MX Distro for "not new" users

Redacted

Re: MX Distro for "not new" users

#11 Post by Redacted »

Richard wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 pm MX, like many other distros, is for new users, old users, expert users, intermediate users, developers, reviewers and distro hoppers. :)
Very well said. :thumbup:

lonesomepoint

#12 Post by lonesomepoint »

jakenn2008 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:00 pm But I got the feeling that they feel that once new users become more experienced running Linux on MX, they should be moving on to something else.
I want to keep in mind that your suspicion of them may or may not be true; but if it is, such a feeling on their part--that experience demands you should progress to a more challenging distro--is probably (if not definitely) snobbery and elitism on their part. I do not require my distro to challenge me. I require only that it work--and that it not hold certain policies or mannerisms that leave me feeling patronized and/or demeaned. (I thought about also demanding the cushioned luxury of soft Corinthian leather, but I probably can't get it.) As for demanding only that the distro work: that's easy, I grant, because I've never actually seen a Linux distro that didn't work.

jakenn2008

#13 Post by jakenn2008 »

Thanks to all that have responded. I got exactly what I had hoped others would say. At times I felt that the experienced users moved on to Arch, but that's too cutting edge for me. Having been a long time Mint user, I was excited when I discovered MX-17 and started following dolphin_oracle's videos and blogs. I need to spend more time with MX-18 by putting it on my main computer so I can learn about all those extras I see in the menus and all the MX-tweaks/programs. Thanks everyone, especially d_o.
John

Linux:
Because a computer should work for you.
Not against you.

KBD

#14 Post by KBD »

Good mix of old timers and newbies here. MX is for everyone :)

manyroads

#15 Post by manyroads »

jakenn2008 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:00 pm Thanks to all that have responded. I got exactly what I had hoped others would say. At times I felt that the experienced users moved on to Arch, but that's too cutting edge for me. Having been a long time Mint user, I was excited when I discovered MX-17 and started following dolphin_oracle's videos and blogs. I need to spend more time with MX-18 by putting it on my main computer so I can learn about all those extras I see in the menus and all the MX-tweaks/programs. Thanks everyone, especially d_o.
There are number of us who have been to arch and are now here ... by choice. This is a unique, welcoming, and caring community. But that's just one old guy's opinion. :lipsrsealed:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Richard

#16 Post by Richard »

Yes, arch, Manjaro and others of that branch are good learning experiences.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

azrielle

#17 Post by azrielle »

I use...AntiX when I feel a need to get "down and dirty" with Linux. It never disappoints! There's no need to go to Arch. And, if I get bored with AntiX, there's always Salix, which is based on Slackware. The ORIGINAL distro.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

dphn

#18 Post by dphn »

Arch Linux have a really good wiki, but the maintainers are a only a packaging team. They didn't create user friendly tools or own apps provided by the devs but they describe every point of installation-process and the user must read and learn. This is KISS. Of course, it's a hard work to create a bleeding edge system that runs with all the actually stuff.

Arch is a base system, users can do what they want from ground up. Debian itself is also a base system and a new base system is Solus OS. Base systems are built from scratch.

Ubuntu, Manjaro, Mint and MX are "customizers" of an available base and provide userfriendly extra tools. So MX Linux and Arch are not comparable.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

Mauser

#19 Post by Mauser »

:confused: I must be in a different dimension because my experience with a certain distro and forum was the complete opposite of all you. Sometimes I come across people on the Internet that are in my dimension who have had similar experiences with it as I. I guess MX Linux is the same no matter which dimension you are in because we all have similar experiences with it. MX Linux is the interdimensional distro. :smiley:
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

seaken64

#20 Post by seaken64 »

I agree with a lot of this thread. MX is for everyone and I've been hooked on it for a couple of years now. But I see things from a slightly different perspective than many of my fellow MX users. I separate my use of computer operating systems and software into my personal choices and my business choices. I prefer linux for most of my own computers (the only exceptions being the systems I use for watching cable TV). But I have tried to implement Linux on my business computers and so far have failed every time. Even MX Linux is not getting it done.

My users are not computer savvy, at all. If something does not look EXACTLY like they are used to they can't use the computer. That's deadly for me. I need my people to be productive and I can't have them sitting there waiting for me to show them how to use their terminal. Also, we use some windows only software (a database program mainly) and I have not figured out how to use these programs in Linux. So far, i have had the most success with Windows in the business.

I agree that MX is good for new linux users and I suggest it to people who are at least curious about how a computer works. But most of the users that I support cannot grasp it. It doesn't matter if it's MX, antiX, or Ununtu, whatever. The computer screen has to look and act EXACTLY like the windows computers we have been using. Even the upgrade from XP to Windows 10 was a nightmare. We've finally got it sorted out but, man!

People like me are not afraid of digging in and figuring out what the he** is going on. I have found MX and antiX to be much easier to figure out than Slackware and Vector, which I really enjoyed until I could no longer figure out how to install the software I wanted to use. For me, Debian became my savior for finding and installing software, and antiX and MX made it easier for me to implement Debian on my older computers. And I would say it is NOT necessary to move on to anything else, unless you just like learning something new. But even MX will not turn a complete computer illiterate into a linux user unless they had already been using some linux system set up by some IT department at work.

Seaken64
Last edited by seaken64 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

Return to “General”