mx-package-manager (new MX app)

Adrian
Developer

mx-package-manager (new MX app)

#1 Post by Adrian »

Hey all,

I rewrote MX-Package-Installer, MX-Test-Installer, MX-Debian-Backports-Installer into one application. I added the feature to remove packages and to manage all the system apps -- however this package is not meant to replace Synaptic, just to provide an alternative and supplement some features (installing from Debian backports, installing from MX test repo, installing apps not available in Synaptic: e.g., Google Chrome).

I improved some things and fixed bugs so it would be really nice I could use this package once is fully tested and translated to replace the 3 apps instead of having to backport all the improvements into the old packages.

EDIT: The package is now the repos, you can install it with "apt-get install mx-package-manager" or use Synaptic.

The package right now don't conflict with MX-Package-Installer, MX-Test-Installer, MX-Debian-Backports-Installer so you can install alongside, but in the future we'll probably remove those apps and keep only this unified application.

Please test and let me know how it works.

EDIT: after you install it either launch it from menu (you might need to log out and back in to see it there) or from terminal with "sudo -E mx-package-mangager" (the -E option insure you pass the environment to the package, otherwise it might look differently since it would use root settings not your own)
Last edited by Adrian on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: mx-package-manager (new MX app)

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

(Installed 64-bit on fresh install.)

Popular Applications worked to install/uninstall something.
Full App Catalog>MX Test Repo worked to install/uninstall something.
Full App Catalog>Debian Backports Repo worked to install/uninstall something.

Trivial:

Would it be possible to change the colour of the text on the Popular Applications tab that is used for the sections from the sickly green to plain black please? It has always grated with me!

Clicking About>License returns to the Package Manager without displaying anything.

This will tidy up the current individual tools very nicely; thanks for all the effort.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

Would it be possible to change the colour of the text on the Popular Applications tab that is used for the sections from the sickly green to plain black please? It has always grated with me!
That sounds easy, but I don't have a good solution other than changing to regular text color (black) but at the same time I want the name of the category to be different enough than the name of the packages. The problem is that depending on the theme whatever color I pick it might not show up OK on both dark and light themes.
Clicking About>License returns to the Package Manager without displaying anything.
I fixed that, I didn't bump the version since is a trivial issue, if you redownload the .deb you'll see it works now.

EDIT: I changed the text to black too, please reload and let me know if it's better.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#4 Post by chrispop99 »

Thanks Adrian, IMO opinion the black text looks much better, and fits well with the other MX tools.

License link works as expected now too.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

asqwerth
Developer

#5 Post by asqwerth »

I had previously installed the new papirus-icon-theme (with "gtk" dropped from the name) from Test Repo.

Opened the new MX Package Manager and accessed the Test Repo. Used search term "papirus":- papirus-icon-theme was found but not marked as being already installed. When I ticked the box next to it, the "Install" and not "Uninstall" button was ungreyed.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that in stable repo, a dummy transitional package for the old papirus-gtk-theme [whatever it's called] was still installed/in existence.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Adrian
Developer

#6 Post by Adrian »

I'm not sure, I had the gtk package installed when I switched to MX Test Repo I saw that gtk had an update and the papirus-icon-theme was available to be installed, I installed it and it pull the gtk update with it. From my point it looked as it should, not sure why it didn't show the package as installed for you.

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

The dummy package can be removed after the upgrade, if that fixes anything.

Richard

#8 Post by Richard »

Nice touch.
A great timesaver --start 1 for 3.
Will look for something to install later.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Gordon Cooper

#9 Post by Gordon Cooper »

No problems installing. Brief tests good. Many thanks Adrian.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#10 Post by dolphin_oracle »

asqwerth wrote:I had previously installed the new papirus-icon-theme (with "gtk" dropped from the name) from Test Repo.

Opened the new MX Package Manager and accessed the Test Repo. Used search term "papirus":- papirus-icon-theme was found but not marked as being already installed. When I ticked the box next to it, the "Install" and not "Uninstall" button was ungreyed.

I wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that in stable repo, a dummy transitional package for the old papirus-gtk-theme [whatever it's called] was still installed/in existence.
do any apps show as installed or upgradeable in the test repo area?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “General”