MX-17 Beta 2 Feedback

danielson

Re: MX-17 Beta 2 Feedback

#221 Post by danielson »

With Manjaro, updating to newest kernel always erases boot entry to Windows.
Can grub-customizer help to avoid this in MX-Linux?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#222 Post by dolphin_oracle »

danielson wrote:With Manjaro, updating to newest kernel always erases boot entry to Windows.
I've got 4 kernels installed right now (currently using antix 4.14.2 kernel) and my windows entry has remained thru them all.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

jerry525

#223 Post by jerry525 »

Has anyone tried to install the Private Internet Access Open VPN Application?
MX 16 worked a treat with the Version 68. (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/)
I tried installing the latest version but did not work.
I tried installing earlier versions but no luck also, just got messages that I had the latest version.
I've now done a full reinstall of MX17 beta so am ready to try something.

asqwerth
Developer

#224 Post by asqwerth »

danielson wrote:With Manjaro, updating to newest kernel always erases boot entry to Windows.
A caution: if your main grub is something other than Manjaro, the boot entry generated for Manjaro by your other distro will have a missing portion in the initrd line. That's because Manjaro boots up the intel microcode differently from other distros, which is reflected in their correct/complete grub entry.

You'll need to manually edit the Manjaro boot entry in your other distro to have a proper grub menu entry that boots into Manjaro, or create a custom separate boot entry (manually or using grub-customiser) which has the complete initrd line.

Another caution: using grub-customiser over a long period, especially with a distro that has constant kernel updates (e.g. Manjaro), will lead eventually to lots of repeat entries in grub menu.

For that reason, I made Manjaro my main grub. But then, I don't have Windows on my PC.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

asqwerth
Developer

#225 Post by asqwerth »

Stevo wrote:Any thoughts about going to the newer papirus-icon-theme in testing? Visibly changes the Firefox icon to more to of a reddish instead of orangeish color, and needs a few more MB on the ISO for the new papirus-adapta and papirus-adapta-nokto variants. Lots of other icon additions/changes, too.
I like the adapta variants. FF icon is much more clearly defined now, which I like.
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#226 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I've asked the papirus guys to modify the help-about icon. conversing with them now, although I'm not sure we are going to get the answer we want.

asqwerth
Developer

#227 Post by asqwerth »

Actually, what's wrong with the life preserver icon? I'm curious. Or is it just that it refuses to show up at all in the mx-apps when help-about is used as the icon?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#228 Post by dolphin_oracle »

asqwerth wrote:Actually, what's wrong with the life preserver icon? I'm curious. Or is it just that it refuses to show up at all in the mx-apps when help-about is used as the icon?

there is not wrong with it per se, it just doesn't match the other default icons on the mx-app button bars. Its also not consistent in papirus, depending on size for instance.

jerry525

#229 Post by jerry525 »

jerry525 wrote:Has anyone tried to install the Private Internet Access Open VPN Application?
MX 16 worked a treat with the Version 68. (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/)
I tried installing the latest version but did not work.
I tried installing earlier versions but no luck also, just got messages that I had the latest version.
I've now done a full reinstall of MX17 beta so am ready to try something.
I’ve moved to Linux Mint (ironically it's where I started), really sorry, I loved MX. But PIA worked straight away with the latest Mint Cinnamon edition.
I wish you all well.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#230 Post by Jerry3904 »

Thanks for letting us know--now we'll look into it!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “General”