Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Why XFCE?

diapanos

Re: Why XFCE?

#81 Post by diapanos »

XFCE just works.
It's the least buggy and one of the least buggy DE's in my experience.
ASUS AREZ Strix Radeon RX Vega 56 AREZ
AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz
G.SKILL Flare X (for AMD) 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4
MSI ARSENAL GAMING B450 TOMAHAWK AM4 AMD B450
SanDisk - Ultra 512GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive

Cavsfan

#82 Post by Cavsfan »

The top and bottom panels do not appear most of the time during initial boot up whether I've booted systemd or not. I clicked on the top and then both panels appeared and everything was normal after that.
It did when I booted just now using systemd. But, since most Linux disros are using systemd as default. I will do away with the 2 grub menuentries and just let it default to systemd.

Arch Linux, Fedora 30 and openSUSE TW all boot systemd as default.

I've seen this panel issue many, many times as all of my systems use the Xfce panels. It seems that it is always the Debian based distros that do this.
Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki for Legacy/MBR and UEFI/GPT systems
Intel Core i7-4770K, Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z87-K, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16GB RAM, 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD, 480GB OCZ VERTEX460 SSD

dreamer

#83 Post by dreamer »

Cavsfan wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:40 pm The top and bottom panels do not appear most of the time during initial boot up whether I've booted systemd or not. I clicked on the top and then both panels appeared and everything was normal after that.
It did when I booted just now using systemd. But, since most Linux disros are using systemd as default. I will do away with the 2 grub menuentries and just let it default to systemd.

I've seen this panel issue many, many times as all of my systems use the Xfce panels. It seems that it is always the Debian based distros that do this.
I have never seen this panel issue in Xfce. I boot MX Linux (sysvinit) and occasionally Xubuntu (systemd). You can open your boot log from MX Boot Options and paste it in a new thread. Maybe your panel problem can be solved.

Cavsfan

#84 Post by Cavsfan »

dreamer wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:08 pm
Cavsfan wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:40 pm The top and bottom panels do not appear most of the time during initial boot up whether I've booted systemd or not. I clicked on the top and then both panels appeared and everything was normal after that.

I have never seen this panel issue in Xfce. I boot MX Linux (sysvinit) and occasionally Xubuntu (systemd). You can open your boot log from MX Boot Options and paste it in a new thread. Maybe your panel problem can be solved.
I booted into MX and the panels were missing, I clicked on the top where they should be and they appeared. I've seen this so many times on so many different systems, it's not worth the effort to fix it.
That log contains this:

Code: Select all

rootMX18.1: clean, 355016/3276800 files, 2873540/13107200 blocks
INIT: version 2.88 booting
[info] Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel S.
[....] Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: systemd-udevdstarting version 232
. ok 
[ ok ] Synthesizing the initial hotplug events...done.
[ ok ] Waiting for /dev to be fully populated...done.
[ ok ] Setting up keyboard layout...done.
Press any key to close
Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki for Legacy/MBR and UEFI/GPT systems
Intel Core i7-4770K, Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z87-K, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16GB RAM, 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD, 480GB OCZ VERTEX460 SSD

Jerry3904
Administrator

#85 Post by Jerry3904 »

"on the top where they should be" -- in MX the single panel is on the left edge by default. Did you move it? If yes, how?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

manyroads

#86 Post by manyroads »

Cavsfan wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:32 am [...]
I booted into MX and the panels were missing, I clicked on the top where they should be and they appeared. I've seen this so many times on so many different systems, it's not worth the effort to fix it.
[...]
Please explain why you believe "where they should be" is "on the top". Did you (like I do) move the panel? If you really mean "they" you must have created a second and/or more panel(s). Did you set them to hide or similar?
Did you make certain on your LightDM Greeter screen, that you are actually signing in to xfce... not some other desktop or a non-desktop environment?
Are you able to provide a screenshot of what you see?

