Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Can no longer download Firefox add-ons...

devva231

Can no longer download Firefox add-ons...

#1 Post by devva231 »

Been using MX Linux 17.1 as LiveCD for year or two now. Each time I go to this site:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -ultimate/

to download Popup Blocker Ultimate, and Incognito Adblocker....until couple days ago. Now I get the popup message:

"Download failed. Please check your connection."

Any idea what changed, or how to download these addons? How does one check the connection? Troubleshooting?

Fast-Game

Re: Can no longer download Firefox add-ons...

#2 Post by Fast-Game »

Mauser

#3 Post by Mauser »

devva231 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:18 pm Been using MX Linux 17.1 as LiveCD for year or two now. Each time I go to this site:

to download Popup Blocker Ultimate, and Incognito Adblocker....until couple days ago. Now I get the popup message:

Any idea what changed, or how to download these addons? How does one check the connection? Troubleshooting?
Look at post #31 on this thread which shows you how to correct that issue. viewtopic.php?f=94&t=50081&start=30
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

devva231

#4 Post by devva231 »

Fast-Game wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:40 pm viewtopic.php?f=94&t=50081
Nope same thing:

devva231

#5 Post by devva231 »

Mauser wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:43 pm
devva231 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:18 pm Been using MX Linux 17.1 as LiveCD for year or two now. Each time I go to this site:

Look at post #31 on this thread which shows you how to correct that issue. viewtopic.php?f=94&t=50081&start=30
I'm not seeing any app.normandy.run, nor is the search box finding it.

Mauser

#6 Post by Mauser »

devva231 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:52 am

You have a bad incomplete copy of Firefox if it's not in about:config when you type in the address bar. You will need to re-install Firefox and then go through those steps. Are you sure you typed about:config in the address bar in Firefox?
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

jackdanielsesq

#7 Post by jackdanielsesq »

Try this - it works ...

Jack
jackdanielsesq wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:23 am Installed the old FF-Quantum-60.6.2esr, I believe it is called, with the new certificate nonsense sorted
Fresh from Debian, via Synaptic - reload is mandatory - it works as advertised, without the b/k
Still use Waterfox as my main browser [no b/d] - love choices, will simply alternate

Regards

Jack

devva231

#8 Post by devva231 »

Mauser wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:57 am
devva231 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:52 am

You have a bad incomplete copy of Firefox if it's not in about:config when you type in the address bar. You will need to re-install Firefox and then go through those steps. Are you sure you typed about:config in the address bar in Firefox?
Okay, so this is the same Firefox that came with MX Linux 17.1, which I have been using almost daily as a LiveCD for a year or two, each time going to the same site (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -ultimate/) to download the two addons that make Firefox tolerable. What changed? No idea. Supposedly nothing can alter a LiveCD, yet now I'm getting changes up the kazoo. Aside from the worst one "Download failed. Please check your connection.", I get a nag screen from the screensaver, and one from Firefox wanting me to upgrade....plus after about 15 minutes of use, my HDD (or possibly the DVD-ROM) starts whirling into hyperdrive, and continues for some time. None of these are what I would consider good omens. But enough whining, and on to what I tried.

Went for the Firefox upgrade, only to be told that my copy is up to date, but wouldn't I love to sync with their sugardaddy Mr. Google, or Facebook or something similar? Aborted that bait'n'switch. Tried basic upgrade of MX Linux. No change. Tried full upgrade (took forever), still no change. Tried about:config. As said, I could not find any mention of app.normandy.run, nor did the search box at the upper left find it. I've ordered the current DVD of MX Linux 18.2 from OSDisc.com, to see if the same problem persists.

Until then, I'll need some help test driving new browsers. Tried to download Slimjet, but it failed, so guess I need some step-by-step directions. And yes, I'm aware that browser download to a LiveCD will only last til I end the session. Doesn't matter. Without those two addons, Firefox is worse than useless, and since I am using LiveCD mostly for online shopping and banking, I require a decent browser.

devva231

#9 Post by devva231 »

jackdanielsesq wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 am Try this - it works ...

Jack
jackdanielsesq wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:23 am Installed the old FF-Quantum-60.6.2esr, I believe it is called, with the new certificate nonsense sorted
Fresh from Debian, via Synaptic - reload is mandatory - it works as advertised, without the b/k
Still use Waterfox as my main browser [no b/d] - love choices, will simply alternate

Regards

Jack
I have not been a fan of Firefox for many years, and if I have to go through all this crapola to use it, I'd rather just give the Mozilla Mothership the Big Bird, and put that effort into another browser. Can you walk a Linux newbie through the step-by-step on how to get Waterfox or Slimjet working? As said, I'm currently using MX Linux 17.1, in LiveCD mode.

mxer

#10 Post by mxer »

The Issue is fixed in FF 66.0.4

(Running live, you will likely need to remaster after upgrading.)

P.S. I just spent the weekend looking at other options, but most are just using older code, which means, likely to be even less secure - only real choice is FF or Chromium.
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”