mx-package-manager (new MX app)

fehlix
Developer

Re: mx-package-manager (new MX app)

#31 Post by fehlix »

WarhawkCZ wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:05 am ... and started downgrading relevant packages back to the stable version using synaptics.
I started with the least significant one.
You repo seem to be ok, no test-repo enabled.
Not sure what you have done with "started downgrading relevant packages back to the stable version using synaptics"
To go back from a test-repo installed version, just install the version from stable using MXPI,
and make sure you have not manually enabled the test-repo.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

WarhawkCZ

#32 Post by WarhawkCZ »

fehlix wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:34 am Not sure what you have done with "started downgrading relevant packages back to the stable version using synaptics"
If I remember correctly, I went to synaptic and used the Force version option. This did not work for non-obvious reasons (message: operation failed). I uninstalled the complete package an reinstalled the version I wanted manually. This is still only about the xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin. I went this path because I was not able to downgrade my xfce4 packages through MXPI and I don't know better.

Let's have another example - xfce4-settings. MXPI claims that the latest version has been already installed:

If I proceed further, I'll get this:

Same story with xfce4-power-manager

but the latest official version in Stable Repo is 1.4.4-4. If i try to download it, I'll get:

Conclusions:

- It is not possible to downgrade packages from the Test Repo to Stable Repo using the MXPI (at least in my case)

Edit: After manually removing old packages (apt-get autoremove) and rebooting the system, MXPI does not show xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin update anymore.
:happy:
I use Google before asking dumb questions but I am new to Linux. Thank you for your patience :-)

fehlix
Developer

#33 Post by fehlix »

WarhawkCZ wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:25 pm - It is not possible to downgrade packages from the Test Repo to Stable Repo using the MXPI (at least in my case)
Well, your pictures do indicate, the MXPI shows the content of the local package list including the packages from the test-repo.
You would need the refresh the package list first, after having disabled the test-repo, which
you seem have enabled manually. Trying to install from an non-valid package list will not succeed.

If you install a package with MXPI from the test-repo, the test-repo will automatically and temporally first enabled and after installation disabled and the stable-repo list refreshed after installation.

You have done it somehow manually, keeping the old package list, and confusing MXPI and yourself :p
It's not recommended to enable the test-repo and keep it enabled.
You can always check with MX Repo Manager just in case.
:puppy:

WarhawkCZ

#34 Post by WarhawkCZ »

Thank you Fehlix for your swift replies. I admit that I fiddled with packages manually and I am probably the first reason of the previously described behavior.

Because I am a curious little penguin, I took my second machine (Thinkpad x61) which has never had anything from the test repo. I installed xfce4-pulseudio-plugin from the test repo, rebooted the laptop (heh, windows guy here) and tried to go back to the stable version using the MXPI. However, it seems that MXPI is not able to switch back to the stable version once the packge from the test repo was installed.

Could you please test this behavior? What would be the recommended way how to "downgrade" a package from the test repo back to the version from the stable repo?

Thanks!
Last edited by WarhawkCZ on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google before asking dumb questions but I am new to Linux. Thank you for your patience :-)

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#35 Post by dolphin_oracle »

MXPI cannot downgrade.

When I downgrade, I remove the package then reinstall from the repo I want. You can sometimes also force a downgrade with synaptic.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

fehlix
Developer

#36 Post by fehlix »

Yes, D_O's answer is the correct procedure, short and precise - as always :exclamation:
To reinstall the version from stable: remove existing installed from test-repo, and reinstall again from stable (with disabled testrepo).

WarhawkCZ

#37 Post by WarhawkCZ »

Thank you, this makes perfect sense. I learned a lot.

WarhawkCZ

#38 Post by WarhawkCZ »

Guys, there is still something fishy about the MXPI. Today, I wanted to update my kicad package since the new release fixes issues which are important to me. It was a transition from the version 5.0.0 to 5.0.2.
I checked my notes and found out that I installed the version 5.0.0 from the test repo using the MXPI. All right, I opened the MXPI and went to check if there is a new version (5.0.2) available. I went to the test repo and to my surprise, the kicad package wasn't there anymore. I tried other sources and I found it only in the Debian Backports section. I wanted to do an upgrade but this did not work. Okay, I removed the old 5.0.0 package completely and wanted to do a "clean" installation of the 5.0.2 version. However, for whatever reason my MXPI started showing the 5.0.2 version of the kicad also in the Stable Repo. I assume this is a bug in the GUI because 5.0.2 installation from the stable repo installs actually the ancient version 4.0.5. Only the installation from the Debian Backports works.

Summary:
- MXPI GUI can go sometimes crazy and shows an incorrect version of packages.
- The GUI gets stuck and now permanently shows incorrect version of kicad in the stable repo no matter what I try (apt clean, reboot).
- why kicad 5.0.0 disappeared from the test repo?

PS: I have two laptops running MX18 so I can compare. Both laptops show different results when I search "kicad" using the MXPI.

Below is an image of the "broken" MXPI. I believe, each of you can confirm that the 5.0.2 in the stable repo does not exist.

Code: Select all

[code]
System:    Host: ThinkPadt430 Kernel: 4.19.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: MX-18_x64 Continuum March 14  2018 
           base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 2349D53 v: ThinkPad T430 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 2349D53 serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: LENOVO 
           v: G1ET91WW (2.51 ) date: 01/09/2013 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 59.5 Wh condition: 59.5/56.2 Wh (106%) model: LGC 45N1005 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i7-3520M bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Ivy Bridge 
           rev: 9 L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 23147 
           Speed: 1197 MHz min/max: 1200/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1197 2: 1197 3: 1197 
           4: 1197 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile v: 4.2 Mesa 18.2.6 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo 
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-1-amd64 
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network vendor: Lenovo driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k 
           port: 5080 bus ID: 00:19.0 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: efa0 
           bus ID: 03:00.0 
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           IF-ID-1: wwan0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 232.89 GiB used: 128.10 GiB (55.0%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 75.90 GiB used: 64.26 GiB (84.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 1.2 MiB (0.1%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 63.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 3627 
Repos:     Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
           1: deb http://mirror.funkfreundelandshut.de/mxlinux/packages/antix/stretch/ stretch main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/atom.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] https://packagecloud.io/AtomEditor/atom/any/ any main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.cz.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.cz.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
           2: deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list 
           1: deb http://mirror.funkfreundelandshut.de/mxlinux/packages/mx/repo/ stretch main non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/thinkpads.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] https://thinkpads.org/repo/apt/ /
           No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list 
           1: deb http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb/ stable main
Info:      Processes: 222 Uptime: 1h 18m Memory: 7.50 GiB used: 1.56 GiB (20.8%) Init: SysVinit 
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.29 
[/code]

Paul..

#39 Post by Paul.. »

Via MXPI, for kcad I'm showing: (on MX-18 64 bit clean install)

4.05 - Stable
None - MX Test
5.02 - Debian Backports

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#40 Post by dolphin_oracle »

those ~bp* in the version numbers are give aways that the debian backports repo is enabled on that machine. Or at least the apt-cache still has debian-backports information in it. refreshing the sources will probably clear that up, as long as the backports repo isn't in active sources.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “General”