Just some thoughts. I try not to have very many of those, thoughts. I'm pretty certain I'm over quota for today. :lipsrsealed:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Cavsfan

#87 Post by Cavsfan »

manyroads wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 pm
Cavsfan wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:32 am [...]
[...]
Please explain why you believe "where they should be" is "on the top". Did you (like I do) move the panel? If you really mean "they" you must have created a second and/or more panel(s). Did you set them to hide or similar?
Did you make certain on your LightDM Greeter screen, that you are actually signing in to xfce... not some other desktop or a non-desktop environment?
Are you able to provide a screenshot of what you see?

Just some thoughts. I try not to have very many of those, thoughts. I'm pretty certain I'm over quota for today. :lipsrsealed:
Yes, I moved them immediately after I installed them. I wanted 2 standard Xfce panels, which are on Arch Linux, openSUSE, Fedora 30 and every other distro I can think of.
The MX Linux panel, when moved to the top, came totally backwards from what I consider standard - e.g. what every other Linux system's Xfce panel looks like. I am also sure I booted into an Xfce session.

Login, restart, suspend, etc, Date/Time and Workplace Switcher should be at the top right. The Application menu should be at the top left. I have a custom date/time set to %A - %B %d, %Y - %I:%M %p (probably most suitable to Americans).
Some systems ask you when you boot into the system for the 1st time if you would like the default panels and if I get that option, I love it and take it every time.

The default that they mean has a panel at the top (as I just described) and a panel for the bottom.
It by default contains the following in the left side:
  • Show Desktop
  • Terminal Emulator (Xfce terminal)
  • File Manager (Thunar)
  • Web Browser
  • Application Finder
If it does not contain those, I add them. It takes a little effort but, what doesn't? Set it and forget it.

I will add things I want to be there like Nvidia Server Settings and if Thunar cannot be made to show the Catfish File Search on the side bar, I'll put Catfish there as well.
At the top I added Visual Studio Code to have easy access to that.

If you thought the MX panel default was standard across all distros that boot Xfce, you would be mistaken.

Here is a screenshot of my current MX setup and I could show you the exact same panels in several other distros that come with a top panel and optionally a bottom panel.
I've got a 4K 3840x2160 monitor, I can afford the 40 pixel high panel at the top and the same at the bottom. :wink:

Here is my Arch Linux Xfce desktop:

Cavsfan

#88 Post by Cavsfan »

Jerry3904 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:35 am "on the top where they should be" -- in MX the single panel is on the left edge by default. Did you move it? If yes, how?
Sorry, I didn't notice your question!
I believe I right clicked on it and then clicked on horizontal. If it didn't automatically go to the top, I hold the left mouse button down while "grabbing" the panel and putting it on the top and then let go of the mouse.

As far as the items, you can right click on most things and then click on move. Because when you add something it defaults to the left and you have to move it to where you actually want it.
The exception is the grouped icons, Fusion Icon, Network Icon, Volume, Power, etc.

richb
Administrator

#89 Post by richb »

II you use MX Tweak, Display panel horizontally and choose top the orientation of the icons will be as you prefer. As far as where the panel should be, MX chooses to put the panel on the left edge. Who is to say it should not be there. It was the choice of the developers and is easily changed with MX Tweak.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

asqwerth
Developer

#90 Post by asqwerth »

Cavsfan wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:04 pm
Jerry3904 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:35 am "on the top where they should be" -- in MX the single panel is on the left edge by default. Did you move it? If yes, how?
Sorry, I didn't notice your question!
I believe I right clicked on it and then clicked on horizontal. If it didn't automatically go to the top, I hold the left mouse button down while "grabbing" the panel and putting it on the top and then let go of the mouse.

As far as the items, you can right click on most things and then click on move. Because when you add something it defaults to the left and you have to move it to where you actually want it.
The exception is the grouped icons, Fusion Icon, Network Icon, Volume, Power, etc.
That's why the items on it are reversed. If you used MX Tweak to move the vertical panel up, the items are all arranged the "normal" way for a horizontal panel, from left to right.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”