MX-17 Beta 2 Feedback

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX-17 Beta 2 Feedback

#251 Post by Stevo »

dr-kart wrote:I tried to install oracle java 9. http://www.webupd8.org/2015/02/install- ... linux.html
(I did this way with mx 16.1 with no issues)
Now installation went without any warnings. And I do have

Code: Select all

java -version
java version "9.0.1"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 9.0.1+11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 9.0.1+11, mixed mode)
But neither Firefox ESR nor Palemoon locate java plug-in. Which was the case with mx16.1.
Still not sure if this relates to current mx17b2. Did anyone have an experience installing java9 ?
It maybe a different setup for Oracle Java...our browser plugin is usually supplied by icedtea-plugin. We also have the openJDK 9 in our test repo for Java 9.

We are removing the browser plugin from the ISO since Firefox 57 no longer supports it.

dr-kart

#252 Post by dr-kart »

Qupzilla 2.1.2 from test repo.
Won't connect any url. Since by default it has Proxy Configuration from Preferences|Browsing set to Manual configuration. Instead of System proxy configuration.

MX-16_fan

#253 Post by MX-16_fan »

@BitJam:
BitJam wrote:I've had that problem with SanDisk Ultra-Fit usb 3 sticks. They would always boot if I unplugged and replugged them while it was looking for the linuxfs file. I could not find a way to fix it. I think it is a problem with the hardware and/or the kernel. I've stopped using them as live-usbs. I now use Samsung Flash drive Fit usb-3 sticks. I don't have this problem with them or with any of the other usb sticks I've tried.
Since yours is a USB flash drive and the one I have here is a USB WiFi adapter, sounds like the system is having problems with USB in general?

Greetings, Joe

nathan2423

#254 Post by nathan2423 »

dr-kart wrote:Qupzilla 2.1.2 from test repo.
Won't connect any url. Since by default it has Proxy Configuration from Preferences|Browsing set to Manual configuration. Instead of System proxy configuration.
I wish there were a like button. Not in relation to the beta testing, but I've run into that issue with Qupzilla regularly.

BitJam
Developer

#255 Post by BitJam »

MX-16_fan wrote:Since yours is a USB flash drive and the one I have here is a USB WiFi adapter, sounds like the system is having problems with USB in general?
I doubt the two problems are related. When you said "nano stick" I thought you meant a flash drive, not a wifi dongle. For your problem, looking at the kernel messages may be useful. I suggest:

dmesg --color=always | less -R
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

jerry525

#256 Post by jerry525 »

I'm not sure where my post went, here's a re-post:

I get this message on my desktop after logging in; Configured directory for incoming files does not exist. Please make sure that directory "/home/demo/Downloads" exists or configure it with blueman-services

No idea what to do with this.

BitJam
Developer

#257 Post by BitJam »

jerry525 wrote:I get this message on my desktop after logging in; Configured directory for incoming files does not exist. Please make sure that directory "/home/demo/Downloads" exists or configure it with blueman-services

No idea what to do with this.
I remember seeing this problem reported before. If it was your report I saw then IIRC, you get this message on an installed system with a username other than "demo". Had you done a snapshot before installing? I also remember that you had never used bluetooth. I think I asked you to run a command to search everything under your home directory for "demo" but we came up blank.

Someone else reported this same message on MX-14.4 but they were having other problems as well. With a Google(make sure that directory exists or configure it with blueman-services) I've found similar reports where the old home directory had to be recreated in order to get rid of this message. There was also a bug report in the blueman-project github repo.

There may be something funky in the file ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs or something strange in the XDG stuff, perhaps the $XDG_CONFIG_HOME variable or $XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR. Perhaps /home/demo/Downloads gets baked in somewhere along the way and then it sticks even though it is not the same user anymore.

If the file ~/config/user-dirs.dirs exists (or something like that), please post the contents. Perhaps with:

head -n30 ~/.config/user-dirs*

Also please post the output of the command:

printenv | grep XDG
Maybe one of the other devs with more free time can help try to track this down.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

jerry525

#258 Post by jerry525 »

You are right, I made some changes in live mode which saved on exit (language, keyboard & locale mainly), then I used this snapshot when I used it again & installed.
Here are the outputs:

jerry@mx1:~
$ head -n30 ~/.config/user-dirs*
==> /home/jerry/.config/user-dirs.dirs <==
# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update
# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're
# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run
# Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped
# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an
# absolute path. No other format is supported.
# 
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Public"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos"

==> /home/jerry/.config/user-dirs.locale <==

en_GBjerry@mx1:~
$ printenv | grep XDG
XDG_MENU_PREFIX=xfce-
XDG_VTNR=7
XDG_SESSION_ID=1
XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm/data/jerry
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/xfce4:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/:/usr/share
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=lightdm-xsession
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=XFCE
XDG_SEAT=seat0
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg

MX-16_fan

#259 Post by MX-16_fan »

Just had the chance to test a friend's Technoethical N150 Mini Wireless USB Adapter for GNU/Linux-libre (https://tehnoetic.com/tehnoetic-wireles ... e-tet-n150). This is one of only two smaller USB WiFi sticks on the market that currently are officially being endorsed by the Free Software Foundation (see http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorse ... ur-freedom).

What can I say? Plugged it in while MX-17 Beta 2 (fully dist-upgraded, including this version's "MX Test Repo") was running. Auto-detected in lightning speed, approx. one second, even though on slow hardware. System showed available networks approx. two seconds later.

I can definitely recommend this wonderful piece of hardware for testing. Thanks so much, MX-17 developers.

And thanks, Technoethical and Richard Stallman. Really great job!

Greetings, Joe

Adrian
Developer

#260 Post by Adrian »

Beta 3 is out viewtopic.php?f=94&t=43349
It's probably time to close the feedback for Beta 2.

Return to “General”