Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.

News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17.1 Final release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
New users
  • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
  • Read Forum Rules

MX-16 Final feedback

verynicechap
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: MX-16 Final feedback

#121 Postby verynicechap » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:57 am

My thoughts: The USB live stuff from AntiX is fantastic and the Installer works great, far better than Debian (not that difficult). Hardware support is just fine, it works out of the box. The Welcome screen is also very helpful. The choice of software - one could always discuss certain choices - is state of the art, the only app I really tend to miss is Simple Scan. Shotwell as a photo app is okay but gPhoto is better, Clementine is great and VLC is a perfect piece of software. Obviously it is easy to install these apps. Also missing - but this is a problem with every modern OS - a text based browser for emergency purposes (e.g. Links2) should be included; to ship Midnight Commander is a great feature.
The codec installer is super and the same goes for the flash Installer. I had no problems with my Nvidia card as well.

XFCE as desktop of choice is of course possible. I will never become a too close friend with XFCE but is a great effort nevertheless, so I decided to install MATE which was no issue at all and it tends to feel snappier. The apps are very up to date, which is a nice feature, Debian Jessie is ageing in this regard but it is normal, since Stretch is in freeze.

To support two kernels (talking about the 64 bit version) the legacy default Jessie kernel and to include 4.7.x is a good idea. Personally, I installed the Liquorix kernel but I am aware that it can cause problems and I am not going to bother anyone (I use btrfs, so new(er) kernels tend to work better).

Memory consumption is still very good, it is still a lean distribution - obviously it is not AntiX. One thing I always find annoying (not an MX issue) is that these gufw guys do not seem to be capable to include a set of default firewall rules (as examples) which works for most people. Switching it on in your local LAN will almost certainly cause a major disruption, which shares and printers vanishing.

Talking about the tools: The tools to remaster the distro are really fantastic and that makes MX really unique (apart from the USB support and excellent repos). One thing I will always miss is a tool to manage and edit fstab (even after years of Linux experience, fstab causes me sleepless nights). A tool to remove old kernels (pretty good in Mint) would be also nice to have since synaptic is dangerous (powerful but not user friendly).

One suggestion would be to use the Debian unattended upgrades package by default in future distributions. I have just installed and configured it for security updates (default) so I will wait and see, if it is going to work.

Summary: If you want to work with Debian and not have to rely on the Ubuntu, Micro Focus or Redhat guys and their roadmaps, it is the best Linux OS money cannot buy. :number1:
MX-16, Liquorix kernel, E8400, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, MATE

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#122 Postby Jerry3904 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
the only app I really tend to miss is Simple Scan
We have Scan to PDF, which is a very good scanning app whether you use it for a PDF or not, and chose not to duplicate the function with Simple Scan. We made the same kind of decision with Passwords and Keys present so not including the redundant KeePaasX.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#123 Postby Jerry3904 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:48 am

asqwerth wrote:
richb wrote:
Shay2 wrote:May not know Jesse is the latest version.
I know I get all messed up at times.
Ahh yes. He may be referring to later versions in Debian Testing, unaware that our excellent packagers have brought many in.

If you look at MX's description of the MXPI here: https://mxlinux.org/one-click-extras-package-installer

there is no indication that the PI is anything more than a simpler way to get packages found in standard debian stable repos. Perhaps it should be made clearer that some items/entries in MXPI:

1. are packages brought in from Debian testing/sid and properly put together to work in Deb Jessie. These might therefore be even more up-to-date than currently found in Debian backports; or
2. might be packages not even found in Debian at all, e.g. applications originally made for Ubuntu distros, and packaged to work in MX, or
3. are pulled directly by MXPI from the developer's own website, e.g. Virtualbox, Google Chrome, for installation.

People will more likely read the "Features" page before trying this new distro, rather than plough through the whole Manual.
First of all, I resent the word "plough."
;) ;)
Second, the page you link to is an orphan, though the description we are using is nearly identical. I like your suggestion, and have incorporated it (check my link). Thanks.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

asqwerth
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#124 Postby asqwerth » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:13 pm

Cool. I like your changes.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Number3Pencils
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#125 Postby Number3Pencils » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:01 am

To piggyback off Aloysius's point about Hexchat - I've just installed Opera and it has similar UI color problems under the dark theme. Would it make sense to extend the Firefox dark theme tweak to Opera?

Also, dolphin_oracle, I don't see any explicitly noted Hexchat tweak on my MX Default Look after doing apt-get dist-upgrade. I'd let you know what version of mx-default-look I'm on, but when I click "About" it gives me a line that says "Version: " and then nothing.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#126 Postby dolphin_oracle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:04 am

Number3Pencils wrote:To piggyback off Aloysius's point about Hexchat - I've just installed Opera and it has similar UI color problems under the dark theme. Would it make sense to extend the Firefox dark theme tweak to Opera?

Also, dolphin_oracle, I don't see any explicitly noted Hexchat tweak on my MX Default Look after doing apt-get dist-upgrade. I'd let you know what version of mx-default-look I'm on, but when I click "About" it gives me a line that says "Version: " and then nothing.

ah, bug in the version code! I'll have to fix that.

in the meantime, apt-cache policy mx-defaultlook

Code: Select all

ademo@mx1:~
$ apt-cache policy mx-defaultlook
mx-defaultlook:
  Installed: 17.01.01mx16
  Candidate: 17.01.01mx16
  Version table:
 *** 17.01.01mx16 0
        500 http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ mx15/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     16.12.01mx16 0
        500 http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ mx16/main amd64 Packages
demo@mx1:~
$
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 17 32 bit (streaming media player)
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)

Number3Pencils
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#127 Postby Number3Pencils » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:14 am

$ apt-cache policy mx-defaultlook
mx-defaultlook:
  Installed: 16.12.01mx16
  Candidate: 16.12.01mx16
  Version table:
 *** 16.12.01mx16 0
        500 http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ mx16/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

But when I search for "defaultlook" in the Test Repo Installer, I get nothing.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#128 Postby dolphin_oracle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:18 am

its in the main repo, not in test-repo-installer.

I won't support opera in mx-defaultlook, since its not a default app. however, I did figure out how to override the dark theme in opera (which wasn't all that bad really, the websites I tried worked ok).

you cand do this:

env GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Bluebird/gtk-2.0/gtkrc opera

or in a desktop file

opera.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Opera
Comment=Theme override opera
Exec=env GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Bluebird/gtk-2.0/gtkrc opera
Icon=opera
Path=
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

You can put in ~/.local/share/applications and it wills how in your menu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
eeepc 904ha antix 17 32 bit (streaming media player)
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)

Number3Pencils
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#129 Postby Number3Pencils » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:38 am

Damn, that was an awesome answer... works perfectly.

What was bugging me about the dark theme was that text I typed in the Omnibar was unreadable, and so was the "Tab menu" dropdown.

Return to “General”