[RESOLVED] XFCE Menu Frustrations

dreamer

Re: [RESOLVED] XFCE Menu Frustrations

#11 Post by dreamer »

Stevo wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:14 pm I assumed that since if it works with GTK 3 GNOME 3, it would work with other GTK 3 desktops...unless it's just left over from GNOME 2.
It's from the glory days of Gnome 2. Last updated in 2009.

remoteone

#12 Post by remoteone »

So how exactly does one remove a category from the MX menu?
For example "Games" . Cant do it in MX Menu Editor.

EDIT: Just worked it out, need to hide each app listed under "Games"rather than delete the Games Category.
Last edited by remoteone on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

glitchdot

#13 Post by glitchdot »

1.If you uninstall all games, it will be automatically removed.
2.With MX menu editor you can remove it, with removing Game Category of each application in Games.
3.The other way is to remove all games .desktop files from ~/.local/share/applications/

elementaryOX

#14 Post by elementaryOX »

:confused: I managed it!!
Also !!!??? Jerry3904 wrote a little help in wiki about Xfce menus on May, 2018. It was great help - but there is a BUG :-)
Create the ~/.local/share/desktop-directories/Multimedia-Editors.desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Directory
Name=Multimedia-Editors
Icon=applications-internet
Create the ~/.local/share/desktop-directories/Multimedia-Editors.directory should it be, don't it.?

I tried there to leave a comment. But got the error:
Access Denied - https://mxlinux.org/wp-comments-post.php

So I leave it here for Jerry.
After two days of trying: It is simple, if you have the right information about the used files.

Good Luck :-)

elementaryOX

#15 Post by elementaryOX »

A little more information:
I have installed lots of Programs for Audio/Music)Studio and some for Video. So the submenu Multimedia got too full. So decided to have two more Submenus. One for Audiostudio and one more for Video. This decision took me much time of searching the incorporated files.
Finally two links helped: https://wiki.xfce.org/howto:customize-menu and https://mxlinux.org/wiki/xfce/xfce-menus/ (with the puzzling BUG of .desktop versus .directory file)
AND YEAHH Kernel

Code: Select all

5.4.0-13.3-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 is running!
CPU:       Topology: 8-Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 
           family: 17 (23) model-id: 71 (113) stepping: N/A microcode: 8701011 
           L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm 
           bogomips: 114983 
           Speed: 4118 MHz min/max: 2200/3600 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz): 1: 4118 
           2: 3811 3: 3573 4: 4103 5: 3383 6: 3582 7: 3688 8: 4112 9: 3980 10: 4064 11: 3518 
           12: 3479 13: 3634 14: 4106 15: 4094 16: 3893 
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480] vendor: Sapphire Limited driver: amdgpu 
           v: kernel bus ID: 09:00.0 chip ID: 1002:67df 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 

Thanks guys!

Only QJackCtl is a fastidious princess!! Thats not your fault.

nathan2423

#16 Post by nathan2423 »

I have been thinking about this thread all day because it mirrors my own frustrations with the XFCE menuing system. I do like the "look" of the whisker menu, and I consider it to be the main reason I have not already switched to LXQT, or dropped back to the simpler systems such as used in Antix.

But I cannot justify asking my users to accept the inability to tweak the menu without such gymnastics. My personal menu has been plagued with redundant entries for years and I have just ignored it. I long ago gave up playing with alacarte and the menu editor and trying to customize it as I would like, because if I can't get it to work I certainly can't expect my users to do so.

However in my case rather than go to mate or cinnamon I think I am going to go to kde and try to tweak it to run with as little resource drain as possible. I have a series of computers in the 5-10 year old range that all run perfectly well, but most have a max of 4gb f ram and I don't want to eat up 1gb+ of ram on the desktop unnecessarily, especially since we've been reading for months (or longer) that base kde was almost as light as xfce. In addition, I was reading an article (I think at OMGUBUNTU) about how xfce is moving more into client side decorations of the gnome style, and any movement in a gnome philosophy direction, combined with the glacial speed of development, just doesn't seem like the way forward to me. This isn't a matter of lack of programming resources at xfce apparently, it's a matter of goals and targets, and lack of change just because it doesn't introduce new errors is not an argument for staying with xfce. At least LXQT seems to be moving forward, and has a target that seems more to my liking than xfce's.

If LXDE had a whisker equivalent I would already be there in a heartbeat, but for the present I'll see how light I can get kde to run. I think it probably would make sense for me or someone to set up a separate thread about how to get kde to run as light as possible, but if anyone knows of one already, or a good set of resources toward that goal, I would appreciate hearing of it. I know we had a thread I was involved in about how to use dolphin in MX, but now I'm talking about just making KDE in general run as light as possible while also using kwin and the kde panel etc.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”