Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Release details for Xfce-14.4

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Release details for Xfce-14.4

#11 Post by Jerry3904 »

It should upgrade through the standard process, but we can't know for sure until we've had a chance to test it. One we know, be you'll know.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

beardedragon

#12 Post by beardedragon »

Jerry3904 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:24 pm It should upgrade through the standard process, but we can't know for sure until we've had a chance to test it. One we know, you'll know.
Thanks, new to MX and AntiX.
Rule #1 Backup Everything
Rule #2 Read Rule #1

dreamer

Re: Release details for Xfce 4.14

#13 Post by dreamer »

I'm writing this from Xubuntu 19.04 which I guess is sort of a preview/showcase for Xfce 4.14 since Xubuntu lead dev is also a main contributor to Xfce.

I left MATE because of GTK3. And looking at this I get kind of the same feeling. Why would I use this instead of Xfce 4.12? Everything looks less polished. Yes, it's mostly theme issues. There is added functionality, but also missing functionality compared to Xfce 4.12.

I think the devs worked hard and they have succeeded porting Xfce to GTK3. For me as a user I see it as a regression mostly. Maybe I'm harsh, but I left MATE for this reason.

Xfce 4.12 (the version we are using now) will be in Debian Buster and can be installed on antiX. I think that's the path I will take after Stretch. And after Buster maybe LXQT. GTK3 just isn't my cup of tea. That's the lesson I got from Xubuntu 19.04. It's not the Xfce devs, it's the toolkit.

Would be interesting to hear the opinion of someone who has tried the GTK3 version of Xfce. There were mixed feelings when MATE became GTK3. Some people left, other people were happy to see MATE become a "modern" desktop.

manyroads

Re: Release details for Xfce 4.14

#14 Post by manyroads »

dreamer wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:49 pm [...]
Would be interesting to hear the opinion of someone who has tried the GTK3 version of Xfce. There were mixed feelings when MATE became GTK3. Some people left, other people were happy to see MATE become a "modern" desktop.
I have to say that my forays into GTK3 with xfce were largely non-events. I ran it for a year plus on manjaro. I liked what I had. It was hard to see much difference between it and the Gtk2 base Xfce on manjaro and the Gtk2 base here. In a couple of years Gtk3 will be replaced by Gtk4.... or something else. Time just does not stand still... the base toolkit will evolve no matter what.

If 45+ years of software work tells me anything, it is that software changes.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

KBD

#15 Post by KBD »

beardedragon wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:13 pm Will it upgrade or do we have to install it? I have both MX and AntiX with Xfce.
Hopefully it will end up in MX 19, but that will be up to the Devs. For the current release it would have to go into testing repo or something, not regular updates. Again, up to the Devs.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”