Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Why XFCE?

sg-1

Re: Why XFCE?

#71 Post by sg-1 »

A complete operating system for internet only? Never let your guard down, an antivirus is always useful.

manyroads

#72 Post by manyroads »

If you were using a complete OS only for browsing then why would you ever consider anything other than Tails????

https://tails.boum.org/
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

denis12

#73 Post by denis12 »

manyroads wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:28 am If you were using a complete OS only for browsing then why would you ever consider anything other than Tails????

https://tails.boum.org/
I don't need secure Tor network. I just need faster OS. Exactly I need faster internet browsing.

Richard

#74 Post by Richard »

Then you could try antiX with Fluxbox,
which will give you maximum resources
for browsing or anything else desired.

No Xfce, no Kde, only Fluxbox and a browser.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

denis12

#75 Post by denis12 »

Richard wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:33 pm Then you could try antiX with Fluxbox,
which will give you maximum resources
for browsing or anything else desired.

No Xfce, no Kde, only Fluxbox and a browser.
Are you kidding? I`m not computer geek for using terminal. And not sure if it will be faster.

manyroads

#76 Post by manyroads »

denis12 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:12 pm Are you kidding? I`m not computer geek for using terminal. And not sure if it will be faster.
I think you should move your issue into a separate thread. You seem to be off topic.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Cavsfan

#77 Post by Cavsfan »

Jerry3904 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:11 pm Funny, in five years with MX I've never seen that panel problem. You might think of starting a new thread dedicated to this, including the output of Quick System Info.
It happens to me once in a while on Ubuntu and most Debian based systems I have used. I believe when I installed MX it put the (single) panel on the left. I moved it to the top and created a bottom panel.
On many systems, just after you install and boot up, if you switch the session to a Xfce session the very first time you login, it asks if you want to create the default (2) panels, one for the top and one at the bottom pre-configured with show desktop, web browser, and a couple of other items.
Today it did not have any problem with the panels but the conkys wanted to display over top of everything so I logged out and back in and everything was good to go.
dreamer wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:07 pm
Cavsfan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:00 pm The ONLY downfall I see to MX is that, like all Debian based distros, while booting up sometimes the panels do not appear and you have to logoff or reboot if logging off is not an option to get the panel(s) to show but, it's not that big of a problem.
Are you booting MX Linux with systemd?
No, I wasn't as a matter of fact. When I customized the EFI grub I overlooked the option to boot using systemd. But, I've added it and will see what happens.
Here is what I now have for MX: (although my grub is on Arch)

Code: Select all

menuentry 'MX 18.1 Continuum' {
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1cb06a9e-c0dd-467a-bef5-2ad3d1b0e494
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz root=UUID=1cb06a9e-c0dd-467a-bef5-2ad3d1b0e494 ro quiet resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/b564ed75-b9ee-410f-9f87-04afc30a0ff4 splash
        initrd  /boot/initrd
}
menuentry 'MX 18.1 Continuum (systemd)' {
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz root=UUID=1cb06a9e-c0dd-467a-bef5-2ad3d1b0e494 ro quiet resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/b564ed75-b9ee-410f-9f87-04afc30a0ff4 splash init=/lib/systemd/systemd
        initrd  /boot/initrd
}
Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki for Legacy/MBR and UEFI/GPT systems
Intel Core i7-4770K, Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z87-K, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16GB RAM, 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD, 480GB OCZ VERTEX460 SSD

Cavsfan

#78 Post by Cavsfan »

Booted with systemd and panels were fine. Conkys were a tad messed up so a logout/login solved that. The 7 conkys are from Conkywx, I test for a guy that programs the conkys, weather info and all of it in Arch Linux.
Initially he used one website weather source and we know now what happens when the website decides to change something... It blows the conkys up or rather does not display the weather.

He has made it work with several weather source websites but, when one went bad, you would have to manually change it. So, now he is working on making it change it's source automagically,
But, here is what it currently looks like - sheer magic - the seismic and news (The Onion :p ) conkys scroll up and the music conky scrolls right to left:

He also wrote the wx media player based on mplayer. It would take a movie to show it best.

You can get it here. He wrote his own version of conky called conky-cairo for Arch and it's in the AUR. Conkywx

I'll keep a better eye on the panels and boot with systemd every time I'm in MX, which is quite a lot. :anifish:
Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki for Legacy/MBR and UEFI/GPT systems
Intel Core i7-4770K, Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z87-K, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16GB RAM, 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD, 480GB OCZ VERTEX460 SSD

Jerry3904
Administrator

#79 Post by Jerry3904 »

I'll keep a better eye on the panels and boot with systemd every time I'm in MX, which is quite a lot.
You can set the boot to use systemd every time in MX Boot Options, check the box "Enable saving last boot choice."
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Cavsfan

#80 Post by Cavsfan »

Cavsfan wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:10 pm When I customized the EFI grub I overlooked the option to boot using systemd. But, I've added it and will see what happens.
Here is what I now have for MX: (although my grub is on Arch)

menuentry 'MX 18.1 Continuum' {
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz root=UUID=1cb06a9e-c0dd-467a-bef5-2ad3d1b0e494 ro quiet resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/b564ed75-b9ee-410f-9f87-04afc30a0ff4 splash
        initrd  /boot/initrd
}
menuentry 'MX 18.1 Continuum (systemd)' {
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz root=UUID=1cb06a9e-c0dd-467a-bef5-2ad3d1b0e494 ro quiet resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/b564ed75-b9ee-410f-9f87-04afc30a0ff4 splash init=/lib/systemd/systemd
        initrd  /boot/initrd
}
Cavsfan wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 7:52 pmI'll keep a better eye on the panels and boot with systemd every time I'm in MX, which is quite a lot.
Jerry3904 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:10 pm You can set the boot to use systemd every time in MX Boot Options, check the box "Enable saving last boot choice."
Thanks for that info. and that is a great feature but, as I mentioned I customize my grub and it's on Arch Linux. It will be easy to select the option to boot into MX using systemd.
The reasons I customize my grub are:
1) Except on Arch Linux and openSUSE (which was fixed from a bug I opened), the 2nd img is not added for Arch's initrd /intel-ucode.img /initramfs-linux.img line.
2) I can have a background of my choosing, menu font colors of my choosing and I can control what is displayed on the menu.
3) When you boot this many systems, grub gets much of it wrong. I fix it so every menuentry is like the grub is on the native partition that it is going to boot into.

All Debian based distros are the same in that there are 3 colors that can be used for fonts, If it finds a background picture in /boot/grub. I like having 3 available colors.
On Arch Linux, there is no /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme file, so the picture and font colors are in /etc/default/grub. Also only 2 font colors can be defined - one for the highlighted menu option and one for the other menuentries.
The color above and below the box as well as the color when you edit an entry is white so that necessitates a darker background color or you will not be able to read it.

On MX, since I have not seen a 2nd kernel get installed, no symlinks for /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd, I created them.
On every system when it is first installed these symlinks do not get created until a kernel gets installed via updates.

cd /boot
sudo ln -s -f initrd.img-4.20.12-antix.1-amd64-smp initrd
sudo ln -s -f vmlinuz-4.20.12-antix.1-amd64-smp vmlinuz
I'm guessing that they will be created if a new kernel gets installed but, I'm prepared just in case with a script that would run at kernel installation.
Fedora 29 does not create the symlinks when a new kernel is installed so I have a script that does it. I went through a testing phase until I got it right but, it works every time now,

Jerry3904, sorry for such a drawn out answer for a single sentence reply. I just wanted to elaborate on why I will never need to use that option.

Return to “XFCE Desktop Environment”