Compiz

MAYBL8
MX Packager

Compiz

#1 Post by MAYBL8 »

Anyone here using Compiz?
I would like to know what features and options are being used.
Looking to spruce up my Desktop with it.
Thanks

manyroads

Re: Compiz

#2 Post by manyroads »

You must have a lot of unused (extra) cpu cycles.... :eek: :number1:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

asqwerth
Developer

#3 Post by asqwerth »

I install Compiz from MX Package INstaller >> Popular Apps.

I mainly use it for the hot corner+windows overview function, plus a bit of wobbly windows.

I don't think it takes up much CPU or GPU resources. Pre-2015 I was running Compiz on my old 1GB RAM Pentium 4 computer, that had a weak ATI Radeon card.

THe card couldn't run Gnome3, Unity or CInnamon due to their mandatory need for graphics (3D) acceleration for normal window management, but COmpiz was completely fine on it.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

asqwerth wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:16 am I install Compiz from MX Package INstaller >> Popular Apps.

I mainly use it for the hot corner+windows overview function, plus a bit of wobbly windows.

I don't think it takes up much CPU or GPU resources. Pre-2015 I was running Compiz on my old 1GB RAM Pentium 4 computer, that had a weak ATI Radeon card.

THe card couldn't run Gnome3, Unity or CInnamon due to their mandatory need for graphics (3D) acceleration for normal window management, but COmpiz was completely fine on it.
@asqerth is right, ignore my sarcasm. :bagoverhead: My excuse is, I have been playing around with antiX too much. I am completely focused on making nice eye-candy work using next to zero resources. It can be done but the wobbly windows are out of my equation. :needcoffee:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb »

On my system compiz averages 0.7% CPU. With corner overview functions, which is about all I use, (except for brightness adjustments with edge mouse clicks). it jumps to about 5 % CPU and quickly jumps back to about 0.6%
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

We actually have compiz-reloaded, the updated & nicer 0.8 series, and that's what Debian Buster has now in its repo instead of the 0.9 series.

MAYBL8
MX Packager

#7 Post by MAYBL8 »

So what selections do you use from the settings? Such as the Effects Section or other settings?

richb
Administrator

#8 Post by richb »

I do not use effects at all, leaving the defaults. I set the corners for Expo Edge, Initiate Window picker for all windows and Show Desktop. I also use Set Brightness actuated by moving the mouse to the top of the screen and define left button push as Increase brightness and center scroll wheel push as decrease brightness. That is it.
The sentiment that Compiz is only about bling I believe is fallacious. There are useful functions that enhance the ease of use of the desktop. Certainly there are other ways to accomplish these functions. But I find them easier having them in one app and quickly accessed.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”