simple is best. What I meant was: Everything to still remain as is but there be a tick box, just in case a person wants to keep something as it already is.

So there is no need to touch anything initially but a new user, aka me, can stop something like Firefox or Opera or VirtualBox from updating if they like, without having to use Synaptic.

Synaptic is a little overwhelming for a new user, it was for me anyway and I don't know the console commands to lock an app version, so this simple elegant funcionality in Apt-Notifier would be very welcome.

And it would actually make things easier for a new user. No need to touch anything but one click to update still. No need to open Synaptic, click the Reload, find your installed app you want to lock and the click the Force Version, through the Menu Bar or wherever it is.

...Maybe for MX 18... :crossfingers: :puppy:
My Computer
MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU
2x 8GB DDR4 2666 Memory Modules
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060Ti Grfx Card
M.2 x1 @500GB HDD x1 @ 2TB

Jerry3904
Administrator

#309 Post by Jerry3904 »

Synaptic is a little overwhelming for a new user, it was for me anyway and I don't know the console commands to lock an app version
As a new user, you might use the "Synaptic Help" link of Apt-notifier's context menu and read a bit.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

MX<3

#310 Post by MX<3 »

Jerry3904 wrote:
Synaptic is a little overwhelming for a new user, it was for me anyway and I don't know the console commands to lock an app version
As a new user, you might use the "Synaptic Help" link of Apt-notifier's context menu and read a bit.

...sounds simple.
My Computer
MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU
2x 8GB DDR4 2666 Memory Modules
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060Ti Grfx Card
M.2 x1 @500GB HDD x1 @ 2TB

Return to “General”