Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

MX Linux 18 Laptop Computer Hung Up With Black Screen

Falcon

MX Linux 18 Laptop Computer Hung Up With Black Screen

#1 Post by Falcon »

Hi,

I'm new to MX Linux and I posted a question about printer installation in the Hardware forum using my desktop computer. I left the laptop that I just installed MX Linux on a short time ago running until I got an answer to my question. This took a couple of hours, and when I got the answer, I went back to the laptop and found that the screen was black. That's most likely because the screen shuts off to save battery power. I tapped the touchpad but nothing happened. In the past when the computer had Windows 7 installed if this occurred, I only had to press the ESC key and the computer would come back to life. That didn't work this time, nor did any other keystrokes. Is there a particular key combination that would normally be used to poke the OS and get it running again? I was logged in as an administrator so I'm afraid to force a power off.

Thanks...!!!

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: MX Linux 18 Laptop Computer Hung Up With Black Screen

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

I press the power button for a second when that happens.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Falcon

#3 Post by Falcon »

I gave the power button a try but that didn't work. Any other ideas?

Falcon

#4 Post by Falcon »

Well, after going through all of the options in the Manual to try to get the OS back, I finally bit the bullet and pressed and held the Power button until the computer turned off. When I powered back up, everything seemed to be okay.

On another note, how is the computer normally brought out of Suspend mode or Hibernate mode?

Gordon Cooper

#5 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Have you looked the MX User Manual? Try Section 2.4.6
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Pierre

#6 Post by Pierre »

Normally - you would just 'pres any key', but sometimes, that doesn't work.

so - you then press the power for for 2-3s, but no longer:
- any more, like 5-6s will power-off that machine.

it's an Tricky one, for sure, but don't compare it to any Windows Scenario, though,
- even though it's an similar situation, in hand.
that Windows System is an highly customized environment,
& where-as the Linux System is just plain vanilla, & the result(s) are Not the same Thing.

Falcon

#7 Post by Falcon »

Thanks for the help guys. After trying to solve this problem using ideas from the manual, I just forced a power off as described above. Everything seemed to be okay when I powered up again. I'm wondering if the computer went into Hibernate mode, rather than Suspend mode, since it seemed that the OS wasn't damaged like the manual said that it could be from a forced shutdown. The first thing that I did was to go into the Power Management feature and it looked like the Suspend and Hibernate settings were set to NEVER, so I don't know why the computer went into one of these states in the first place.

I just started to read and follow the manual from page 1, so I hadn't gotten to the section on Power Management when I ran into this. MX Linux boots up so quickly that there really isn't any need for me to use the Suspend or Hibernate modes, anyway.

jackdanielsesq

#8 Post by jackdanielsesq »

Use 'suspend' - it simply works - any key tap wakes it up

Jack

ckoul

#9 Post by ckoul »

If this happens again, try to enter your password and hit 'Enter' without seeing anything on-screen.

If you didn't try to wake up the screen by using a dead-key (eg Shift or Control) and instead used a character key, type on the keyboard Control-U just to clear the (non-visible) password field.

You can try the above at any time by manually suspending the computer through the shutdown menu.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”