Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Can no longer download Firefox add-ons...

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Can no longer download Firefox add-ons...

#11 Post by JayM »

mxer wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:33 am The Issue is fixed in FF 66.0.4

(Running live, you will likely need to remaster after upgrading.)

P.S. I just spent the weekend looking at other options, but most are just using older code, which means, likely to be even less secure - only real choice is FF or Chromium.
Or Palemoon, or Midori, or Google Chrome, or Netsurf, or Opera. or Qupzilla, or Slimjet...

Just because a browser is based on older Mozilla code like Palemoon is doesn't mean that it isn't being actively maintained and being kept secure.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

devva231

#12 Post by devva231 »

devva231 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:27 pm
jackdanielsesq wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 am Try this - it works ...

Jack
jackdanielsesq wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:23 am Installed the old FF-Quantum-60.6.2esr, I believe it is called, with the new certificate nonsense sorted
Fresh from Debian, via Synaptic - reload is mandatory - it works as advertised, without the b/k
Still use Waterfox as my main browser [no b/d] - love choices, will simply alternate

Regards

Jack
I have not been a fan of Firefox for many years, and if I have to go through all this crapola to use it, I'd rather just give the Mozilla Mothership the Big Bird, and put that effort into another browser. Can you walk a Linux newbie through the step-by-step on how to get Waterfox or Slimjet working? As said, I'm currently using MX Linux 17.1, in LiveCD mode.
Update: Thanks for mentioning Waterfox! After a lot of trial and error I got it 'installed' and working. I can now get the addons without any 'download failed' blather. So far as I can tell, this nonsense is Mozilla maneuvering to force upgrade to their 'latest' crappy version (no upgrade? no addons for you!). Still not figured out how to get Slimjet, but maybe someone will walk me through it. If not, I got one decent browser, and that is all I really need, so thanks for the Waterfox tip. Once I get MX Linux installed on my secondary HDD, I'll have to come back here to ask how to delete, uninstall & otherwise nuke Firefox out of the OS forevermore, but that bridge crossing can wait for another day.

turtlebay777

#13 Post by turtlebay777 »

devva231 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:00 pm

Update: Thanks for mentioning Waterfox! After a lot of trial and error I got it 'installed' and working. I can now get the addons without any 'download failed' blather. So far as I can tell, this nonsense is Mozilla maneuvering to force upgrade to their 'latest' crappy version (no upgrade? no addons for you!). Still not figured out how to get Slimjet, but maybe someone will walk me through it. If not, I got one decent browser, and that is all I really need, so thanks for the Waterfox tip. Once I get MX Linux installed on my secondary HDD, I'll have to come back here to ask how to delete, uninstall & otherwise nuke Firefox out of the OS forevermore, but that bridge crossing can wait for another day.
Simply open MX Package Installer and look for Firefox in the 'browser' section, click on it and hit uninstall. Done!

Don't forget to save your bookmarks first by opening Firefox, go to Bookmarks and click 'show all bookmarks' / Import and Backup /Import all bookmarks from HTML, and save to your desktop or wherever is most convenient.

devva231

#14 Post by devva231 »

turtlebay777 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:14 pm
devva231 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:00 pm

Simply open MX Package Installer and look for Firefox in the 'browser' section, click on it and hit uninstall. Done!

Don't forget to save your bookmarks first by opening Firefox, go to Bookmarks and click 'show all bookmarks' / Import and Backup /Import all bookmarks from HTML, and save to your desktop or wherever is most convenient.
Thanks for the tip. Does this really eliminate Firefox, or is it another game of 'let's play pretend' (like with my XP Pro), where the OS claims to have nuked the target, but really only hides it from my view?

So far as I know, bookmarks aren't saved in LiveCD mode, so there wouldn't be any when I'm ready to actually install MX Linux to HDD. As of yesterday, I only use Firefox now to get to Google, to get to the Waterfox site, and then download. Once Waterfox is functional, and I have the necessary addons, Firefox is ignored. I'm quite elated that I can finally give Firefox/Mozilla the eviction notice. XP Pro has been Firefox-free (other than derivatives like Mypal, IceDragon, Centaury, etc.) for about a year.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”