Thanks for all the comments!
NFT5 wrote:Hello all and a hearty "Well done" to everyone involved in the MX16 project.
I've been running Debian Stable (both Wheezy and Jessie) for a few years on a number of machines (9 at present) and while I've loved its stability there seemed to be, to me anyway, a movement away from the ordinary desktop user. As a result I'd been looking at alternatives, still Debian based, that made the task of installation and maintenance a bit more user friendly. Ubuntu MATE 16.04 looked like a viable alternative except that it wasn't 'really' Debian and was noticeably slower on every machine I tested. It was, however, a breeze to set up and maintain.
Enter MX16. I'd been watching MX15 but didn't think it was quite there. Noticed MX16 RC1 in DistroWatch and, unusually for me, gave it a go. Initially installed and then added the MATE desktop, this being what I'd been using. Something of a mistake, I fear, and I created a FrankenMiX. What I hadn't realised was that MX16 is very closely aligned to XFCE to the point where strange things happened in MATE.
It is very different than starting with a MATE system. For one, the MATE used is 1.8 because that's whats in the debian repo. There is a 1.16 in a separate testing repo... Also, Ubuntu MATE does a ton of customization. Its probably the best MATE based distro out there.
Re-formatted and started again, this time with XFCE and just those particular programs that I need/like. This seems to have worked very well and while I'm still not a huge XFCE fan I've been able to make a very workable system.
I'm glad you gave it another go!
So, a few comments:
- The old bugbear of the installation changing the swap UUID remains. Easily fixed by checking the 'no swap' during the install. Annoying but will remain a problem for those not aware of it and/or unable/unwilling to have to modify fstab on each installation they have.
I believe you very rightly commented on this one before, and we listened. Note the option you chose should read "None or Existing", the operative word being the "existing" in your case. I actually thought we changed it so that the selected partition wasn't formatted either, but apparently we didn't. Noted for future.
- For good or bad I favour AMD CPUs so I get the IO PAGE FAULT with each new installation. Again fixable but I wonder if it can be addressed in the installation process.
I don't know what that is, but we can look into it.
- Repos. Using the default Debian repository isn't always a good idea. For Australia it's ftp.au.debian.org and slow as a wet week. I made the mistake of not changing it the first time around and it took 5 hours to do the initial (quite small) set of updates. The Debian redirector is a much better choice.
interesting. we've seen similar from others.
- Desktop. No doubt XFCE is very configurable. But it's a mess, needing some things done with the GUI, others through configuration files and quite unintuitive. Setting up launchers on a panel is a major task that is much simpler, easier and more effective in MATE. Same for things like window styles/colours/icons etc. Can be done, sure, but seems much more difficult than it needs to be. Thunar? Yuk, but there's always Dolphin.
I agree with you in some ways. The separators really need to go. And the theme app really needs to control both the window manager theme and the "gtk" theme. some of this is a hold over to gtk2, which XFCE still uses. their first jump to gtk3 is supposed to be feature-to-feature, with nothing new, but who knows, maybe there will be some changes.
What was it you needed to set up with a config file?
Overall, an excellent job and no doubt there will be some tidying up and improvements as MX moves forwards. I'm convinced enough to have set MX16 as my primary distro and I think I'll be pretty happy with it.
A note, too, on this forum. Really such a nice change to see devs involved and helpful to all - the general tone here is really quite pleasant. Expect I'll be visiting often.
Thank you so much! I'm glad you are sticking with it.
Code: Select all
$ inxi -F
System: Host: BOSSDESK Kernel: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2
Distro: MX-16-RC1_x64 Metamorphosis 24 November 2016
Machine: Device: desktop System: Gigabyte product: N/A
Mobo: Gigabyte model: 970A-D3P v: x.x UEFI: American Megatrends v: FB date: 10/28/2014
CPU: Triple core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 3500 MHz 4: 1400 MHz 5: 1400 MHz
6: 1400 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210]
Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.3
Audio: Card-1 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: fc:aa:14:c1:43:1c
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1240.3GB (48.0% used)
ID-1: /dev/sdc model: OCZ size: 240.1GB
ID-2: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB
ID-3: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 6.0G (33%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc6
ID-2: /home size: 40G used: 485M (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc7
ID-3: swap-1 size: 16.72GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdc8
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 20.1C mobo: N/A gpu: 63.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 260 Uptime: 7:18 Memory: 1293.3/7954.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5