Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

MX-16 Final feedback

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: MX-16 Final feedback

#81 Postby chrispop99 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:19 am

NFT5 wrote:I should mention too, that I had some trouble with the Mount Devices plugin which seems to only show mounted drives and refuses to unmount them. Disk Manager seems a suitable substitute though.

On the assumption that you are referring to the USB Unmounter panel item, what were you trying to use it for? It was developed specifically to allow safe and easy removal of USB and optical devices. (See section 3.2.18 of the manual.)

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

asqwerth
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#82 Postby asqwerth » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:56 am

Now that I've installed MX16 on my SSD, may I confirm that I don't have to manually clean up the SSD once in a while because there is a cron job for this task? I recall some discussion about this last year but at that time I wasn't installing on SSD and didn't take much notice of what was said.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#83 Postby Jerry3904 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:58 am

Yup, search on "trim" in the Users Manual
Production: 4.13.0-1-amd64, MX-17, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.13.0-1-386. MX-17, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

richb
Administrator

#84 Postby richb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:59 am

Yes, once per week. You can check /var/log/trim.log for activity.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#85 Postby dolphin_oracle » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks for all the comments!

NFT5 wrote:Hello all and a hearty "Well done" to everyone involved in the MX16 project.

I've been running Debian Stable (both Wheezy and Jessie) for a few years on a number of machines (9 at present) and while I've loved its stability there seemed to be, to me anyway, a movement away from the ordinary desktop user. As a result I'd been looking at alternatives, still Debian based, that made the task of installation and maintenance a bit more user friendly. Ubuntu MATE 16.04 looked like a viable alternative except that it wasn't 'really' Debian and was noticeably slower on every machine I tested. It was, however, a breeze to set up and maintain.

Enter MX16. I'd been watching MX15 but didn't think it was quite there. Noticed MX16 RC1 in DistroWatch and, unusually for me, gave it a go. Initially installed and then added the MATE desktop, this being what I'd been using. Something of a mistake, I fear, and I created a FrankenMiX. What I hadn't realised was that MX16 is very closely aligned to XFCE to the point where strange things happened in MATE.

It is very different than starting with a MATE system. For one, the MATE used is 1.8 because that's whats in the debian repo. There is a 1.16 in a separate testing repo... Also, Ubuntu MATE does a ton of customization. Its probably the best MATE based distro out there.

Re-formatted and started again, this time with XFCE and just those particular programs that I need/like. This seems to have worked very well and while I'm still not a huge XFCE fan I've been able to make a very workable system.

I'm glad you gave it another go!

So, a few comments:
- The old bugbear of the installation changing the swap UUID remains. Easily fixed by checking the 'no swap' during the install. Annoying but will remain a problem for those not aware of it and/or unable/unwilling to have to modify fstab on each installation they have.

I believe you very rightly commented on this one before, and we listened. Note the option you chose should read "None or Existing", the operative word being the "existing" in your case. I actually thought we changed it so that the selected partition wasn't formatted either, but apparently we didn't. Noted for future.

- For good or bad I favour AMD CPUs so I get the IO PAGE FAULT with each new installation. Again fixable but I wonder if it can be addressed in the installation process.

I don't know what that is, but we can look into it.
- Repos. Using the default Debian repository isn't always a good idea. For Australia it's ftp.au.debian.org and slow as a wet week. I made the mistake of not changing it the first time around and it took 5 hours to do the initial (quite small) set of updates. The Debian redirector is a much better choice.

interesting. we've seen similar from others.

- Desktop. No doubt XFCE is very configurable. But it's a mess, needing some things done with the GUI, others through configuration files and quite unintuitive. Setting up launchers on a panel is a major task that is much simpler, easier and more effective in MATE. Same for things like window styles/colours/icons etc. Can be done, sure, but seems much more difficult than it needs to be. Thunar? Yuk, but there's always Dolphin.

I agree with you in some ways. The separators really need to go. And the theme app really needs to control both the window manager theme and the "gtk" theme. some of this is a hold over to gtk2, which XFCE still uses. their first jump to gtk3 is supposed to be feature-to-feature, with nothing new, but who knows, maybe there will be some changes.

What was it you needed to set up with a config file?

Overall, an excellent job and no doubt there will be some tidying up and improvements as MX moves forwards. I'm convinced enough to have set MX16 as my primary distro and I think I'll be pretty happy with it.

A note, too, on this forum. Really such a nice change to see devs involved and helpful to all - the general tone here is really quite pleasant. Expect I'll be visiting often.

