MX-17 Beta 3 Feedback

vamsi

Re: MX-17 Beta 3 Feedback

#261 Post by vamsi »

Jerry3904 wrote:
vamsi wrote:My suggestions regarding MX Apt-notifier :-

First of all change the name to MX- Updater or MX-Update manager like that apt-notifier seems to be weird name i think

Second in the apt-notifier there is no option to select the updates which only we want to install we were forced to installed all the founded updates i think it is not cool way if we can select the which updates we want it will be much more accessible

Third change the names on apt-notifier i.e. apt-get-dist-upgrade to like upgrade or some thing like that which is under stable to newbie also and change the reload button name to check for updates like that and other one to switch something like that

Fourth when there are no updates when we left click on the apt-notifier synaptic package manager is opening sometimes it is kind of irritating me we can open synaptic package manager directly but some times it is opening like that

Hope you will make some changes in these and make MX- Linux more accessible to the community..

Thanks..
Best Regards,
Vamsi.
Some things to consider here, thanks.
Thanks jerry :happy: :happy:

MX<3

#262 Post by MX<3 »

Jerry3904 wrote:

First of all change the name to MX- Updater or MX-Update manager like that apt-notifier seems to be weird name i think

Second in the apt-notifier there is no option to select the updates which only we want to install we were forced to installed all the founded updates i think it is not cool way if we can select the which updates we want it will be much more accessible

Third change the names on apt-notifier i.e. apt-get-dist-upgrade to like upgrade or some thing like that which is under stable to newbie also and change the reload button name to check for updates like that and other one to switch something like that

Fourth when there are no updates when we left click on the apt-notifier synaptic package manager is opening sometimes it is kind of irritating me we can open synaptic package manager directly but some times it is opening like that

Hope you will make some changes in these and make MX- Linux more accessible to the community..

Thanks..
Best Regards,
Vamsi.

There is something interesting to me here, too. I know we can lock an application version in Synaptic but how about:-

Adding the ability in Apt-Notifier? When we click Apt-Notifier, after being notified of updates, there is a tick box next to non-core applications. If ticked, the version installed will be kept.

Apt-Notifier then remembers this preference and doesn't mention any update for that application again. When other updates are available and Apt-Notifier is opened, those kept back versions are there, with the toggle-tick-box still.

Showing the 'This Version is installed' and 'This Version is available' info. Kinda like in Apt-History:

xserver-xorg-video-nouveau amd64 1:1.0.12-2mx150+1 1:1.0.13-1mx150+1

And then we can keep or install/update applications, however we like, very easily.

There is a Console Command that Force Locks an Application Version, right? Easy enough to add this?

What d'you think?
My Computer
MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU
2x 8GB DDR4 2666 Memory Modules
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060Ti Grfx Card
M.2 x1 @500GB HDD x1 @ 2TB

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#263 Post by dolphin_oracle »

MX<3 wrote:
Jerry3904 wrote:

Thanks..
Best Regards,
Vamsi.

There is something interesting to me here, too. I know we can lock an application version in Synaptic but how about:-

Adding the ability in Apt-Notifier? When we click Apt-Notifier, after being notified of updates, there is a tick box next to non-core applications. If ticked, the version installed will be kept.

Apt-Notifier then remembers this preference and doesn't mention any update for that application again. When other updates are available and Apt-Notifier is opened, those kept back versions are there, with the toggle-tick-box still.

Showing the 'This Version is installed' and 'This Version is available' info. Kinda like in Apt-History:

xserver-xorg-video-nouveau amd64 1:1.0.12-2mx150+1 1:1.0.13-1mx150+1

And then we can keep or install/update applications, however we like, very easily.

There is a Console Command that Force Locks an Application Version, right? Easy enough to add this?

What d'you think?

Not particularly easy, especially considering that Synaptic already does all that rather well.

Plus when debian updates you'll be presented with a million options.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#264 Post by Jerry3904 »

I am getting an error when I try to run smxi or any relative:

Code: Select all

url failed with wget error
Is it working for others?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

asqwerth
Developer

#265 Post by asqwerth »

I think @vamsi's and MX<3's suggestions for more granular control over individual updateable packages in apt-notifier defeats the purpose that it, and MX, is meant to be newcomer-friendly. The whole point of apt-notifier (and I agree with vamsi that the name could be clearer and more obvious for newcomers) is that it is a quick way to update your whole system with a click.

A user knowledgeable enough to choose which packages to update or not, and even which packages to pin to an older version, can do these things from Synaptic or terminal. And Synaptic is accessible from the right click context menu of the Notifier.

I feel the Notifier itself should be kept simple and straightforward. Any improvements should be focused on simplicity and clarity for the newcomer rather than additional complexity (esp when we are referring to functionality that duplicates what can already be done in Synaptic).

This is my own opinion, of course.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

kmathern
Developer

#266 Post by kmathern »

Jerry3904 wrote:I am getting an error when I try to run smxi or any relative:

url failed with wget error
Is it working for others?
That's an error with the smxi/sgfxi/svmi/inxi stub installer (does anyone use svmi ?) in the /usr/sbin folder.

Below are the urls, the smxi.org urls all throw a 403 error, the inxi throws a 404 error.

42	DOWNLOAD_URL_INXI='http://inxi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/'
    43	DOWNLOAD_URL_SGFXI='http://smxi.org/sg/'
    44	DOWNLOAD_URL_SMXI='http://smxi.org/sm/'
    45	DOWNLOAD_URL_SVMI='http://smxi.org/sv/'
How much room are we saving using the stub installer and not having the full scripts loaded on the iso ?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#267 Post by Jerry3904 »

I feel the Notifier itself should be kept simple and straightforward.
+1
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

arjaybe

#268 Post by arjaybe »

asqwerth wrote:I think @vamsi's and MX<3's suggestions for more granular control over individual updateable packages in apt-notifier defeats the purpose that it, and MX, is meant to be newcomer-friendly. The whole point of apt-notifier (and I agree with vamsi that the name could be clearer and more obvious for newcomers) is that it is a quick way to update your whole system with a click.

A user knowledgeable enough to choose which packages to update or not, and even which packages to pin to an older version, can do these things from Synaptic or terminal. And Synaptic is accessible from the right click context menu of the Notifier.

I feel the Notifier itself should be kept simple and straightforward. Any improvements should be focused on simplicity and clarity for the newcomer rather than additional complexity (esp when we are referring to functionality that duplicates what can already be done in Synaptic).

This is my own opinion, of course.
I agree with this. Keep it simple at the desktop level.
Green Comet
Space particles.

richb
Administrator

#269 Post by richb »

Jerry3904 wrote:
I feel the Notifier itself should be kept simple and straightforward.
+1
Simple.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Paul..

#270 Post by Paul.. »

Jerry3904 wrote:I am getting an error when I try to run smxi or any relative: