Monthly snapshot announcement

Alt

Re: Monthly snapshot announcement

#41 Post by Alt »

Wow, am I dreaming?! For years under "Legacy" BIOS mode I've been using dd and repaired filesystem afterwards with command. For writable flash with bootable OS I booted to Windows just to use Rufus, or made "Persistent live" (Ubuntu's mkusb). And now it's all that simple!!! You sir just made my day!
*calmed down, back on topic*
So I unpacked content from ISO and copied it to freshly formatted (FAT32) USB.
Boot loader showed only UEFI option which booted just fine (just like other recent distros, actually "Legacy" option was another reason to use Rufus).
----
So I went ahead and booted Windows with Rufus to make a bootable USB from MX-17.1_May_x64.iso
HP Boot loader showed me both Legacy and UEFI, both of them worked! :happy:
Booted back into system and compared content with Meld. Surprisingly not much difference.
ZqO2zxF.jpg
I hope anticapitalista/MX will use this method
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alt on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Developer

#42 Post by fehlix »

Alt wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:38 am I hope anticapitalista/MX will use this method
Sure you can create syslinux-usb with any such method. Rufus does it similar.
You would only make sure that the USB-boot-"syslinux-mbr" fits to the syslinix version in use
other wise you might get syslinux boot-error, when booting in legacy biso-more.
The EFI part is even simpler to create on a fat32 /efi esp. On the USB stick place the
corresponding boot*.efi in to ESP /EFI/BOOT as the most UEFIs will scann all avail ESP'S
and will presend you with the boot*.efi's found.
MX/antiX does use 2 partions on USB and the ISO one small fat32 ESP(EFI) and one big ext4 for /antiX etc.
Only the EFI-ESP on fat32 will be shown on UEFI-boot menu.
.. Hope that's not to confusing as it sounds ;=)
:snail:
--fehlix
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Alt

#43 Post by Alt »

I wish there was program like Rufus under Linux or good tutorial about how to do the same with CLI. I understand that dd is the most simple & reliable method (that's why Etcher and tons if similar programs exist) but come on! It's such outdated & painful way, especially for regular users who can't restore their USB afterwards and have to use dangerous command (if you have several disks inserted)

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=2048 count=32

fehlix
Developer

#44 Post by fehlix »

Alt wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:07 pm I wish there was program like Rufus under Linux or good tutorial about how to do the same with CLI.
Yep, Rufus is one of the best. UNetbootin.. ok at least it works, you should try it out it's available in the repo and works on the "other" OS too. A nice USB-reformating and user-resistant is still in the queue. Gparted for new user is defacto to dangerous, and does not handle usb-stick specific issues enough.
:snail:
--fehlix

Adrian
Developer

#45 Post by Adrian »

Sorry, in the end what's the conclusion, is there something missing/wrong in the snapshot regarding UEFI?

Alt

#46 Post by Alt »

Adrian wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:33 pm Sorry, in the end what's the conclusion, is there something missing/wrong in the snapshot regarding UEFI?
Well, it doesn't work for me as expected but thanks to fehlix I found another way.

MX-17.1_May_x64.iso:
1) bootable USB created with "dd" - UEFI doesn't work (immediately returns into BIOS boot menu), Legacy works
2) FAT32-formated USB with unpacked content from ISO = UEFI works, "Legacy" doesn't show up (same with the orher recent distros)

MX-17.1_x64.iso + dd - both Legacy & UEFI work.

Alt

#47 Post by Alt »

Found the reason - missing EFI partition.
It just doesn't get created after burning Snapshot with "dd".
So I created it with the help of fdisk & mkfas.fat, copied all files - system booted normally! :number1:

fehlix
Developer

#48 Post by fehlix »

Alt wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:17 pm Found the reason - missing EFI partition.
It just doesn't get created after burning Snapshot with "dd".
So I created it with the help of fdisk & mkfas.fat, copied all files - system booted normally! :number1:
Well done, you are the self-made man! :happy:

Alt

#49 Post by Alt »

Thank you! In reality I just spent too much time on this :/
---
Previously all my attempts to make Rufus-like USB (one writable partition with "Legacy" menu entry) using Syslinux failed misserably.
On the bright said, I figured out how to make even better (I'd say perfect!) USB (original partition + writable partition). Hope to write tutorial soon.

oops

#50 Post by oops »

Adrian wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:40 pm...
As usual, snapshots are not for people who already have MX Linux installed, they are for people who want to run up-to-date Live environment or who want to install on computer without having to install updates after the installation.
... Also useful for MX17, to have the new installer I guess ...
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Return to “General”