Thank you so much! I'm glad you are sticking with it.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -F
System:    Host: BOSSDESK Kernel: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2
           Distro: MX-16-RC1_x64 Metamorphosis 24 November 2016
Machine:   Device: desktop System: Gigabyte product: N/A
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: 970A-D3P v: x.x UEFI: American Megatrends v: FB date: 10/28/2014
CPU:       Triple core AMD FX-6300 Six-Core (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 1400 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 3500 MHz 4: 1400 MHz 5: 1400 MHz
           6: 1400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.3
Audio:     Card-1 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: fc:aa:14:c1:43:1c
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1240.3GB (48.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sdc model: OCZ size: 240.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB
           ID-3: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 20G used: 6.0G (33%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc6
           ID-2: /home size: 40G used: 485M (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc7
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 16.72GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdc8
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 20.1C mobo: N/A gpu: 63.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 260 Uptime: 7:18 Memory: 1293.3/7954.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5
[/quote]
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#86 Postby dolphin_oracle » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:51 am

NFT5 wrote:
chrispop99 wrote:I'm not sure how it could be any easier.

True, but I had changed the Whisker menu for the Applications Menu which, in use, suits me better. It was more a case of coming to grips with the differences in placement of the icons on the panel - having to use separators for spacing and things like getting the background of the Notification Area to match the rest of the panel. Similarly things like getting rid of the ugly text background for Desktop icons. All sorted now but if I had problems, coming from some years experience with Debian Gnome and MATE then someone new to Linux would really have some difficulty.

I should mention too, that I had some trouble with the Mount Devices plugin which seems to only show mounted drives and refuses to unmount them. Disk Manager seems a suitable substitute though.

I think this may be a case where your extensive prior experience may be "in your way" so to speak. The background of the notifiction are of the panel is a pseudo transparent effect by default, as there is not a compositor enabled intitially. But it's dumb. If you change themes the panel will change color but not the notification area. It's an xfce quirk, and one I hide in mx-defaultlook by restarting the panel with xfce4-panel -r

This does not happen if the compositor is enabled (window manager tweaks). Then the notification area gets a true transparent effect.

A log out and log in will also clear up the panel.

Mx-usb-unmounter will not unmount if a device is in use, including file Manager windows.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 15 32 bit (streaming media player)
acer c720p chromebook - chromeos / MX15-64 (custom snapshot) live USB.
lenovo s21e - antiX-16 MX16(live-usb)

richb
Administrator

#87 Postby richb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:08 am

The notification panel background issue is an XFCE quirk. I have made a panel reload launcher for easy access and have compositor on. my panel background is a solid color matching the whisker menu gray. I frequently use the panel reload option when rebooting the system as my insync, (third party Google Drive syncing app) icon is very small. Resetting the panel makes it full size.
These anomalies are very easy to handle, and minor in my opinion.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#88 Postby BitJam » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:45 pm

NFT5 wrote:- Repos. Using the default Debian repository isn't always a good idea. For Australia it's ftp.au.debian.org and slow as a wet week. I made the mistake of not changing it the first time around and it took 5 hours to do the initial (quite small) set of updates. The Debian redirector is a much better choice.

First, thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.

As for repo selection, we choose repos on every live boot based on the selected language or time-zone. This is before the network is set up. You are free to use the Debian redirector if you choose but I don't think we should force its use on everyone for every live boot. It's a cost benefit trade off. The benefit from Debian redirector is greater but the cost is greater too. We chose good and fast over better and slower. Also, I doubt that Debian redirector is aware of the MX/antiX repos but maybe it could be reconfigured to deal with them as well.

If ftp.au.debian.org is generally slow, can you suggest a replacement we should use instead for locations in Australia and nearby?
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

amnesix
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#89 Postby amnesix » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:09 pm

Hi there,

I'm new here. I've installed my first MX (MX16) yesterday.

I'm basically happy with MX16.

Just one remark : by installation (from liveDVD), I can choose my language (keyboard), but not my language (system). French living in Germany but I keep my system on English. So I had to play with

Code: Select all

sudo  dpkg-reconfigure locales

It's not big deal, but I've already been installing several Debian-based distros where this what just solved by the installer.

I'm basically enjoying MX16. :)

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#90 Postby Jerry3904 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback--that's particularly useful because we intend to revise the Installer after things calm down.
Production: 4.13.0-1-amd64, MX-17, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.13.0-1-386. MX-17, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Return to “General”